Hip Hop beats are too generic

What is too genaric? The quantized to the tee drum programming, or the gameboy melodies? I feel what Rice is sayin', the shit is too cute these days. I was just thinking about this stuff the other day, shit is too exact, and everybody wants me to remake so and so's beat that sounds like that other guys beat, shit is out of hand.

Get out of town. I don't even got to post examples. You listening to that horse shit, you need to be up on the goo goo mang, not the boo boo. **** ass nigga.

People using words like goo goo, mang, boo boo and n***** is exactly what makes me cringe about Hip Hop.

So it happened to me for the second time, I made a beat and it sounds nearly identical to another track that has already been released by somebody else. I'm not sure if it was done subconsciously or if it was just coincidence because Hip Hop beats are so generic and everything has already been done before. I'm nearly considering giving it up for a while as I feel really flat and uninspired by the whole thing, will definitely keep doing it for fun and if people need help but I feel like the genre is fading away or evolving into something I can't be a part of. What do you guys think? Is there much left out there worth listening to or have I just grown to a point where I can't relate to it anymore?

What do I think?

I can agree and understand, but I was thinking about it and this is what I came to...

Maybe the technology is speeding past the need's or requirements of the genre as a whole. for example, when kat's was thumping on SP1200's and MPC 60's where the sampling limit was something we would all laugh at today, they HAD to be creative to form dope music.

I think I might invest in a SP1200, not for the "oh you're not a real producer if you don't have this sp1200" type thing, but to force myself to a limit where I HAVE to be creative and find tweaks to make dope ish.

Having the ability to have limitless space/time to work a sample allows for my creativity to be spaced the hell out and not confined to set limits, if that make's sense.

sounds like you to need to do some digging. alot of dope music comin out right now from all over the world. i dont no what you listen to but try bmb spacekid (one name) album the sound of tomorow...futuristic ish

hip hop generally is very generic now, so switching up to a new sound will set you apart from other people

try new drum sounds from a different source , a different tempo and feel, experiment and break your own rules

And make some beats purely for fun without any pressure of trying to compete or fit in

Good Luck....

most of the stuff i listen to is made on one turntable and an mpc, still sounds alright to me.

Seem to be back into music a bit again now but have been right into Drum and Bass and a little bit of Metal. It is odd because I have been a Hip Hop purist for so long.

start combing other genres into hip-hop. i know it's already being done but this time do it furiously people aren't that rigid when it comes to genre fusion

Seem to be back into music a bit again now but have been right into Drum and Bass and a little bit of Metal. It is odd because I have been a Hip Hop purist for so long.
Well there's your problem - being a purist focused on one genre is bound to lead to burnout. Especially if it's a genre like hiphop, which isn't really the most diverse. But it's cool that you're also into metal and dnb now - that used to be my soundtrack for years. Any particular acts you're into?

Focus on music and not genre....Genre is a social construct just like Race. When we talk about genre it immediately places an expectation that your creativity follows some guidelines that some corporate entity established for the sake of Marketing. If you look at Hip Hop as a culture and not a genre you can understand some of the real driving force behind it. I think modern Hip Hop culture has a much broader exposure to other cultures through the internet and television. This means that we can't classify Hip Hop Culture solely as an inner city movement any longer. Hip Hop Culture has worldwide influence and exposure, so the music of this culture has touched everyone to some degree. If you draw more closely to your personal story, influences and passion, you should never come up with something that is generic.

Well there's your problem - being a purist focused on one genre is bound to lead to burnout. Especially if it's a genre like hiphop, which isn't really the most diverse. But it's cool that you're also into metal and dnb now - that used to be my soundtrack for years. Any particular acts you're into?

Well I'm very much a newb at the moment but I just grabbed an album from a group named Parkway Drive (metal) and I've been into Pendulum and ShockOne for a little while (D&B) but a friend that has been into D&B for quite a while is hooking me up with some less mainstream stuff. I seem to find Nuerofunk is a good path to go down.

Back