FL Studio: A Staple in Hip Hop???

.......so the other day I was in the store looking through a copy of XXL mag and this particular issue featured: XXL's "The List: Top 150 People, Places And Things In Hip-Hop During The XXL Era".

As I was flipping through the pages there it was.... Fruity Loops. lol. Can't say I was shocked tho, just thought it was funny.:pointing:

Also: No mention of Pro Tools... :sigh:

i agree that its a staple in hip hop. not only hip hop but music period.

fruity loops probably has more influence than protools.

it has made it easier than ever to create music more conveniently for the average nobody.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cant remember exactly what it said but it did say something like how it basically devalued (for lack of a better term) the ( studio / producers / music ).

I think people pretend to have a problem with all the shytty music that comes from FL to hide the fact it basically replaced rooms full of equipment in the right hands evening the playing field for talented musicians on a budget.

Before FL, people didn't use Pro Tools without an MPC, a few instrument racks, and Workstation keyboard running to it. FL kind of set the tone for music production all being done(in a completed fashion) within the box.

Not saying other programs couldn't do the same, but IMO, none covered all angles of production in such detail. Nowadays, we can forget that when we see how far these other programs have come. I'm talking the days of Cubase 2/3, Sonar XL, Pro Tools 5(? maybe 6?). No program gave you IMO EVERYTHING you needed to completely produce a track within the box like FL Studio. Now when it came to multitracking, mixing, mastering, these programs were the shyt. But keep in mind these guys put out stuff like Kinetic, Project 5, Sequel, ect. to compete in the "beatmaking" game before they fully integrated production tools into their main DAWs.

I cant remember exactly what it said but it did say something like how it basically devalued (for lack of a better term) the ( studio / producers / music ).

makes sense.
the more availability, the less rare , and less value there is.
like platinum and gold vs aluminum and copper.

Its funny how the debate from FL STudio SWUNG from it being a toy to being a staple in hip hop. Around 08 or 09 the only producer on record of using it in hip hop was i think 9th Wonder. Now every trap producer uses it and only it. But also legit producers like Travis Scott and HitBoy.

But now people flock to it like it will give them a sound. But just like pro-FL fans were saying back then it holds true today. FL Studio is just a tool to accomplish a task. Its like using a gun instead of a bow to go hunting. It makes the process easier but doesn't seem as skillful.

There's certain things as a FL user that does annoy me about its popularity though. Like the obvious way drums, snare rolls, and hi hats are arranged. It always screams FL. But I love sampling with FL, just seems like an easier workflow.

A staple of Hiphop in the right hands, a blight to humanity in the wrong.

Couldn't have said it better BG. Like DaBomb said, FL makes the workflow easier. Instead of having to learn software/hardware to make beats, you can just start the program and start producing. Another thing that sparked it's popularity is the price of the software (as well as the easy access to get a cracked version for those who don't pay for it).

I think people pretend to have a problem with all the shytty music that comes from FL to hide the fact it basically replaced rooms full of equipment in the right hands evening the playing field for talented musicians on a budget.

Before FL, people didn't use Pro Tools without an MPC, a few instrument racks, and Workstation keyboard running to it. FL kind of set the tone for music production all being done(in a completed fashion) within the box.

Not saying other programs couldn't do the same, but IMO, none covered all angles of production in such detail. Nowadays, we can forget that when we see how far these other programs have come. I'm talking the days of Cubase 2/3, Sonar XL, Pro Tools 5(? maybe 6?). No program gave you IMO EVERYTHING you needed to completely produce a track within the box like FL Studio. Now when it came to multitracking, mixing, mastering, these programs were the shyt. But keep in mind these guys put out stuff like Kinetic, Project 5, Sequel, ect. to compete in the "beatmaking" game before they fully integrated production tools into their main DAWs.

The reality of FL studio is that many people can make rap music. 4/4 isnt difficult to grasp. Expensive equipment in the past was the obstacle for many.

Last edited:
I wish they would put another daw on the map with hip hop so it wont be so narrow to just FL.

Remember when everybody was on Reason 2+ and it was getting so much attention...now what happened after the users got almost everything they've been asking for.

Nothing against FL...but idc anymore if someone made this or that with it...not even a wow factor in it anymore.

Last edited:
I wish they would put another daw on the map with hip hop so it wont be so narrow to just FL.

Remember when everybody was on Reason 2+ and it was getting so much attention...now what happened after the users got almost everything they've been asking for.

Nothing against FL...but idc anymore if someone made this or that with it...not even a wow factor in it anymore.

When you think of FL studio what genre comes to mind...?

I wont lie and say I don't think of Rap, Hiphop, trap R&B. I used FL for years and grew away from it, but I think of them genres first because that's my norm of what I'm surrounded with. I also think of Electronica, Dubstep, Drum & Bass, Pop, Dance Hall.

Orchestral, Rock, Country, Choral, Jazz...not so much. I'm used to hearing and seeing stuff that can be programmed in with FL...Not saying its non existent, because there are people out there who do make that kind of music with FL and I have seen, but on a small scale. Usually they're using something more linear based geared on recording audio from an instrument and not to much midi and vst programming.

Most people who don't use FL know you got to be specific when you search for things especially on YouTube where you write "FL" and something like how to make a trap beat in FL comes up instead of Florida lol. I know I find my way working around FL results a lot. Either that or I translate whats going on in the video, tutorial into my Daw. Seriously though write FL in YouTube and try it for yourself...You would be lucky if you had 3 results for Florida.

I find in many cases where someone hears my stuff or I say I do instrumentals...they're so quick to ask...like yo what you use Fruity Loops? Like damn nah lol. You use a MP? Nah...nothing against it but that shit gets nerve wrecking sometimes lol.

I find in many cases where someone hears my stuff or I say I do instrumentals...they're so quick to ask...like yo what you use Fruity Loops? Like damn nah lol. You use a MP? Nah...nothing against it but that shit gets nerve wrecking sometimes lol.

Its all in your head. lol. I mean, what does it matter what you use?

IMO All that really matters is the finished product and whatever helps me get that idea down the fastest when creativity strikes...
Whatever DAW, keyboard, drumset, etc.. that is - I'm rollin wit that.

Yeah your right about that. I just said the same thing to someone else lol. Its not even the fact that its FL really...its just everyone makes beats now...and FL is more common these days. I cant even feel right boasting anymore lol. Its like oh you too now...Its like that same feeling you get when you've been rapping for years then its like everybody on the block rapping all of a sudden. Nothing you can do about that though except do better.

Yeah your right about that. I just said the same thing to someone else lol. Its not even the fact that its FL really...its just everyone makes beats now...and FL is more common these days. I cant even feel right boasting anymore lol. Its like oh you too now...Its like that same feeling you get when you've been rapping for years then its like everybody on the block rapping all of a sudden. Nothing you can do about that though except do better.

I know the feeling.
Thats a big reason why I don't really bring it up in conversation. I guess it might be different if I was making some big noise..
When music does come up, its usually the other person in the conversation bringing it up like: "you working with ( artist name here ) lately?" or "How's the beat thing goin" or most recently: "I just sold a beat exclusively, how does that work?" lol. :sigh:

I agree. DAWs just do more now, and FL caught on with the beatmaking crowd, for whatever reason. Maybe because a few producers came up into prominence using it (even without MIDI controllers, in some cases), and hey.. that looked easy, right? Maybe it has better stock sounds than other DAWs.... I can say the Studio One stock instruments are below-average for beats, imo.

I have heard more about FL being pirated than other DAWs, but I have no info to back that up. I just feel like I see people post about FL cracks from time to time, and not much for other programs.

Back