Does Everyone On Hear Sound Like They Think They Sound On Records?

LdN2

I know this is kind of a newbie topic but I have been recording my vocals semi-regularly for about a year now and still think I sound different when played back.

I am happy with my out loud vocals but when I play my sh*t back I sound weird....luckily rappers with weird voices stand out so It could be a good thing.

Im just wondering if people who have been recording longer than me feel this way??

Natural. Me and everyone I know who raps feel the same way; but my friends tell me I sound dope so I just roll with it.

Need a good mic with a decent pre to capture what you are loving in your ear "where you at" without recording. A lot of people also think they sound good in an untreated recording area, then they go to a real studio and keep clearing their throat and checking the mic.....whispering the verses.........then record.......lose the swag..then blame the studio for them not sounding good.....then they quit rapping.....then they turn suicidal because they felt rap was their life. With that said, if you like what you hear unrecorded, then the problem is obvious when you record and it doesn't sound like what you hear. Your mic is noisy as hell, pre noisy as hell, you are not rapping in the mic the correct way or your headphone mix is too loud or too soft in your ear. Has nothing to do with the room because "you like what you hear off tape.

Save up and get a good clean mic and a good clean pre. Studios may cause you to lose your soul. Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde effect.

Last edited:
i know this might sound stupid, or maybe im incorrect but it might be because not only are you hearing the sound projecting from your mouth but your ears are also picking up that inner hum when you normally speak.....(if that makes sense....lol).....in other words a mic just picks up what comes out of you mouth/ your ears pick up both.
but overall i think ^^^^^^^ he's right.

Last edited:
For some reason I never reason how country I sound when I speak and the first time I heard it was when I recorded my first track I heard how I pronounced some words. Mostly ends that end in -erd and rhyme with said. Kinda funny.

A mic (condenser) picks up what you don't even notice, like birds and cars and fridges and shit. So if you have some cheap headphones you may not hear the other stuff and with good headphone if you don't hear that stuff it bled in your recording (which if it sounded good to your ears without recording and like it it's a good thing.) Save money and get the right shit. I used to love how I sounded on a 4 track tape with a dynamic mic back in the days and hated going to a studio because I felt lifeless......at home I can kick some shit over if I wanted to. Damn a clean vocal, let the birds chirp dead gummit......let the neighbors loud t.v into the recording...put some soul in the shit..........BUT HEAR AND RECORD THAT SHIT FOREAL!!! is what I'm saying.

My opinion.

One of my boys who has his own studio and raps says he has to record how he performs because the difference is so extreme. The difference in the way he talks, freestyles and performs are three completely different voices.

^^^^I wish Serious Jones would rap on wax like he does freestyling.....two different dudes. Alot of rappers I knew rapped a higher tone with too much energy on a dynamic and lower tone with a condenser. It's like they feel girly or something on a condenser and put some bass in their voice....and it sounds like they are mocking themselves on the mic. lol But when they spit it in the street and braggin and shit........they top 5.

With that said and for those who are looking for help, you have to find that voice you are comfortable with....then you will sound good no matter if it's in the studio or on a cheap cam mic. Don't be hardheaded when someone try to help you in the studio, either........rappers are the most hardheadedest mofo.....will not perform like they want to and when you notice and point it out....they meant to do it and shit.....hate that shit....then blame it on someone else for their mess up.

Need a good mic with a decent pre to capture what you are loving in your ear "where you at" without recording. A lot of people also think they sound good in an untreated recording area, then they go to a real studio and keep clearing their throat and checking the mic.....whispering the verses.........then record.......lose the swag..then blame the studio for them not sounding good.....then they quit rapping.....then they turn suicidal because they felt rap was their life. With that said, if you like what you hear unrecorded, then the problem is obvious when you record and it doesn't sound like what you hear. Your mic is noisy as hell, pre noisy as hell, you are not rapping in the mic the correct way or your headphone mix is too loud or too soft in your ear. Has nothing to do with the room because "you like what you hear off tape.

Save up and get a good clean mic and a good clean pre. Studios may cause you to lose your soul. Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde effect.

Yeah I have a good condenser mic but lame recording environment. Always a ton of sound behind my vocals which makes them harder to mix into a song. Most of the time i mix them thru a guitar rig so they sound distorted as I cant get them to sound clean.

^^^Mix the song into the vocals. Turn the "sounds in the background" into ambience. As long as you have the perfect part of your room to capture the best "you", your fridge is off, the a.c is off, you are not too close to the computer, planes are not flying, you don't live by an interstate or train, or anything that will be recorded and sound like consistent noise, you are good to go (with a good mic, soundcard, good pre, good headphones. All of these things will make background noise sound beautiful.....the fan on a computer doesn't sound beautiful. Then when you mix, the birds will be the sound that have someone trippin in the song......but they don't know it's a bird. Someone next door t.V will be a voice speaking to someone subconsciously while you rapping. You song may change someones life because of the background noises. :)

^^^Mix the song into the vocals. Turn the "sounds in the background" into ambience. As long as you have the perfect part of your room to capture the best "you", your fridge is off, the a.c is off, you are not too close to the computer, planes are not flying, you don't live by an interstate or train, or anything that will be recorded and sound like consistent noise, you are good to go (with a good mic, soundcard, good pre, good headphones. All of these things will make background noise sound beautiful.....the fan on a computer doesn't sound beautiful. Then when you mix, the birds will be the sound that have someone trippin in the song......but they don't know it's a bird. Someone next door t.V will be a voice speaking to someone subconsciously while you rapping. You song may change someones life because of the background noises. :)

Yeah I have no idea where the best part of my room is tho.......got a LONG ass mic cable that I move the mic around with. Everywhere I put it still sounds muffled. Plus I have no treatment up [IE Eggshells or foam etc].

Back