Do you use actual CONTRACTS, when selling beats online?

JehfreeBeats

I'm still new to the whole selling thing, but I have an emcee who wants exclusive rights to a beat, but needs a contract. Usually I just send the stems, and the .wavs and call it a day. But He needs a contract. Which made open my eyes and I feel I should send one.

Does anyone know where I can get an Official template or Exclusive Rights contract or something?

Any help would be great!!

Thanks,

Jehf

I've always been curious about these things too. The concept of being able to download a contract seems interesting, but I can't help doubting that these would actually hold up in court should something go awry. Anybody else wanna elaborate?

Last edited:
Those pre-made contracts are risky.
It would be good if you could get a half-payment now to draft the contract with an entertainment lawyer, then get the rest after you send it to dude.

Or at least find one to look over that one you downloaded.

Those pre-made contracts are risky.
It would be good if you could get a half-payment now to draft the contract with an entertainment lawyer, then get the rest after you send it to dude.

Or at least find one to look over that one you downloaded.

That's what I was thinking. I didn't know you could half-pay like that to draft it. I need to look into how to get set up with an entertainment lawyer, so I can finally get some things poppin'. I've been concentrating so hard on just being an artist, that I kind of let my plans of producing for others fall by the way-side. Is there anything else out there that explains working with contracts when it comes to things like Exclusive and Non-Exclusive rights and all that jazz? Perhaps I'm not searching the right way, but it's quite frustrating to learn these things......

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking. I didn't know you could half-pay like that to draft it. I need to look into how to get set up with an entertainment lawyer, so I can finally get some things poppin'. I've been concentrating so hard on just being an artist, that I kind of let my plans of producing for others fall by the way-side. Is there anything else out there that explains working with contracts when it comes to things like Exclusive and Non-Exclusive rights and all that jazz? Perhaps I'm not searching the right way, but it's quite frustrating to learn these things......

I meant if the guy you're selling the beat to give you half now, and half when you deliver the contract, so you can pay to have the contract drafted.
It's not cheap, but I'd rather pay now and be covered then face problems down the line.

You should start here https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304600 and explore the Legal section as there are some good threads there.
Pick up some books too on the subject.

I know it's a ***** but these days you gotta be involved in every aspect of your career.
I wish it was as easy as just making music and having others take care of the paperwork for you.

I am outside my comfort zone here, but I am pretty sure that if you are selling your beats through Soundclick or another online media showcase site, you can basically put a "contract" with the licensing terms right there on your page (similar to a EULA you have to agree to before installing pretty much any software) and before they can download, include the words: "By providing payment for, and receiving one or more copyrighted musical works, you (the licensee) are expressly agreeing to the terms set forth in the exclusive licensing agreement presented above (or below)." Use more professional and legal words, of course, and then just write out the terms of your contract and label it your "Exclusive Licensing Agreement". It's still legally binding, but its not as solid as a piece of paper signed by both parties.

They could argue that they got ahold of your beat from someone else and had no knowledge of the licensing agreement on your site, but if you do all of your business through soundlclick using paypal or something similar, you have documented evidence that they got the instrumental off of your site, and therefore had to have agreed to the licensing agreement in order to DL the instrumental.

Just another option to think about. Not everyone has money for a lawyer to write up a contract for you. Definitely read the other articles on www.grindefx.com and maybe shoot dwells or galacticboy here on FP a PM asking them what are the bare basics that should be included in your contract.

As was already said, be wary of pre-made contracts available on the net. Somebody please correct me if I'm off on any of this.

@K-1ne

Sweet, that was a good read. Very informative. I'll probably be hanging out in that section more often now. Thanks man.

Last edited:
I find it easier to draft up my own basic contract. If you have a list of terms and agreements and you have consideration (money), then it's valid. However, like everyone else said it would save you some hassle just to go to an ent. lawyer.

I've been told that non-exclusive licensing terms can be implied, the person agreeing to the terms by purchasing the beat, but that exclusive licensing agreements should be written out in order for them to hold up in court... If it ever came to that...

Back