Former Def Jam Artist: "Before I Had This Record Deal, I Was Happy"

Sounds like someone who was uninformed as to how the music industry actually works.

You're there to make the record label money. So you make their product in order to make them money.

If you don't wanna do that, then don't sign a record deal.

And for the record, this is NOT a hit...

For the 'Kid Rock' crowd it would be a hit.
I heard songs like this on the Alternative Rock station.

A little cleaner, but they have 'Alt rap rock' songs that Everlast and other indie rock bands are doing like this now.

So you never know. not the mainstream rap station, but rock stations are replaying rap songs like this now.

Last edited:
for the kid rock crowd it would be a hit.
I heard songs like this on the Alternative Rock station.
A little cleaner, but they have Alt rap rock songs that Ever last and other indie rock bands are doing like this now.

So you never know

This is NOTHING like Everlast...Not even CLOSE to what he was doing.

the old school breakbeat rap songs sound ... Plus a hit is subjective. How many times have labels passed on songs that went on to do something. Only to have the labels fight to get them back.

The hook on Rosanna" is how a lot them rap songs on Alt. rock station..
Stuff white kids like to get drunk and foolish with.

I didn't say it was the next big thing, but a hit is truly determined by the marketplace.
Not the so called experts. They get it wrong all time.

Last edited:
the old school breakbeat rap songs sound ... Plus a hit is subjective. How many times have labels passed on songs that went on to do something. Only to have the labels fight to get them back.

The hook on Rosanna" is how a lot them rap songs on Alt. rock station..
Stuff white kids like to get drunk and foolish with.

I didn't say it was the next big thing, but a hit is truly determined by the marketplace.
Not the so called experts. They get wrong all time.

so do artists. They are so close to their music, and so emotionally invested, that they can't see through that to be objective with their music.

Again, he didn't know what he was getting himself into. He should have had a more realistic view of a record deal when he went in.

He didn't say he didn't know what he was getting into. You made that conclusion.

He stated they were trying to change his style with other producers.

He gave it a shot and decided against it, but he didn't go in blind.
Many famous artist have complained the same way just like him

Last edited:
I wouldn't sign to Def Jam with a gun to my head. Real talk. Only person I'm making money is myself and the artists I chose to work with.

Back