Fantastic speech on the future of the music industry

galacticboy

Registered Loser
The backdrop, of course, is one we know well, a story we’ve heard ad nauseum at this point. Physical sales are decreasing (~20% Y/Y). The “two hit songs for $17 at Best Buy” business is over. Digital sales are increasing (~40% Y/Y) but it’s not making up the difference. Not only is digital not making up for physical sales, as the tracks are unbundled and the model is a singles-driven iTunes business, the actual value of a unit of music continues to plummet.

That said it’s with great respect and with the belief that I’m as big a lover of music as anyone in this room I admit to you:

I don’t care.

http://topspinmedia.com/2008/11/grammy-northwest-musictech-summit-keynote/

Not a lot of new information for anyone who follows the music industry closely, but it is summarized and presented very concisely.

A good read for anyone hear who wants to be aware of the current state of the music industry and how they can best succeed in this environment.

Looks very informative...i'm gon read later...thanks for post

let the lames argue about their bull****. great thread. cats should be taking these ideals and running with it but....

galacticboy said:
I haven't found a vid yet, but I'm sure there's gotta be something online somewhere.

it's alright, Finally had a chance to read the whole speech. very enlightening. :sing:

Back