Thread: DJ Premier, "I Gave 50 A Banging Beat But He Turned It Down."

Thanks

DJ Premier, "I Gave 50 A Banging Beat But He Turned It Down."

Sign in to disable this ad
    Last night at New York City’s 92 Street Y, Hot 97 radio personality Peter Rosenberg sat down with legendary producer DJ Premier for what was said to be the first installment of his Noisemakers series of one-on-one interviews with some of the biggest names in hip-hop. During the discussion Primo spoke about many of his infamous collaborations, and those that were never able to materialize.When asked what rappers he’d like to have worked with that haven’t yet manifested, Premier said “Definitely Busta,” before adding, “50 too. I gave 50 a bangin’ beat, [but] he turned it down. It was dope, though.”
    The rap vet didn’t dwell on that as he explained what it was like to work with The Nototious B.I.G. “Biggie called me in a frantic panic on the phone and was like, Yo, I got one more song I need for my album and I’m done; I gotta get a song from you.” That conversation soon turned into “Unbelievable,” off of Big’s debut, Ready to Die, which Primo “thought was a little too nice for the way his voice sounded,” but Big Poppa “just walked in the booth and laid it—no paper, no nothin’.”
    When the possibility of a full-length album was brought up, he acknowledged that the wheels are in motion, but it may be difficult to get everyone he wants on the release. “I talked about starting it a couple weeks ago, because a lot of artists [want to help]—like Kanye, [after] I scratched on his album, he was like, ‘Yo, I’ll give you one for free whenever you need me.’ And I know that the bigger people get, it’s harder to get ‘em. Even Jay-Z is hard to get now, and we were around each other for years, but it’s hard to even get at him. I’m just trying to swap with everybody.”
    The perfectionist that he is, Primo knows the situation needs to be right. “It’s gotta be like my Chronic,” he continued. “Just like the way Dre came out with Chronic and just ****ted on everybody, mine’s gotta be the same way.”
    Whether or not a DJ Premier album is in the immediate future, more music is certainly on the way. “I’m back to almost a beat every two days,” he assured. “The money’s always secondary. That’s the reason why I think I still get work. Even in desperate times, I still gotta make the record bang.”

Just a quick read for yall...
    [U][COLOR=#0000ff][URL]https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=48500753#post48500753[/URL] [/COLOR][/U]
    [COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=lemonchiffon]Just looking for honest feedback.[/COLOR]

Thanks
    “The money’s always secondary. That’s the reason why I think I still get work. Even in desperate times, I still gotta make the record bang.”

Man, that's some truth right there!

Thanks
    this is on worldstar...

Thanks
    I hope he switches his style up. Just a little.

Thanks
    i think he's gonna have to if he wants to drop the equivalent of Chronic, lol^.

equivalent in impact, that is
    Last edited by Trenchant; 12-13-2008 at 09:30 AM.
    =

Thanks
    Preemo is versitile but if artists want that classic Preemo, thats what they get. Thats the downfall of having a signature sound, thats all cats end up wanting from the producer. Look at cats like Lil' Jon and Mannie Fresh, those cats have done TONS of records that dont sound like their signature sound but cats only remember the "radio friendly hits". Oh well, I bet this album drops before detox (joking)....

Thanks
    he prolly have 50 that dope beat when 50 was in his prime.......now 50 prolly wants it

Thanks
    50 could use a classic new york sound

but wtf do I know

I'd love to seea Busta Rhymes/Premier collab, after that Timbaland/Busta track I think he can spit on just about anything.

Thanks
    I sure wish that that Nas/Premo album would have happened, oh well.....

Thanks
    lol can u imagine if another producer said "I gave 50 a bangin’ beat, [but] he turned it down. It was dope, though.”

i can only imagine wat the responses would be.
    [FONT=Impact][/FONT]

Thread Information