everyone will read this thread cos i made it

So Foolish

Check the liner notes of your favorite hip-hop CD. If there are any string instruments on the album, chances are Miri Ben-Ari's name is in the fine print.

bet_awards_300.jpg

Miri Ben-Ari has worked with hip-hop artists and released her own string album, a set of collaborations aptly titled "The Hip-Hop Violinist."

The classically trained violinist makes an unlikely hip-hop star, with her Israeli accent and wild ringlets.
But when today's A-list musicians need someone to play or arrange strings, they call on Ben-Ari.
Jay-Z, Wyclef Jean, Fabolous. Ben-Ari has worked with them all. She's featured prominently in Twista's video for "Overnight Celebrity."
In 2004, she won a Grammy for her strings on Kanye West's "Jesus Walks." Then last year, she came out with her own hip-hop string album, a set of collaborations titled "The Hip-Hop Violinist."

Ben-Ari has been working on her sophomore album. No release date has been set, but the album is already making history.
The CD's first single, "Symphony of Brotherhood," is the first instrumental album on Billboard's Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Singles sales chart. Though the song's success might be shocking the suits at record companies, Ben-Ari, in a phone interview, says she has always had faith in the public's ability to appreciate "real music."

Q: What's something about classical music that the MTV generation could appreciate?
A: Are you serious? Classical music is real music, not like bubblegum music. It's real music with real instruments, first of all. Let's talk about that. They're actually using instruments. No samplers, no machines, no machines wanting to sound like instruments.

Q: How do you identify with hip-hop culture?
A: Hip-hop culture is the current culture of today. It's the popular culture, and if you are a young person living today, this is the current culture, so everybody's hip-hop to a certain extent. When I started getting involved with hip-hop music, since I'm from Israel, what I related to personally was the struggle.
But they appreciate my guts and my music. They were like, "You know what? She's different, but she's not afraid to be her and to be original." And this is something that they represent, too.

Q: You were accepted immediately? You were never booed off the stage?
A: I never had a bad show, never in my life. I'm not even talking about I never had an OK show.

Q: Have you been surprised by your success?
A: Yes and no. When I started, everybody told me that it would be impossible, and they kept saying it over and over again and I never listened. So if I didn't believe in my ability even that it's one of a million to really cross over ... I'll never be able to convince my audience. The other thing is that I don't really underestimate my audience like most record labels do. I actually believe that people like good music, and you don't need to sell them cheesy music in order for them to digest it.

Q: Who are your fans?
A: Everybody. That is one thing that you do when you have music that is not affiliated with certain words because it's music, so we're not limited to a language.
And there is something also that you capture even stronger when you're female ... something about being a female playing a violin that is a little bit you know, it has sex appeal and for people to see that, they cannot really hate on me. You know what I'm saying? It's so harmless.
So all old people, young people, white people, Asian people, black people they all relate to that. Who doesn't like to play instruments?

Q: Do you feel at all limited by the nickname "Hip-Hop Violinist"?
A: No, I feel honored because Jay-Z and Wyclef gave it to me. That's how I was stamped to come to the world, almost with the stars on my shoulder from the greats saying, "You know what? She's all right. She can actually play. And we hear the struggle, and we hear the street, and we hear the soul through her music, and this is why we call her the Hip-Hop Violinist."

--

someone post a link to the single i aint heard it.

Last edited:
Does this amount of replies hurt your ego?

... just going by the thread title...

Last edited by a moderator:
biggrome said:
Does this amount of replies hurt your ego?

... just going by the thread title...
loooololooll i knew the first reply would be like this. the # of views is HILARIOUS though

Oh, I didn't see that. People are disliking you from afar. You'd better be careful.

I wear a fake handle-bar mustache and afro wig around Seattle so people from FP won't attack me out in public.

Mainboi23SX said:
So Foolish=Kanye West

but on other note Miri Ben Ari is GREAT at twhat she does.
Thats why I let her play some violins on my first album. But I got Jon Brion to do the music stuff on the second one.

biggrome said:
I wear a fake handle-bar mustache and afro wig around Seattle so people from FP won't attack me out in public.

::tosses Rome the Humpty Hump nose and glasses for safety::

Miri Ben-Ari is the truth.

So Foolish said:
Thats why I let her play some violins on my first album. But I got Jon Brion to do the music stuff on the second one.

Nice so who's next? I heard you and Jon Brion is hiring like a whole orchestra for this next album (100 musicians strong)?

So Foolish said:
Uhh I dunno Im not really Kanye West damn. but whered you hear that.
ever heard of a joke, dumbass. btw weren't you the one who looked up sirjaneus and found out he posts on a pee fetish board? is so then get a life.

bobsmitt said:
ever heard of a joke, dumbass. btw weren't you the one who looked up sirjaneus and found out he posts on a pee fetish board? is so then get a life.
no that wasnt me but pee fetish lolollololol

Don't anybody get pissed off in thread...

Too bad there's no really big market for that chick. I'm pretty sure she eats but she's novelty. Her career is over too.

Nah man, she has a back up plan if hip hop dont pan out for her... she can actually play =). Wouldnt take much for her to go symphonic and make cash that way.... she's already got a grammy for credentials right?

EDIT - heres her bio from AskMen.com website (came up on Google)

biography

Miri Ben-Ari was born in Israel in 1978, and raised in a small town near Tel Aviv. She began to play the violin as a child and became a classical music prodigy, drawing the attention of legendary classical violinists Isaac Stern and Yehudi Menuhin. She attended Master classes under them, and when, at the age of 10, lessons became unaffordable for her family, Stern recommended Ben-Ari for a scholarship from the America-Israel Cultural Foundation. The young prodigy was accepted, and was given her first violin from the organization.

Upon entering mandatory military service at the age of 17, she was selected to become a part of the acclaimed Israeli Army String Quartet. She was also put in charge of cultural activities, which included organizing entertainment for the soldiers. It was during her stint in the army that Ben-Ari discovered jazz, and quickly became enamored by the complex musical form, especially the playing of saxophonist Charlie Parker.

miri moves to america

Following her military service, Ben-Ari relocated to New York City in 1997, to attend the Mannes School of Music and further her jazz training. She studied under Betty Carter, as part of the late jazz legend's last "Jazz Ahead" program. She made her international recording debut that same year, appearing on Roseanna Vitro's tribute to the music of Ray Charles, Catchin' Some Rays.

A showcase at the renowned Blue Note club led to a contract with Half Note Records. Ben-Ari released her debut album Sahara just after wrapping up her studies in May of 1999. The recording received good reviews, and opened the doors for guest appearances on albums by a variety of artists, including Ted Nash Double Quartet with Wynton Marsalis, Santi Debriano and Blackmore's Night.

ben-ari becomes a hip-hop violinist

After making a name for herself as both a classical and jazz virtuoso, Ben-Ari's musical journey veered toward the urban sounds of contemporary R&B and hip-hop. She began jamming out those styles on her violin at open mic nights around the Big Apple, and was introduced to rapper Wyclef Jean through a mutual friend in 2000.

Impressed with her dynamic playing, Wyclef invited the violinist to appear onstage with him for his Carnegie Hall Concert in January 2001. The following night, she wowed the audience during Wyclef's Showtime at the Apollo set for NBC-TV.

Now known as the "Hip-Hop Violinst," Ben-Ari was invited to add her urban strings sound to Jay-Z's Summer Jam set in 2001. She made appearances on albums by artists such as Allure, Jimmy Cozier, DJ Logic, and Wyclef Jean's Masquerade (2002). She received plenty of exposure through her appearances on hip-hop programs like Def Poetry Jam on HBO, as well as BET's Rap City and 106 & Park.

Ben-Ari's second jazz album, Song of the Promised Land (2001), released through Mirimode Productions, featured the dance single "Peace in the Middle East," as well as collaborations with jazz and classical trumpeter Wynton Marsalis on two tracks.

Ben-Ari and her violin became increasingly in demand, and in addition to gigs in the pit orchestras of Broadway and off-Broadway shows, she became a busy recording sessions player.

She wrote string arrangements and played for artists ranging from Britney Spears, Alicia Keys and Patti LaBelle to Jay-Z and The X-Ecutioners. In November 2003, Half Note Records issued Temple of Beautiful, recorded live at the Blue Note Club three years prior.

ben-ari and kanye, college dropout

After carving out a name for herself as a versatile player, rapper Kanye West sought out Ben-Ari's musical expertise to co-write, co-produce, arrange, and perform all of the strings on The College Dropout, his much-anticipated debut effort. The album became a major best seller and the young violinist spent a good part of 2004 touring the U.S. and Europe with West, as well as appearing on nationally televised programs like The Tonight Show and the Late Show.

2004 also found Ben-Ari contributing to Brandy's Afrodisiac album, Janet Jackson's Damita Jo, Trick Daddy's Thug Matrimony: Married to the Streets effort, and Twista's hit "Overnight Celebrity." She was also busy at work on her first hip-hop album, which includes contributions from Mya, Fabolous, Lil' Mo, Twista, Pharoahe Monch, and West, who rhymes on and co-produces several tracks. The single "Sunshine to the Rain," featuring Scarface and Anthony Hamilton, was released that December by Universal.

miri wins grammy award

Nominations for the Grammys were announced in December 2004, and West picked up an impressive 10 nods. Ben-Ari won her first Grammy for co-writing "Jesus Walks," which received the trophy for "Best Rap Song" in February 2005.

The Hip Hop Violinist was released on Universal in March 2005, while "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah," a collaboration with Lil' Mo, preceded the release of Syndicated: The Lil' Mo Hour another disc on which Ben-Ari's work is featured.

Last edited:
Back