Has Pete Rock gone wack?

JamesyDame

TBH I loved Pete Rock man. He got me inspired to make beats like his around 6 or 7 years ago, when I first stumbled across his work. Recently his work has been alright IMO, and I've always placed him above J Dilla, my next fave producer. But after hearing that 80 Blocks, vols 1 and 2, man I believe it's just some substandard rapping over substandard beats. Anyone else feel this way about PR?

J Dillas been my favourite since forever. And Pete Rock is class, even now. You have to understand that these producers have had to update their formula, which changes who they are a bit. Look at Premier, he's never going to be as good as he was when he was doing Gang Starr in the 90's... Look at Large Professor, he's still making dope beats, but his peak was back when he was doing Main Source.

I read an interview with PR the other day, where he said he can hardly find any soul samples anymore so he's turning to other genres to sample. Also, he doesn't make as many beats as he used to. He said he made about 15 a day, now 3-5. That's probably a reason for his "down fall"... Personally, I find I make the sickest beats when I take a break. I've been on a break for about a month now, and I know when I pick my MPC back up, I'm going to create some gold. So maybe what he needs is a break, and then he'll hear that shit he can turn in to the next Press Rewind/Deda track...

His brother still brings that soulfulness though. Grap Luva hasn't lost it. And Damu the Fudgemunk, I feel is taking over the reigns from PR.

Last edited:
grap luva is still a beast, but yeah i reckon pete rock isnt as good as he was. Although its hard to to top the heat he produced in the 90's!

Pete just needs to reinvent himself and maybe incorporate some of the newer software into his production. He's got an outdated old school ear too that's still looking to flip traditional samples.

You know just because you don't like PR's new style of music doesn't mean you cant appreciate and reminisce on the great amount of amazing work he's produced for all of us to listen to from the past...

Last edited:
that 80 blocks from tiffany isn't really a fair way to critique pete rock. from what i understand it was a bunch of leftover/unreleased acapellas thrown on unreleased beats. so they weren't even intended for each other. i agree it's not all that good a series so far though.

I read an interview with PR the other day, where he said he can hardly find any soul samples anymore so he's turning to other genres to sample. Also, he doesn't make as many beats as he used to. He said he made about 15 a day, now 3-5.
No ownder he can't find any soul samples lol 15 beats a day damn

PR is still one of the best. His basslines are insane. I still love that 90's style Hip-Hop and doesn't really listen to much else in the rap genre. I think the problem is people expect some other shit nowadays. His sound is still pretty much the same... And thank god!

What i've noticed. Pete Rock was looping way more 10 years ago than on his more recent shit. Now he's doing a lot of choppy stuff which i don't like as much as his old shit.
His best work of beats are on Petestrumentals IMO.

that 80 blocks from tiffany isn't really a fair way to critique pete rock. from what i understand it was a bunch of leftover/unreleased acapellas thrown on unreleased beats. so they weren't even intended for each other. i agree it's not all that good a series so far though.

this!

What i've noticed. Pete Rock was looping way more 10 years ago than on his more recent shit. Now he's doing a lot of choppy stuff which i don't like as much as his old shit.

i personally love the choppy shit. back when i got into hiphop, the beats in my country were always choppy at that time. no straight loops and stuff..

not easy to loop on sp1200,his beats were always choppy, but i guess they sounded more fluid...

he always had the best drums in hip hop though

In my honest opinion, his beats had a certain "feel" about them when he produced on the SP1200/S950. I remember watching that PR documentary recorded during the making of Soul Survivor, and just watching this guy meticulously twitch and adjust the sample until it sounded perfect to him on a machine that's notoriously limited is what made his early shit better to me. Remember the video where he chopped up "Love is a Battlefield" on the MPC2500? Remember how easy it looked for him to program that shit? Perhaps he needs to dust off that SP1200 again ...

In my honest opinion, his beats had a certain "feel" about them when he produced on the SP1200/S950. I remember watching that PR documentary recorded during the making of Soul Survivor, and just watching this guy meticulously twitch and adjust the sample until it sounded perfect to him on a machine that's notoriously limited is what made his early shit better to me. Remember the video where he chopped up "Love is a Battlefield" on the MPC2500? Remember how easy it looked for him to program that shit? Perhaps he needs to dust off that SP1200 again ...

It was the 2000xl you were talkin bout for anybody that's tryna look it up and yeah I think most of the time people are a lot more creative with limitations...

It was the 2000xl you were talkin bout for anybody that's tryna look it up and yeah I think most of the time people are a lot more creative with limitations...
Yeah, I know the video he's on about. It's on You Tube! I know I have to set myself limitations so I can create my best shit.

Pr still Number One for me ...no doubt. I pay tribute to PR. October 14, it will be release on BandCamp. Here's my snippet on line. Hope not to let you down ! Bless, Peace from Paris . 5kiem

Back