Hip Hop Babylon on VH1

C

C.P.

I saw that show hip hop babylon on Vh1 when it came on at 10 AM, it re-airs at 8PM (Central). If you saw it what did you think about it, and if you didn't watch it when it comes back on. EVen though it's about rappers many of us beatmakers/producers are vulnerable to the same things.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw it earlier today at noon..it was pretty good. Im just curious why the show followed around joe budden...im almost sure he wasnt the only rapper to have their debut during the summer...must be because he's part of the def jam machine and maybe the company threw some money at vh1 to follow joe.

That was a good show. It was nice to see Q-Tip get a job.

if you look close enough

this show is nothing but an attempt to get "sympathy" sales for joe budden

the rest of the shht is smoke and mirrors

i'm gonna have to check the credits to make ssure that def jam is not one of the executive producers

:rolleyes:

q-tip is like the dryest person...he just stares at the camerea and talks...no emotion..wtf? then why are the following joe budden?

In all actuality the reason they choose Joe Buddens was because he was the perfect example of what the entire program was about.

-Joe was a "new" artist breaking into the major industry.
-He happened to have a BIG hit single produced by a somewhat big producer
-He found out once he had signed his name that the industry wasn't fun and games.
-Despite having a hit record, and all this promotion he and his label are now second guessing this mans career, even though they would lead you to believe their behind him 100%.
- He didn't go platinum, he didn't sell 100,000 in his first week.
- 97,000 is not enough to deem his record a success but it is enough for him to ALREADY be back in the studio, putting his career on the line in the form of his second album.

While they were supposedly showing the "reality" of the industry with Budden. They were also trying to show where "real" hip hop came from in comparison to where it's at.

Joe Budden only had one single off his album as far as I know...

One single before he dropped...

You need at least 2 or 3 singles man.....

"Pump it Up" wasn't hard enough to ride as the onl single man...

just saw it now, thought it was a good show. makes u take note to things that might haappen in the future

I thought it was good.

The artist's interviews were revealing. They shed some light on a lot of subjects. I think this was the best "made for television" documentary on hip hop culture so far.

Nicnack

I was diggin it . I loved seein the classic groups, and videos. Man that really took me back. You can see the creative differences from the golden era and now. Hip-hop was so much better then, musically, lyrically, and live show wise. These cats out now pale in comparison to the classic groups. When they would flip from a tribe or epmd video to a nelly video, the drop in creativity and talent was just too apparent. Oh well, this wack phase will be over soon, i can feel it.

I truly doubt this non creative era will end any time soon. Wack rap has been prevalent for a minute now. We have not had quality rap since the Wu's debut album. The only way quality hip hop will return is sales have to decrease dramatically for fake thug music and for in the club tracks. As long as its selling the corporate machines including Clear Channel will promote the hell out of it including unfair business tactics. Music will never be the way it once was. That's why you must collect the classics to preserve time.

I thought that the show was informative and gave me perspective on positive and negative outcomes. I thought Budden went at least Gold, I guess he should have had more singles besides Focus, and Pump It Up. Having Pump It Up on the 2 fast 2 furious soundtrack was probably not a good idea afterall.

bump for this show, dope. im glad im taking real estate classes, i know i already passed my prime, im too creative to be commercially successful in 2003, ill settle. all good, all you little munchkins on this board need to see this show and stay da fuk in school.

Back