Gospel Rap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icesolated.Com

Do ya think that gospel rap can make a significant dent in the hip-hop culture??? A lot of it to me where I am from is corny and over-preachy...It seems like a lot of cats are afraid to get creative with it and it just becomes mundane and wack...and then I hear the other extreme and a lot of cats are packaging their music as Gospel rap but aint nothing gospel about it...Me being a spiritual man, I would like to see a decent gosepl rap come out that is raw and is hip-hop not Kirk Franklin ish...I like him and all but I dont wanna hear that all the time...My question to you all who care do you think that gospel rap can make a significant dent in the hip-hop world...Will cats accept it???

you should check out gospel gangstas - "questions" it's the best effort i've heard so far and they all have street cred as ex-bangers and criminals. they have a good message and got that westcoast and lil southern style. you may like it. :cheers:

there's a jesus rap channel that comes on mad late in orlando...

i think it's cool they're rappin, but i really really doubt it'll ever carve a niche for itself in hiphop culture or mainstream....religion and the arts rarely mix to form a powerful artistic force...sisteen chaple, dante's inferno, paradise lost, a couple hundred years worth of paintings and music, but in the big scheme nothing contemporary

more often than not they repel each other and some crazy **** happens...

read - caravaggio

I will check that out thanks Traxx...and Boogie you right in a sense...interesting post but didnt Lauryn Hill kind of do it in her Miseducation...I think it can be done...it just has to exhaust its creative, artistic, and spiritual possibilities...I am not talking stuff like "Dont Drink, Dont Smoke", bull I am talking a creative and artistic gospel spiritually, conscious, hip-hop album that is raw...mad flava, just crazy...off the hinges

I've never really heard any gospel rap,Im gone have to check it out.

And religion and spirituality are in many media outlets and are the basis for many great films i.e Star Wars, The Matrix, The Lord of the Rings, Malcolm X, Passion of the Christ, and many more that I cannot think of at this time....I think KRS-Ones attempt was too preachy...but I think that it can be done in hip-hop...Lauryns was on point...It can be done

Let me give you some names of guys to check out.

KNINE-kninemusic.com

GRITS-Factors of the Seven- MrBlunt.com said it was one of the top 10 albums of all time. Period.

4th Avenue Jones-hiprocksoul.com
Kinda Like Roots without. Live Instruments.

SHONLOCK

They rest mostly i cant stomach...

Maybe LA Symphony

right now i'm working with a cat that used to be affiliated with rawckous records and he live down in fla. it's gonna be on the gospel tip and of course i'm trying to lace a hot beat for him to spit to. he got a really nice flow too man. his name is everett cadien. be on the lookout. dude is tight.

Word I can dig that...Good looking Questien I will check these cats out as well when I get the chance and Traxx I will definitely be on the lookout for ya guy...when he drops let a cat know...

As far as East Coast groups go, my boys Cross Movement be up on theirs too. They're from Philly, and "Holy Culutre" is a great CD.

www.crossmovement.com

Enock, from Houston:

http://www.muchluvvrecords.com/artist-enock.php

That brotha is a real as it gets (regarding from where he's come from)

Like J-traxx said, Grits, some others are Sean Slaughter, Knine, T-Bone, etc...

As far as really, really penetrating mainstream, time will tell. I believe it will though, and although people will still buy some of the crap that's out there today, some might look towards other forms of hip-hop, like "holy" hip-hop and hopefully find salvation as well.

Kanye's third verse on "Jesus Walks" really speaks to this situation.

Craig G said:
As far as East Coast groups go, my boys Cross Movement be up on theirs too. They're from Philly, and "Holy Culutre" is a great CD.

hey man, them dudes are REALLY good.

I did some work with a Gospel rap artist a few years ago. He was actually an mc in my group who heard his calling and BAM! did a 180 degree turn on us to go and follow God. It was cool but then it seemed like his skills and ear for hip hop went out the window. His rhymes were still tight but his choice of tracks wasn't there anymore. The song we did together on his album which came out on a Christian label called Grape Vine outta Austin recieved good reviews and some airplay but there wasn't too much of the album that I honestly liked. I don't think Gospel or Christian music in general will ever see it's just deserves simply because people are too materialistic today.

j-traxx said:
you should check out gospel gangstas - "questions" it's the best effort i've heard so far and they all have street cred as ex-bangers and criminals. they have a good message and got that westcoast and lil southern style. you may like it. :cheers:

Gospel Gangstas???? :confused: WTF. There this cat named T-bone he's aight i guess. i just can't really get into it. You would think Gospel Rap would be popular since a lot of hip hop heads want positivity back in hip hop. i guess the " God " thing kinda turns people off to it

Originally posted by dj rreal I don't think Gospel or Christian music in general will ever see it's just deserves simply because people are too materialistic today.

I agree

i guess the " God " thing kinda turns people off to it

co-sign

Mixing spirtuality and hip-hop is an uneasy mix because you don't want to rail againt your fellow brothas in the hip-hop community and tell them what they're doin' is wrong, but you can't compromise Christ's message either.

It's a tough line to follow, but the artists that I named do it well, IMO.

Hey, we even have an Eminem clone, too. Check out KJ-52. He is pretty nice on the mic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back