Hey Traxx, can you play like this?

jbplaya

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/mariopiano.wmv

This has been posted in the playing instruments forum but since like 2 people visit that forum a year I thought I'd post it here. I'm beginning piano right now so I can learn to play everything I hear, so instead of worrying about instruments and drums getting in the way and tryin to filter and eq and it still doesn't sound right I can just find a similar patch in a keyboard and replay it perfectly. I know my dad can play anything he hears on the radio on the keyboard (been playin most of his life) with little to no practice and he tries to tell me how he does it, but he might as well be speaking in Chinese. I know J-Traxx did that dope rendition of Rad Racer so this kind of reminded me of him. I know sampling is an art form, but imagine if people like Kanye West, Alchemist, Timbaland etc.(who all own ASR-10's by the way) put their hours and years into learning the keyboard instead of chopping samples, so when they sample they won't have to pay as much, or maybe change a melody just enough so they don't have to pay anything at all. That's exactly why I'm teachin myself the keyboard. Hope I don't get in trouble for double posting, but I could see how learning to play this good can relate to hip hop production. Shout outs to all my hip hop keyboard players

Oh yeah, and this post is in no way any disrespect to primarily sample based producers. I only mentioned Alchemist, Kanye, and Timbo because they all acknowledge they use live musicians from time to time. I thought it would be tight if you get to a point where you don't even need to pay musicians to help you on your tracks. Seein as how there is every instrument known to man on a keyboard, and the newest ones like the motif can emulate any noise an instrument makes perfectly right down to the guitar fret noises when you change chords, that would be the most likely and universal instrument to play for not only hip hop but all genre's of music. Kind of like a Dr. Dre would need a Scott Storch, but I don't know if a Scott Storch would particularly need a Dr. Dre just to come in and lay drum patterns. But Dre is more famous and successful than Scott Storch probably will ever be, so go figure.

I've been playing keyboard/piano for 12.5 years now and I feel that I can play anything you hear on the radio (I'm classically trained). I feel that this is a useful skill to have, as you don't have to pay other people to play instruments for you (but I've got a bunch of friends that have been playing for as long as me or longer, that play violin, guitar if I ever need a real instrumentalist for one of these instruments). The thing about sampling though, is that it allows you to get a certain sound or feel that would be hard to achieve, even if you can play every instrument that appears in the sample. I use a combination of samples and keyboards to make my beats - some of them are all keyboards and some of them are samples with a little bit of keyboards. (My Soundclick page doesn't show what I've been doing know - I've got a lot better since putting these beats up on Soundclick.)

this man has memorized this music from the sheet you can tell by his timing and it'd take me longer to get the all the chords breaking down by ear than it took him to read it and remember it but i can do this but not as good as this guy. he'd fukin kill me on the keys.

on second thought.....no i cant play like this. to be honest. but i'm cool with myself thouggh and if i needed to i could sequence and get the same output but i'd hire this dude to do it on a live show while i dance around like diddy and get paid............. dam...i said "like diddy"...:(

jbplaya said:
I know sampling is an art form, but imagine if people like Kanye West, Alchemist, Timbaland etc.(who all own ASR-10's by the way) put their hours and years into learning the keyboard instead of chopping samples, so when they sample they won't have to pay as much, or maybe change a melody just enough so they don't have to pay anything at all.

If the aforementioned producers were to have gone that route, then who would give a fukk about them. They found their nitch doing what they do....which happens to be sampling. If Kanye were a piano playing producer, what would be so interesting about him and what would make him any different from the rest of the (as DS would say) "Triton toting" producers in the world? Im just giving my perspective, not tryin to flame BTW.

Last edited:
This guy seems as if he might be at a music school. I could play this if I worked on it for a little while, but I'd rather work on making new music.

on second thought.....no i cant play like this. to be honest. but i'm cool with myself thouggh and if i needed to i could sequence and get the same output but i'd hire this dude to do it on a live show while i dance around like diddy and get paid............. dam...i said "like diddy"...

Lol. Yeah you can tell this dude does this for a career and if not, trains like he does. That fool goes bananas at the end. I got alot of respect for J-Traxx, ianscott111 and anyone who can put it down on the keys because I hope to get where ya'll are at one day. It takes extreme discipline and patience, especially when you're just doing left handed scales for 3 hours a day. And for kontak80, I meant imagine playing and practicing in addition to still sampling, kind of like ianscott talks about. These guys obviously have fantastic ears for music that I believe some people are just born with. Imagine if they just built on that and learned instruments, how different music would sound today. And when you get started in this game, you quickly realize that just because a producer totes a Triton doesn't necessarily mean they know how to properly play it. You'd be surprised how many hip hop producers don't actually know how to play. We've all seen that Lil John video on his Triton. Anybody can get on a keyboard and bang out a little ditty or melody. I still sample by the way, I'm just learning the keys in ADDITION to it. I think learning the keys only enhances your creativity and music theory and I think guys who know how to play have a leg up on those who sample, which is primarily about digging and finding rare music. Like Shondrae used to say all the time, hip hop is the hardest genre of music to break into because it is the easiest to make. I think the more versatile you are, the more people can see your indispensibility.

Actually in the Video Lil Jon was just doing percussion on the beat on his triton.He already had some of the melodies laid down.And he's been making beats for 10 years so of course he knows how to play keyboard.You should check out some of his slow jamz, there almost better than "child-fukker" R Kelly.

lamborghini said:
Actually in the Video Lil Jon was just doing percussion on the beat on his triton.He already had some of the melodies laid down.And he's been making beats for 10 years so of course he knows how to play keyboard.You should check out some of his slow jamz, there almost better than "child-fukker" R Kelly.

what are you talkin about? i suggest you watch the movie that was posted, then post.

JBplayer was talking about the 0:26 Little Jon video and I was 2 so...

Back