Do you follow trends or make trends as a producer/beat-maker???

Tallhane

For all of those who make beats out there, do you follow trends; try to reduplicate styles that are out there because they're successful and thus your chances of your beats being successful increase (as far as sales). Or do you try and make a name for yourself, think outside the box, do things that are out of the norm but they sound hot to you. Its also, a risk your taking because you're not to sure how people will react to this new sound.

I'm curious about one thing.A lot of people complain about the path that rap is taking, beats are integral parts to rap songs, its shows what type of direction a song will take even without listening to the artist on the beat. For those who follow trends and don't like the current state of rap/hip-hop aren't you contributing to the problem by creating beat's with similar styles to those that are trending big in rap music? Is the dollar sign greater than finding a solution...? I'm not trying to stir up anything, i'm just trying to understand the logic behind it that's all.

Also, if you have your own style or trends, I would like to check out your beats. Post a link to your beats.

Anyways do you follow or make trends when it comes to you making beats?

Last edited:
tough question to answer

i think what i try to do is stay aware of trends, and whats poppin at the time but never to piggyback off a trend without adding something orignal or your style. For instance I hear alot of records that sound like the producers just said "thats what this sounds like" without actually breaking it down and using their taste.

I think the most important trends are song structure and overall feel, instead of specific instruments, patterns etc.

For instance right now if you want to make it on the radio on hip-hop/pop or R&B the chorus has to be BIG so if thats your goal make it big, also most hip-hop thats getting popular in clubs or on the radio is half tempo, not in the high 80's and 90's thats not doing it right now.

When I still made beats yes, I followed a trend if you count old, expired trends. I don't really like beats that aren't boom bap.

I think starting out in careers we all bite and try to emulate whatever artists/producers we like in order to get ideas down...then hopefully as you progress all of those techniques combine into your own style and you start to get comfortable with naturally coming up with something on your own.

This applies to anything.

Kids emulate their parents/other kids until they figure out who they want to be.

38995.jpeg

I think starting out in careers we all bite and try to emulate whatever artists/producers we like in order to get ideas down...then hopefully as you progress all of those techniques combine into your own style and you start to get comfortable with naturally coming up with something on your own.

Kids emulate their parents/other kids until they figure out who they want to be.
^^^This, It takes a great follower to become a great leader.

I do both really but not the obvious "LEX LUGAH 808s HITTIN! I GOT GET DEM"

I don't listen to the radio [at ALL] but when i hear a popular song or a certain swing or tempo, i may incorporate elements of that into a new beat or two and see how an artist reacts, but i won't continuously "jock" the style.

Maybe if i hear a certain snare or perc trending among songs i may try to tweak a sound to get a similar effect with my own style on it. [ex. Wiz Khalifa's Kush & OJ most of the song's beats had cowbells as percs]

But i do have my own style i've yet to let anyone hear that i have been working on to get perfected.
I was thinking about crafting a beat tape to shop it around online and maybe someone will feel/hear what i hear on it and change the whole sound of hip hop/rap/rnb as we know it.

I was also thinking to find a artist that i could mold into putting the lyrics exactly how i hear them [and wrote them since i have written songs to some of them already].

The flow sounds nothing like anything i've heard [i listen to every type of music from J-Rap to DnB] and the beats have original feeling straight from the feeling of me and the zone i enter.

Its called Stang.

Pardon my rant, i usually lurk but, i feel like this a good topic.

follow me @KEYBOYY_HITZ

Yea F00T got it. Most people start out imitating but sooner or later your own style emerges from it. Now I never really think of what is trending or what isn't, I just make what sounds good to me at the time. Sometimes my beats are inline with the trends, sometimes they're not

great post

This is a copycat league and I'm not going to shoot myself in the foot because I want to buck the trend if I have a legit opportunity to submit just to "do me". Like somebody said earlier, you need to be aware of the trends. It's just a matter of twisting a beat to reflect your style and taste, but also staying relevant. Now if we're talking personal beats, well, trends can eat a..........!!!

yeah like most said, i like to do do my own thing but incorporate (if neccessary) something relevant in todays trends.
But most of the time i just like to go with my workflow and mood.

Last edited:
You can't have your head in the sand and ignorant about what the trends are but don' be a ****in clone! Cuz the Beats that are in right now were Produced a while ago n the big names are already workin on a new sound.

Once u find out what vsts lex luger uses and perfect that snare roll its gonna be too late

Back