Dr. Dre -- 'I'M THE 1ST BILLIONAIRE IN HIP HOP'

I mean.....cool if it really means that much. Not hating, but are we really going to "TAKE AWAY" from the first musician to make a billion from strictly "music"? Sorry to be the only person in the world not excited about these guys trying to use music as something to make them the first at something outside of music. It's ignorance to me actually.

Aliko Dangote - Forbes

Get some more billions, and leave music out of it to validate something.

@yokuzin- Um,i think u a little overboard with that one. Not sure where u live but round my way billionaire status (which means your wealthy not just rich), is a big deal. Dre is an entertainer by trade, not a businessman, and even if he was it would be a big deal. Last I checked they're are only a handful of African-American billionaires. Plus, you never make that kinda money with just music, you have to get on the executive level to deal with loot like that. For someone who usually opposes generic haters, u kinda sound like one.
I'm not trying to go in on u bruh, but being a billionaire is nothing to minimalize.
And I know this doesn't mean that Dre will all of sudden make the lives of poor people better.

Last edited:
I don't even want to respond after others, feel like this is now a hate thread, lol. But I'm "hating" too. It's not like he made the cash off music. That's like me hitting the lottery for a billion a week ago and calling myself the 1st billionaire hip hop producer. He's definitely a billionaire, great producer, and great businessman, but I can't act like you won that title. So i guess before all this Puff was the "richest hip hop producer?'

Just titles, and what does my opinion mean? I'm broke, lol. And in the end, there's nothing Dre couldn't do with $550 mill that he can't do now with I'm guessing a good enough chunk of a payout to make him worth somewhere around $2B? What loses me is...why would Apple pay that much? Aren't those headphones on a decline? Maybe still selling in other places, but I don't see people with those like I used to.

EDIT: @mwandishi, good point, I almost overlooked the fact we got another black billionaire, that's what, like #7?

Last edited:
I don't even want to respond after others, feel like this is now a hate thread, lol. But I'm "hating" too. It's not like he made the cash off music. That's like me hitting the lottery for a billion a week ago and calling myself the 1st billionaire hip hop producer. He's definitely a billionaire, great producer, and great businessman, but I can't act like you won that title. So i guess before all this Puff was the "richest hip hop producer?'

Just titles, and what does my opinion mean? I'm broke, lol. And in the end, there's nothing Dre couldn't do with $550 mill that he can't do now with I'm guessing a good enough chunk of a payout to make him worth somewhere around $2B? What loses me is...why would Apple pay that much? Aren't those headphones on a decline? Maybe still selling in other places, but I don't see people with those like I used to.

EDIT: @mwandishi, good point, I almost overlooked the fact we got another black billionaire, that's what, like #7?

Are you KIDDING?!?!?

Of COURSE he made that cash off MUSIC!!!!

The ONLY reason that those headphones sold even 1 unit is because of the DR. DRE BRAND. Which is nothing but music...Wreckin Cru. NWA. Eazy E. DOC. Ruthless Records. Death Row. Snoop Dogg. Tupac. Aftermath. Eminem. 50 Cent. The Game.

Beats is a brand who's identity is BASED in music.

This is about a milestone for HIP HOP. And as a child of HIP HOP, for me, this is MAJOR.

#Inspiration

@deranged I don't really understand Apple's angle either. i saw a couple of stories and he owns only about 20% of the company, so that would put him in the 800-900 mill range after the deal, so all the haters can relax.lo. he's not really a billionaire I guess.

Good shyt Dre. I have the old source magazine right after he left Death Row and was broke. See what talent, hard work and a little luck will get ya. There's no way I can say anything negative.

Are you KIDDING?!?!?

The ONLY reason that those headphones sold even 1 unit is because of the DR. DRE BRAND. Which is nothing but music...Wreckin Cru. NWA. Eazy E. DOC. Ruthless Records. Death Row. Snoop Dogg. Tupac. Aftermath. Eminem. 50 Cent. The Game.

This is about a milestone for HIP HOP. And as a child of HIP HOP, for me, this is MAJOR.

#Inspiration
Great point!
A little tribute music

I'm not trying to go in on u bruh, but being a billionaire is nothing to minimalize.

Didn't minimize it.....check my post again. :cheers: It's like we got a man with 25 b's......but we will glorify a guy as being significant because of some subconscious race to be the "FIRST" one as being a part of the music biz. Do it big for real and don't try to use a genre of music to validate an amount of money that was other people's goal also. Want to celebrate for "HIP HOP".....don't do it because a wealthy company bought your brand. Do it when you got a billion record sold.....NOW THAT'S SOMETHING RIGHT THERE!!! All I'm saying.

@deranged I don't really understand Apple's angle either. i saw a couple of stories and he owns only about 20% of the company, so that would put him in the 800-900 mill range after the deal, so all the haters can relax.lo. he's not really a billionaire I guess.

He was worth at least 200 mill before the deal.

My guess on why Apple bought it up was to make sure that Beats Music doesn't impact their Apple Radio, so they bought the entire brand in order to shelf that portion of the business and possibly incorporate aspects of it into their business model. In the end this will net them more money than what they spent.

Beats electronics itself is currently still doing well but without doing research I am going to say it has most likely peaked. If I were Apple I would leave Beats as it's own company and allow it to remain a decent revenue generator which should be good for another couple years as it sits and if Apple plugs some money and research into the brand they can revive it then include a set of headphones with purchases of certain products.

What would not be a good thing is if they begin to include the Beats electronics and music processing into their computers. It is a flawed processor and musicians who rely on Apples products to create and process music will begin to step away from the brand in large numbers.

I obviously don't sit at the board meetings where these things are decided, but I can see the logic behind buying it.

As for Dre's end of things, him and his partner(s) built a brand that is profitable and desirable to others. They also built a brand that had become a threat to a huge corporation, had it not been for music Dre would never have been in the position for any of this to come about and he does still produce...so yeah he is the richest man in hip hop without a doubt and regardless of how you want to split hairs.

Are you KIDDING?!?!?

#Inspiration

That's funny. People did not buy beats by Dre because of HIS music. lmao! :cry:

It's like saying these young dudes buy Jordans because they are a fan of Jordan as a basketball player. smh.

I would believe it............if this was 2002.

Last edited:
That's funny. People did not buy beats by Dre because of his music. lmao! :cry:

It's like saying these young dudes buy Jordans because they are a fan of Jordan as a basketball player. smh.

I would believe it............if this was 2002.

You must not READ GOOD!

I said they bought those headphones because of the DR. DRE BRAND, which is a brand BASED IN MUSIC.

Had Dr. Dre never had a music career, those headphones would have NEVER sold. Had they not had the Dr. Dre cosign, they would have NEVER sold.

Dr. Dre's INFLUENCE sold them. And how did he attain that level of influence?

THROUGH HIS MUSIC LEGACY.

You must not READ GOOD!

I said they bought those headphones because of the DR. DRE BRAND, which is a brand BASED IN MUSIC.

Had Dr. Dre never had a music career, those headphones would have NEVER sold. Had they not had the Dr. Dre cosign, they would have NEVER sold.

Dr. Dre's INFLUENCE sold them. And how did he attain that level of influence?

THROUGH HIS MUSIC LEGACY.

AKG-Q701-Quincy-Jones.jpg

My point.............

Wait a minute....let's use a better strategy to sell these things.....
DV016_Jpg_Large_H68927.003_green.jpg

Last edited:
That must be nice. He can blow 100 million on the most riskiest business idea and still have dough for his grandkids. That's what the great minds do anyway invest in R&D. I'd get ecclectic and try all sorts of shit like building an underground bunker and invest in a few technology startups, finance movies etc... I'd even start pimping politicians.

Last edited:
AKG-Q701-Quincy-Jones.jpg

My point.............

Wait a minute....let's use a better strategy to sell these things.....
DV016_Jpg_Large_H68927.003_green.jpg

Those would sell BRILLIANTLY....

If there was a market for Headphones for 80 year olds....

:cry:

#GTFOHWTBS

Quincy Jones hasn't been a tastemaker in music for 25 years. Not to mention that the last time Q even stood at a podium with a baton in his hand was back in the 80's.

It's downright FOOLISH to think that just because you slap someone's name on the side of something that it means it's going to instantly sell...which is EXACTLY what this is.

Clearly, you don't understand marketing nor branding.

Holds no significance really, there's more to life than money.

Some people can never just congratulate a brother on a job well done. The only negative thing I can say is I wouldnt want folks to know I got a billion dollars but I guess this is his way of rubbing it in Suge's face.

Last edited:
Those would sell BRILLIANTLY....

If there was a market for Headphones for 80 year olds....

:cry:

#GTFOHWTBS

Quincy Jones hasn't been a tastemaker in music for 25 years. Not to mention that the last time Q even stood at a podium with a baton in his hand was back in the 80's.

It's downright FOOLISH to think that just because you slap someone's name on the side of something that it means it's going to instantly sell...which is EXACTLY what this is.

Clearly, you don't understand marketing nor branding.

lol......my point. I'm not the one saying Dr.Dre's "brand" is the reason.....GTFOHWTBS. :cheers: Because Timbaland's brand would not have enough "power" to compete with Dr.Dre.....ask yourself why? He has a brand also....especially dealling with MJ's new album, right? Brand didn't mean shit.....it could've been beats by Quincy Jones......or beats by Timbaland.........or beats by Teddy....and it be the same outcome as today. It was perfect timing and destiny. They may have been in talks from the beginning about this. Come on, ni!

Back