Elements of The Signature

N

normalisboring

When I made the decision to match mainstream production when I started out 2 years ago, I decided that I would not be amazed by anything I heard anymore.

This, I feel, is the first step taken when crossing from listener and fan to beatmaker. You become a critic.

I have hit that goal. To an extent.

Fast forward to last week: I am exposed to a new Clipse song called "I'm Good" produced of course by Chad and Pharrell. In keeping with my pact with myself I force myself not to be blown away, despite the fact that the production is quite good.

But I find myself thinking: how the f*ck do they do that?

Nothing in the production particularly blows me away.

Not the calming piano.

Not the wriggly synth that plays throughout.

Not Pharrell's voice being panned left, right and center as he sings "I'm looking good" with the note he sings in ascending everytime.

It is a laid back song.

Yet I still wonder, how do they make a beat sound like its theirs EVERYTIME?

Is it certain sounds they use (like that wriggly synth and the piano with a jazzy feel)?

Or is it how they use these sounds (I've noticed the Neptunes only play with high notes)?

Standing out production wise has become a sort of obsession with me. I need to know, people:

What are the elements in a beat that gives certain producers that signature?

What makes you know that's a joint produced by your favourite producer before you even see the credits?

melody arrangement on this one...they changed their drums...
but it's strill pinao + synth in the same arrangement...

There can be alot of things that producers do that you can tell that they made the beat. It could be the sounds they use, the drums they use, how they sequence, how they program drums or play melodies/chords. Some producers have a signature tag that lets you know its them or they may have some signature effect or sound that they use in almost every beat to let you know its them........

Last edited:
Back