Dj Smuv's 13+ Laws Of Selling Beats

DO We Sticky This or Not ?

• Total voters

dj smuv

I posted this in reply to another post , reread the original post and decided , this needed its own thread : Feel Free to add to it .
#1 Make REALLY HOT MUSIC
#2 See Rule #1
#3 Get Your Mix Game Straight so your shit sounds amazing .
#4 Create a "Brand" & an "Image" with a website to promote this
"Product" of yours .
#5 Make sure you have "Content" when they get there , something that will keep them interested after glossing thru your first 10 beats .
#6 Have Contact Info , Paypal , And any other means of payment you accept PROMINENTLY DISPLAYED on your site , we are human , therefore we are dumb as rocks UNLESS u spell it out for us .
#7 Promote this site of yours any and everyway you feasably can , and not just in PRODUCERS FORUMS --- WE DONT BUY BEATS < WE MAKE THEM , remember that .Twitter ,Soundclick , Youtube , Text Battle forums , man theres hundreds of sites with millions of OPPORTUNITIES for the hungry and clever .Dont get discouraged when you put out a few thousand messages and get a low return , Promotions online is a numbers game . (I sent out over ten thousand messages today alone)Theres tools for that and great places to use them (PROTIP:NOT HERE THO < YOULL GET CANNED !!!)
#8 Never Give up your publishing . EVER .EVAR !NO !!!
#9 The real world is where you make real money , and the internet can be an illusion , its really not what you think it is .That said a good place to start is at local studios , dj record pools , and open mic's . But Remember ; These Niggas on the come up is the same niggas draggin you along when they blow up.
#10 Get The ****in MONEY - Never Work Spec - In god you can trust , but all else should pay cash.
#11 HAVE SOME ****ING SELF RESPECT .If You are selling exclusives for $25 (CrackWhore Money) expect to be treated like a (CrackWhore) when your beat blows up nationwide by litunechi or gucci . Its Theirs , they bought it . **** Off (CrackWhore)
#12 Keep Your Contract Game On Point . Selling exclusives to More than One Party can get You and/or Someone else KILLED .This shit aint a game or a ****ing joke .Dont Treat It as one .DONT SELL MULTIPLE EXCLUSIVES. NO!
#13 Never Ever EVAR Pay to Play . This shits ALWAYS a Scam . If a Nigga says he can get you signed , just give him XxX$$ to sign up , Run , dont walk , away from these clowns .If somone is in a POWER position to help you , and they genuinely want to , they wont need your money to do it .

ChuuuCHH!

^^^That's the shit fool... I needed to see that today

Last edited by a moderator:
#7 Promote this site of yours any and everyway you feasably can , and not just in PRODUCERS FORUMS --- WE DONT BUY BEATS < WE MAKE THEM , remember that .Twitter ,Soundclick , Youtube , Text Battle forums , man theres hundreds of sites with millions of OPPORTUNITIES for the hungry and clever .Dont get discouraged when you put out a few thousand messages and get a low return , Promotions online is a numbers game . (I sent out over ten thousand messages today alone)Theres tools for that and great places to use them (PROTIP:NOT HERE THO < YOULL GET CANNED !!!)

Don't agree with this...It's better to promote "smart" then just throw a message to your entire contacts list.

If the return is low (measured over a certain amount of time) you didn't promote smart enough...

It's all about the target group density.

Promotion is a science.

You could shoot a million people a message and get 20 replies, or you could send 100 people the same message and get the same amount of replies when your target group density is high enough.

If somone is in a POWER position to help you , and they genuinely want to , they wont need your money to do it .

truth.com

Don't agree with this...It's better to promote "smart" then just throw a message to your entire contacts list.

If the return is low (measured over a certain amount of time) you didn't promote smart enough...

It's all about the target group density.

Promotion is a science.

You could shoot a million people a message and get 20 replies, or you could send 100 people the same message and get the same amount of replies when your target group density is high enough.

Im With this , Makes Sense to Me

All this info SHOULD be common sense to any producer who's trying to treat this as a BUSINESS! Sticky good work.

Really good stuff man. Trying very hard to get my plays up, and move in the charts... that promotion piece is tough as hell. Especially if you do like Ill Rocka is suggesting and try to target your marketing.

I could spend all day out of the studio just promoting online and I STILL wouldn't have enough plays to help me move in the charts.

I'd like to add 3 things to this.

1. Don't believe everything you read or hear. Believe facts. People be bulsh*ttn and sellin dreams when it comes to money and beats.

2. Get ur contracts straight. Be clear and direct. Be proactive not reactive with that sh*t or you are askin for problems.

3. If you and (artist(s) name here) are workin on a song and you do the beat and he/she does the vocals, draw out a split sheet between all parties involved so when the time comes everybody's on the same page.

Last edited:
Back