Do hobbyists get less respect from serious producers?

xtrordinare

just what the title says...

imo, from particular heads on fp, i believe so, but i wanna know what yall think

The things is... I can call myself "serious" tomorrow and be right where 90% of the people on here that claim they're "serious" are at.

Sell 3 exclusives on Soundclick and you're ahead of some of 'em.

I think a lot of people get "serious" in spurts. Plus by some of the clowning with gifs and kiddy jokes and whatnot I see on here, less people are serious than it appears.

People want you to assume that they're serious it seems, sometimes I hear their music (after they decide it's worthy of being posted) and I think... this can't be serious. More times than not.

No hate to anyone.

... I've seen "serious" people just say they're serious... no other proof of nothing. A $20 Soundclick layout and a myspace page, no real work or completed songs, no placements, no artist... no nothing ... :rolleyes:

Most of the DIY guys don't really make much noise either... but they're serious... I guess. Homemade graphics and a z share link doesn't qualify you as being serious... like I said before... who can't do that... today.

Hell you got people on here that make up titles for themselves...

I plan on being serious next week, watch out.

P.S.:There is no need to quote, comment on or reply to this post. Answer the original question in your own words... like I did.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking most of the serious ones either don't visit here as frequent or have moved on really.

there are exceptions and people who really are in it for the community all bull**** aside (i.e - modus, deranged, troup, obi) though so understand I'm not generalizing.

If I were really getting placements or selling non-exclusives/exclusives crazy on my OWN website (ala no SC) LAST THING, I would be doing is posting on ole' hating-ass FP all day. readin' about Johnny Juliano and "DESERT WASTELAND" every three threads. I'd probably be on a forum like SOHH or Hip Hop Utopia instead just chillin'

I think you should have used the word "professional" instead of "serious".

And to answer, yes. Why shouldn't they? Do weekend golfers that go out on the course with a 18 pack get respect from pro golfers?

Doubtful.

Does a person that paints a picture of a landscape by watching Bob Ross get respect from an artist that fills a gallery?

Doubtful.

Same applies to anything that people get paid for, yet some group of the general public consider a hobby. Of course, there's always going to be the select few who treat it as a hobby, but their innate talent shows through. Those people probably get some respect from the more "serious" folks because they perform at a level closer to what is professionally expected.

IMO There's more important things to be worried about than whether or not someone respects you for a hobby. I got the high score in Asteroids at an arcade once when I was 9. I'm still waiting on my ticker-tape parade...

the thing is the hobbyists are doing it for fun. its something they enjoy doing, but just dont hav ethe time to dedicate themselves full time to become serious or "professional" because they have families or fulltime jobs and other obligations..but if they make hot ish then i dont see why they shouldnt get the respect..music is music and if the pros arent having fun doin it then they shouldnt be doing it themselves or get the respect. imo if a hobbyist is making good music and having fun in the process and getting creative then yes i think they deserve respect

I don't know, I've never met anybody that has made any considerable money from Music apart from the Mastering Engineer that worked on the album I produced a few years back. I would like to be "serious" or professional in this business but I won't risk everything I have to pursue it full time, I'd end up living on the street.

In all professions, not just praDUCIn', I count as serious professionals people who do or have done one or more of the following:

Pursued advanced education
Pursued internship opportunities
Pursued mentoring opportunities
Read industry newspapers, journals, magazines, websites
Watched industry-related television shows and web videos
Attended industry conferences whenever your resources permit
Obtained the best tools that you can afford
Spent time learning the history of your profession

Oh, and the most important thing: work at what you are saying you are a pro at!

Last edited:
I think they do. If u dnt do this music full time I think they will always will

just curious...

is having the next man's respect that important?

as a beatmaker/producer you are only one hit song away from looking down your nose at others too...

what is the big deal?

out of all the top 25 producers from 1995 name them...

the glory of being on top is short lived...

so what someone does not respect you...

the goal is to earn their respect...

a hit will do that!!!!

Hobbyist that think they are going to "get on" without putting in the work required to make a career of this, get no respect from me.

This is a serious craft, and serious business. This is my life's work, and I put my all into it, to build a lifelong career.

If you want to make music as a hobby, then that's fine...I'm all for it. I like to play basketball too, and I do it as a hobby. But NBA players aren't going to respect me if I try to run up in their camps and practices, acting like I'm entitled to their status and position...because they've put in a lifetime of work to be where they are, and I haven't.

Hobbyist that think they are going to "get on" without putting in the work required to make a career of this, get no respect from me.

This is a serious craft, and serious business. This is my life's work, and I put my all into it, to build a lifelong career.

that is a given...

i personally have a problem with someone calling themselves a producer just because they own some gear or have a myface or soundclick page...

just like granddad would say...

"an individual earns respect"...

I sort of agree with you Troup. I have put about 4 years of serious effort into what I do but I would still call myself a hobbyist. I've been working on making oppurtunities for myself but it still hasn't given me near enough to call myself anything more. There is def different levels of skill in hobbyists around though.

I've seen hobbyist "get discovered" from FP... then they became serious.

Not all of them got a big head behind it though.

There music was as good or better than most of what's out though. If you have real talent... you probably shouldn't be okay with being a hobbyist.

The problem is that mostly it's the wrong people that are "serious"... tell them that and they'll call you a hater.

Believe or not, even I was serious at one point (or at least thought I was). Being serious depends on a lot of factors - where you live, your personality, your willingness to sacrifice, your talent, your ego, and about 37 other things. Most of the people that I've seen come through FP that seemed pro normally had a lot of traits in common. Mostly they all seemed like well-adjusted, out-going people that knew how to perserve relationships... even on FP.

... but on the real, who cares. People can switch up screen names and become somebody else tomorrow.... lies and all. Remember Mos Face and Geron? Dudes were getting pats on the back left and right, lol. Both fakes, this internet ish ain't really that serious if you keep in mind where you're at on the internet (and keep your good name in tact).

I think a lot of people just like to have fun playing "industry professional" and hope that people believe them. I see that a lot.

---------- Post added at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 AM ----------

i personally have a problem with someone calling themselves a producer just because they own some gear or have a myface or soundclick page...

I don't have a problem with it but ... that's what happens with 90% of Hip Hop producers. Get your app of choice, get your Myspace and Soundclick... you're open for business.

... and having a personal page doesn't mean you're serious either, they cost $3 a month.

If you stay at home and spam people on the internet, you're not serious either.

If you try to latch onto everybody that is actually really doing it hoping that they'll snatch you through your computer screen, you're not serious either.

If you have made 0 moves that anybody else can quantify, you're serious to yourself.

If you're using all free ish that's readily available to anybody, how are you more serious than the next man. Are you serious?

If you have:

Myspace
FaceBook
UstreamTV
Soundclick
Twitter
Gmail
1 and 1 personal page

... so does everybody else... don't pat yourself on the back just yet.

I have 4 websites... FP knows about one of them. The one that is the least of my worries.

but like I said earlier... I've seen hobbyist get plucked off of FP (and tell me about it via myspace or something)... and the "serious" people still keep bumping their heads against the wall.

Doesn't make a difference to me. I enjoy making music. If you " respect " what I do that's cool... if you don't that's cool as well. You have pricks on both sides of the fence. You have the elitists who don't make any moves and they swear up and down that what they do goes over people's heads... these guys usually don't respect anything that's mainstream for the sake of not liking it. On the other side you have the guys that are starting to make moves and start thinking that they're Quincy Jones or something. 2 sides to it...

What is being serious ?
People keep talking about how having an internet presence is not being serious as if it was nefast.

I think that in their heads, they are making the equations :
hobbyists = beatmakers
serious people = producers

I agree. Still everyone got to start somewhere and it's not given to everyone to be able to "produce" for numerous and numerous reasons.

Don't think Black and White... Think grey !

Last edited:
my view of a respectable producer is this: one who doesn't make crap music (regardless if they're "serious" or just a hobbyist).

I don't think a producer should have a reason to look down on hobbyists (unless their music is indeed crap). if a nurse or doctor or a firefighter laid down some decent instrumentals, i wouldn't diss them just cus they aren't tryna push it on another level, i'd respect them cus they know music and they obviously worked on their craft/hobby. And i wouldn't judge their music based on if they even took a "music theory" course or not, although that actually would add to one's respectability.

But to be blunt a serious producer does deserve more respect than a hobbyist because a serious producer would take the risk at venturing into the industry.

Professional and serious are two different animals.

Nobody can claim to be professional if they haven't done anything notable.

Anybody can call themselves serious... any time they fell like it.

Watch... for the next 2 hours, I'm a serious producer. What do I have to do to prove it? except say it?

If your music lets you travel, pay "some" bills, and people know you name a little (important people)... I would say you could call yourself serious. It doesn't have to be your main gig.

Pro is when you have accomplishments and music is your main source of income... and something else could be your hobby (even if it's a part time job or something).

This is all opinion too.

It’s been almost 3 yrs since I been up on here.. I’ve been doing this music thing for a while and when I first started I thought I was serious about it but that wasn’t the case. I saw other people put in more work than I did and say “this is a hobby” so that made me think of what I really wanted. I’ve been playing in a couple of reggae bands and travel from the east coast to the west coast doing gigs and met allot of people who were well connected. I shared the stage with many world known reggae artist a few hip hop artist and got to kick it with them like the Marley fam, collie buddz, GI, yellow man ect. I mean it was good times but my main thing was Hip Hop beats. Now I’ve step away from the bands and am trying to focus on my music BUT I know this will still be a hobby just because with my family and work won’t allow me to do this full time. I gotten respect from other artist and DJ from both coast because I believe my stuff is really that good. But to do this as a profession is not likely until I can figure out how to make a living doing this with my family not going without. If I was single I probly would take some time away from work and try and do this as a profession. My education isn’t as far as I would have like it to be but my experience and ear for MUSIC is. Respect should be given were respect is earned. Regardless how long you been doing this and how much work u put into this thing that makes this world a better place “MUSIC”. There are a lot of young talent out there that have a message to share and some of them just needs that one ear to hear it and believe in it and they can be doing this as a profession, for example The Jackson 5. Once they got there then that’s when their hard work and diligence came into play. Talent is getting younger and younger everyday now. Should we hate on the young talent who didn’t put the years into this but are doing this as a profession? I’m far from young but I can’t hate on someone ells because they are living the dream. Because they were in the right place at the right time. We all know in this industry a lot has to do with “it’s who you know not what you know”. But hard work never is a bad thing. No disrespect to anyone’s opinion I’m just voicing mine…..

Last edited:
Back