Hip Hop beats are too generic

deanlofts

Cubase Addict
So it happened to me for the second time, I made a beat and it sounds nearly identical to another track that has already been released by somebody else. I'm not sure if it was done subconsciously or if it was just coincidence because Hip Hop beats are so generic and everything has already been done before. I'm nearly considering giving it up for a while as I feel really flat and uninspired by the whole thing, will definitely keep doing it for fun and if people need help but I feel like the genre is fading away or evolving into something I can't be a part of. What do you guys think? Is there much left out there worth listening to or have I just grown to a point where I can't relate to it anymore?

Hip Hop music was never really "musical" it was more of a "feeling" type of music. The lyrics have always been the draw but Hip Hop has been around so long that all of the "songs" can't excite anybody for long anymore. The initial few listens are good but there's so much music that no songs have staying power. I remember songs rockin' hard for like 3 months straight before they began to trail off. Now it's a month at the most before the luster wears off.

PLUS! Hip Hop is that active, young mans music. You can't sit around and listen to it. You have to be hanging with friends or at a club or party so you're not just sitting there analyzing it. It's just sort of the SOUNDTRACK of the time and event. I remember some old HIP HOP songs and I remember what I was doing and who I was with when they were playing. So to have it be your car music, your headphone music and your around the house music... will burn you out.

If you make music.... it's 10x's worse because you make and listen to the patterns more than others and like anything else... things get repetitive and boring unless you can somehow keep the fire going. What keeps the fire going for me - kinda - is new sounds, vsts, upgrades, etc.

My music gear is actually equates to "toys" for me. This woman at my job said her husband used their credit card to buy a NEW $400 guitar and he doesn't even record himself playing it. She says he gets an 18 pack of beer and goes into his garage and plays with his guitar, lol. She said it gives her free time and he's happy. Since he's not a diehard at it, he probably has "fun" every time he goes to his garage. Somebody that's in a band and needs a hit to eat or is super critical probably won't have the amount of "fun" dude has.

.... rambling.

the problem with hip hop is that we borrow from every other genre. you can rap over a country instrumental and people will still call it hip hop or 'rap'

What is Hip Hop like for young people?

Does it still excite you?

My son listens to it because his friends listen to it, I don't think he has a "favorite" artist or anything. They just listen to whatever is on.

They sure do cuss up a storm on Xbox though. There's something disturbing about hearing your son cuss but you don't want him to be the punk on the team... ("Aye... keep it down and close your door... aight?)

I don't think young people are excited by music anymore at all. Not that I am even that old but when I was in my teens streaming video was pretty much non existent, mobile entertainment wasn't around and online gaming was slow and for a minority of nerds. What teen in their right mind would sit there and listen to music when they have entertainment that is 1000x better?

Does it still excite you?

My son listens to it because his friends listen to it, I don't think he has a "favorite" artist or anything. They just listen to whatever is on.

They sure do cuss up a storm on Xbox though. There's something disturbing about hearing your son cuss but you don't want him to be the punk on the team... ("Aye... keep it down and close your door... aight?)

I didn't know you can listen to hip-hop (which is a culture) one of the elements of that culture is rap which you can listen to....and the HIP-HOP CULTURE has many sub-cultures as well
the christian sub-culture,the gay sub-culture, etc....

I don't know why "we" say hip-hop I say rap

maybe I'm being too picky lol..

saw Black Rob at the Chinese Buffet with his son....well he looked like Black Rob...lol

-Coach Antonio

I've been venturing into other genres for that reason. I do 80s pop stuff, soul, regular r&b, boom bap, g funk, dub step, anything to get inspired. I was doing some rock influenced stuff early this year some orchestra inspired stuff earlier this year just doing anything to stay inspired. Right now I am doing a 80s pop type track for the Christina Aguilera remix contest Indaba is doing.

So it happened to me for the second time, I made a beat and it sounds nearly identical to another track that has already been released by somebody else. I'm not sure if it was done subconsciously or if it was just coincidence because Hip Hop beats are so generic and everything has already been done before. I'm nearly considering giving it up for a while as I feel really flat and uninspired by the whole thing, will definitely keep doing it for fun and if people need help but I feel like the genre is fading away or evolving into something I can't be a part of. What do you guys think? Is there much left out there worth listening to or have I just grown to a point where I can't relate to it anymore?
Sounds like its time for you to take a break and start studying music that does inspire you from other genres

Yeah I've started doing Computer Programming, maybe the 2 will tie in together someday.
I find that doing other things like that help inspiration too. I know I can't go and make 5 beats a day like I used to. I don't even have the inspiration for that anymore. I now make maybe 1 or 2 a week and spend the rest of the time bsing around the house playing with my kids, video games, Facebook and doing YouTube videos. I actually at times find YouTube to be more fun than making music. My new hobby and I get paid for it with countless free resources lol.

I don't think young people are excited by music anymore at all. Not that I am even that old but when I was in my teens streaming video was pretty much non existent, mobile entertainment wasn't around and online gaming was slow and for a minority of nerds. What teen in their right mind would sit there and listen to music when they have entertainment that is 1000x better?

I know what you mean. Xbox just came out with it's own music service a few weeks ago.

Xbox Music - Xbox.com

Pretty soon if you don't have an Xbox... your social security number will be erased from all databases and you won't exist to the world.

Beats today are too perfect. Too calm. Dudes forgot how to make some noise. Ruff, nasty, dirty, filthy ass basslines got dammit. Dubstep be like "woah that bass is filthy. No the fuuck it isn't....the shit is cute....pet the kitten cute. Goofy ass basslines. Literally retarded basslines. Then you 808 MFers............"I like to distort my 808s so they can sound grimey" face asses. All of these 808s are cute.....pet the kitten cute. Cute ass low end.

Yall don't hear me got dammit!!! I'm going to save hip hop.....young folks been experimenting for too got damn long. I can't change the world.......but I will spark the brain. Because I'm sick of all this cute shit.

Redman has something to say....I'm done talking to you MFers.

Time for sum MFing aksion. Cute ass producers complaining about Chief Keef having guns in his videos.....smh. Time for some MFing aksion!

Got to kill hip hop just to rebuilt it. OH....the beats are the problem. How is a rapper sounding more pissed in an interview explaining a song than the actual song? Rappers need beats like this.....not that cute shit.

Naw man.........FUUCK DAT!!! Redman said he wasn't done.

2Pac said

Spice 1 said

Yall dudes wanna be on some

Beethoven would kick your ass after listening to his own music..........because it gets him crunk....got dammit!!!! DON'T NOBODY MOVE!!!!!! Beethoven probably Wayne Bradyed a biitch after this was finished. That split second french horn solo..........that guy was sweating his ass off in fear of that part to come....Beethoven wasn't bullshiting. You can't beat this man.......give it up!

Snap out of it people!

Last edited:
Rice I know exactly what you're talking about. I can totally relate to every word you said, you should rap dude. You got a organized mind.

Anyways, seriously hip hop beats are generic?

Get out of town. I don't even got to post examples. You listening to that horse shit, you need to be up on the goo goo mang, not the boo boo. **** ass nigga.

I give up. Big Sean wins. I have nothing to say no more. Big Sean is the shit.

Yall youngins win! I give up.

{back into the Delorean to listen to music that had a gang of people on the record covers with their instruments}

Back