DJ Premier Ray Gun Bleep Effect?? Please help

jrockpsycho

so im recording a hip hop album for an artist, and i wanted to do a couple clean tracks for promo use, and i am trying to figure out what this sound is that Premo uses and has been using for years.
Here are two examples recorded over 10 years apart, i use ableton live and have been messing with stock ray gun sounds but havent been able to get it to sound the way he does. Is it a turntable technique? am i in the wrong forum? or is this a sound that was sampled off of a battle/break record? any help would be much appreciated. thank you

Joey Bada$$ - Unorthodox - 00:58
AZ - The Come Up - 00:43

The sound is a triple tone burst. this means it is probably generated in a tracker type program or an 8-bit sound vsti triggered by MIDI in the burst speed you want. So personally I'm thinking of a little program that generates 8-bit game sound effects to do this: any of the following will suffice.

Bfxr. Make sound effects for your games.
as3sfxr
Sound FX Generator | Free Graphics For Flash and Indie Games
sfxr - A simple sound effect generator - Google Project Hosting
Sean O'Connor's Games - Sound Effects Generator
3 Free Exciting Sound Effects Generators - Instant Fundas

However, you could do it with the following sorts of settings in a subtractive synth:
low filter cutoff
high resonance on the filter
square wave source
adsr as (number are approximate positions an a scale of 0-10) for both the filter and the VCA
A-quick~1
D-quick~1
S-medium~6
R-quick~1

And then trigger the resulting sound 2 or 3 times in quick succession (16ths or 32nds including possible triplets). I leave the design of the pitch drop at the end of shot to you

^ Intense

I listened and have no clue. The sound was very familiar to me tho.. I instantly thought of..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc4Fuqf4ROU

00:33ish and throughout

Never knew Premier produced that song!

Best of luck figuring it out, if you do please share

---------- Post added at 11:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

I noticed it isn't used on the explicit versions of 'The Come Up' and 'N Together Now'

Seems he uses it for tasteful editing. I don't believe I've heard anyone else use it either.

If I had to take a guess it sounds like a backspin of a specific record, which he sampled and sliced, and uses the same audio clip/oneshot everytime

Back