Drum kits and vsts

Wow didn't think of that. I used to play with the filter, fade out, and pogo and I would get it close but not enough.

---------- Post added at 05:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 AM ----------

See that's the thing, back when I first started making beats, I used to sample all of my kicks, and that snare from My Boo was one of them, I knew it was open but it still has a hihat playing over it.
The one in my boo has to be truncated a little bit after you sample it so you don't hear the hi hat. You can easily add some reverb maybe even a clap under it and it will sound the same as the song. The rhianna one you just have to eq it to get rid of the sub or you can put a hi pass filter on it and adjust it to your liking. I just eq'd and turned up the attack a little to get rid of some sound nuisance.

Attachments

• Rockstar 101 snare.mp3
    32 KB · Views: 50
  • GhostTown Snare.mp3
    7.5 KB · Views: 40
@Kyng I actually think I might have that snare clean....I'll be back when I get off class

damn that was perfect isk

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

Tex I love that Rockstar snare I'm not really feeling that my boo one though. I appreciate all the help fellas

There's a lot of DRUMMA BOY, LEX LUGER, SHAWTY REDD DRUMS & SAMPLES floating around the net, but there are still quality sound kits that's worth investing in. Some drum kits and audio sampling engineers know what producers want and they know how to make quality sounds.

cant believe nobody mentioned the Boi-1da kit. its free off his site. and he got a new one comin out soon
that thing is clipped to holy hell lol. forget layering or compressing it. I mean it works in a lot of cases but damn have you seen the wave forms in that kit!

that thing is clipped to holy hell lol. forget layering or compressing it. I mean it works in a lot of cases but damn have you seen the wave forms in that kit!

what do you mean sir?

they work perfectly fine for me

best drumkit I have in my library

i still think it's one of the best ones out.

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

what do you mean sir?

for me too

just got off work. . .here you go sir. . .

You are ALMOST there.

A sine-wave is a "perfect" object. You get a good representation of it in every synth, but it's never gonna be "ideal".

What you did is create a distorted representation of a sine wave, by mixing a square wave with a "saw"/"triangle" wave.
That's how it was done (creating a sine wave) in some synths that could only create a square and a saw wave.

SquarePlusSawEqualsSine.JPG

By using the EQ, you evened out the distorted parts in the upper harmonics (the high frequencies distortion the square generates outside of the sine wave as you see above) and made the distortion sound "dull".

The problem is, that on the low frequencies (the sub bass that "boooooooms"), you want to avoid said distortion, so that good systems (be it in cars or clubs/studio monitors) can play the sub bass at high volume without blowing their speakers. How is it achieved?
Create a synth like you did but instead of using an EQ, go to the filter option and if 3xOSC allows an own filter for every oscillator, then for the square and the saw wave, use a HPF (High Pass Filter) and cut out all the LOW frequencies until you hear all the distortion, but almost no bass. Now the (harmonic) distortion is still there, but the low bass that "booms" is clean. Mix the sine wave to taste.

Last edited by a moderator:
what do you mean sir?

i still think it's one of the best ones out.

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

for me too
Check these 2 kicks out. The top one is from Illmind's Boom Blap Kit 2. That is how your samples are supposed to look. There is no distortion on the samples what so ever. Now look at the bottom it is a kick from the Boi1da kit. It is distorted badly. What this means is that the Illmind drum sample will be easier to mix, layer and do a number of other things with because its not clipped. This is what happens when you let your master fader level go into the red. The number one audio no no that you are told on being a producer day 1. These drums cannot be fixed and do not offer enough head room to allow for good layering or compressing with other kicks should one want something that actually sounds good clean and smooth but hard hitting. These are just obnoxiously loud. Add this to trying to get your mix/master loud and it becomes one big cluster **** fast.
llmindkick_zps22a64b9e.png

boi1dakick_zpsf1c0ab28.jpg

^^^^^lmao! Disagree.

Second kick goes "Boooom". First kick goes "Poof". Now I got to layer the MFer with a "booom".

I bet the kicks on this song looks like the second kick.

Last edited:
^^^^^lmao! Disagree.

Second kick goes "Boooom". First kick goes "Poof". Now I got to layer the MFer with a "booom".

I bet the kicks on this song looks like the second kick.

Thats the difference between a final mix and a source sound though. Do you think the source sounds looked like that too? I don't

I would bet $1000 that the kicks on that song were "specifically" distorted or even already distorted before the final mix.

And it's wrong of you to find one of the "distorted" drums in that kit to prove your point just to big up a nondistorted kick in another kit. Come on man! I use the Boi1da kit.....have it sorted out and all of that. The drums were already created and used in songs. And the seperated kicks from the one layered kick are NOT distorted........unless they were meant to be. So it is unfair to tell people that probably don't know any better that the kit they are using is no good........when it's the same drums that were on shit like

Not only the drums in their layered form.......but all of the drums that made the one drum. Come on man. lmao! You know you wrong for that. :cheers:

I would bet $1000 that the kicks on that song were "specifically" distorted or even already distorted before the final mix.

And it's wrong of you to find one of the "distorted" drums in that kit to prove your point just to big up a nondistorted kick in another kit. Come on man! I use the Boi1da kit.....have it sorted out and all of that. The drums were already created and used in songs. And the seperated kicks from the one layered kick are NOT distorted........unless they were meant to be. So it is unfair to tell people that probably don't know any better that the kit they are using is no good........when it's the same drums that were on shit like

Not only the drums in their layered form.......but all of the drums that made the one drum. Come on man. lmao! You know you wrong for that. :cheers:

How is it wrong to have a differing opinion? I don't feel the kit is that great and every kick i pull up in there is clipped. maybe i am picking the wrong sounds from the kit but i haven't pulled up a sound from it that kit that was not distorted. i pulled up a random sound from the kit its not like i went looking for a distorted kick to make a point. I feel there are other better kits out there even free ones I just happened to pull up a kit that I like.

I never look at the waves.......never have. Even though I understand what I'm looking at I don't really care just as long as it sounds good. We can go as far as to say 2/3 of the reason redrum stock drums are distorted. Just because a wave is squared off doesn't mean it is automatically digitally distorted. Maybe someone knows a little something about squaring the attack to get the sound they are going for.

Last edited:
I definitely agree with Kev on this. If your source material is already over compressed/clipping/maximized/ there is less you can do in the mix. When I look at the stems in my DAW ABSOLUTELY NONE OF THEM look like the waveform in the second picture. Limiting can be applied during the mix down process to make things sound louder but you don't want to start with audio that looks like the second waveform.

No offense to anyone in particular but if you prefer the louder source file over the first one it translates to two things IMO

1. don't know how to mix so you want to get the loudest, boomiest sound right away with little or no work during mix down.

2. You aren't listening to the sonic characteristics of the source material, you're only using it because it's loud or boomy.

Once you learn to EQ, compress, limit, maximize and mix for yourself you'll see that having source material that is recorded properly is the ALWAYS the best way to go. Once you get to this point you can take a regular, standard kick from a live drum set and make a banger with it. :)

Last edited:
Back