Domain names

Nicro

Does it really matter where I get one? I just want a domain name to link to my SC. Are there any services better than others?

Look around, different folks providing different levels of service @ whack prices (<$10 which is less than what it costs to register the name with icann), so some hints,
  • make sure that you own your domain name rather than your host provider owning it but leasing it to you for the duration of the hosting contract at which point they will gouge you if you want to retain it (supposedly illegal under icann's terms of provision but no-one has tested it yet to see if they will stand up for the vendor or the lessee)
  • make sure that you understand how to properly point the nameservers at your registrar to your sc or other location where the domain name is supposed to take people typing it in.
  • make sure that you keep the information in the icann database to a minimum - you have to provide some contact information and a name - use something other than your own name and phone numbers and physical address if you can.
  • beware of any snail mail or e-mail from anyone other than the registrar you used about renewing your domain names - they will be scamming you no doubt - this was common at the start of the century.

Last edited:
I just tried with Godaddy and it said it would be $11 dollars then at the end it said $75. How the hell do you get it for 97 cents?

You must have taken hosting or all their different services with it to get the price up like that.
Google for Godaddy promo codes before buying, you'll get it cheaper.

You must have taken hosting or all their different services with it to get the price up like that.
Google for Godaddy promo codes before buying, you'll get it cheaper.

OK I'll look for the promo codes. What exactly should I get from there though if I'm not getting the hosting? Thats what I thought I was supposed to get.

Use the INDY129 for godaddy domain register and you'll only pay $1.29 for the first year.

After that simply foward the domain to your soundclick url, it's really easy!

Domain: a url

Hosting: if you want to build your own website, you want to forward your domain to soundclick so you don't need hosting

Yeah I get mine from godaddy too. You can forward it to your soundclick page if you want. I your buying a EDM (exact match domain eg Buyrapbeats.com) make sure to do some research. Make sure that the EDM domain you buy has a good monthly search like 1000 and above or else its a waste of time. Use the google keyword tool to help you find good keywords for good EDMs. Make sure the keyword too is set exact match not broad

Back