DJ Premier Album: “No Talent Required” = Garbage

X-Ceptional

Pull up a chair and sit down and be prepared to get pissed off (well at least most of you).

I think this cat has lost his damn mind.

FIRST

An article I just read (I’m looking for the link) brought attention to this fronten ass ways. His album cover says “made with real vinyl” and unless he is pressing up just to DJ he is full of Sh!t cuz lots of those records he has on his album were never pressed to the article writers knowledge and considering the artists I highly doubt they were.

SECOND

The way he mixed this album sucked to me. I HATE when the DJ spins back to the same spot a million times in a track unless it’s live but in a recording you expect me to purchase and listen to multiple times that is a nuisance. On the Royce track Ding I swear the nicca lost his mind. The first time I listened to it the R.I.P. Proof part damn near drove me to turn the album off he replayed it so many times. This isn’t the only song he does this in it’s just the one that fucced me up the most because I’m a big Royce fan and he was ruining his track. In Black Poet’s Voices Poet doesn’t start actually spitting until 1:50 into the song because this nicca Premo is feeling himself to damn much cutting it up that whole time.

THIRD

He’s talking about “button pushers” and he sounds so perturbed with advancements in technology and when the O.G.’s start complaining about change to me it’s like they are becoming detached from the natural evolution of their culture. At some point every generation becomes so detached from the following generation that they forget the battle their parent’s generations spawned with them in the same fashion about changes and how it isn’t as good blah blah blah. My problem with his complaining is talent is talent and NO computer creates talent. Just because technology makes a function of any kind easier that doesn’t mean you have talent and can and will use this function effectively. It’s easy as hell to make beat’s now thanks to FL or hell take it a step further and say E Jay for the super beginner and we hear more garbage now then ever. If you don’t agree with me so far you have to admit this, saturation of "me to" producers increases competition and requires yester years kings to revamp and break the mold once again the same what they did to get their name in the first place and this is also a requirement of a new perspective who wants a real name in the game. The game needs an incentive to do something new IMO otherwise we would get cookie cutter bull**** force fed to us more then we already do. This is why I think it’s cool that the "me too" producers create the drum kits of every super producer, send they ass back to the lab to do something NEW and amazing. Anyone with the technical aptitude can mimic second for second anything that any DJ or producer does and for those with more technical aptitude then skill that’s all they do. Music is just 0’ and 1’ now in the digital world all you have to do is line them up the same right?

I didn’t even listen to the whole album yet I just wanted to get that off my chest and see what people thought. I haven’t been here in a few months so I’m getting some ish off my chest trying to see where your heads are at now I guess lol.

Last edited:
That was well written and even tho I haven't heard this album yet I can see what you mean. But before I can completely agree I'll have to check out that album (which I probably won't ever get around to doing cuz i'm not really that interested in it anyway).

Peace

Last edited:
ya he is the man no question about his beats but that doesnt give him a pass Primo can get it to lol.

if it were not for torrents i wouldn't have reviewed it either but the 8 hours a day i spend at work listening to music while typing these messages get boring if i don't rotate new stuff into the iPod. if i am ever going to listen to music i wouldn't normally mess with it will be while i'm getting paid to do it (at work) and it doesn't cost me money to review.

The more I got into producing, the less I felt him. Before '98 he just looped and now he flips the same way and got the same 5 drum sets. And his samples always range in the early 70s jass and soul.
I heard the new mixtape and I'm feelin it. I don't like when he b*tches.
Don't be a dinosaur to technology. I remember when turntables and hardware were the hottest things and people said we were just playing records and pushing buttons. You can do more with a laptop then anything else. I still prefer those that make melodies and loops on the spot instead of combining songs.

It's funny how when turntables and all were *new* technology in their days they all copped them.

Now it's the MV8K, and MP3 samplers and all, and niggas are mad.

So it leaves me to believe that most folk have a mindset that things are only good if they can benifit from it.

All the *Classic Great Producers* capitalized off the technology of the turntable and SP1200 and such.

Besides capitalizing on the new methods and ways of the changing world. Most choose to cling to a dead horse and get lost among the crowd.

That's why one of my main inspirations is the great Miles Davis. Dude was always pioneering and changing in his music, from Bebop, Cool Jazz, Modal, Avant-Garde, and even pioneered in Fusion Jazz which branched off in the early stages of Hip-Hop... For the times, some called it selling out, but I call it. Business Smarts.

Because he was a genuine musician who knew what will work.

Probably why Kind Of Blue is still one of the most sold albums of ALL TIME.

Take Premo's ego trip and ranting as a lesson...

Last edited by a moderator:
gigs are funny nowadays. Hooking up and detaching CD decks and Serato. I remember when every single DJ bought only ma bag of records! That was three years ago.

Premiere is the only producer I know of that can find obscure songs, sample them, and turn them into fire.

barrysanders20 said:
Premiere is the only producer I know of that can find obscure songs, sample them, and turn them into fire.

even the OG to Come Quick was just an intro to an early 70s jazz song. It's just a loop. Nothing is obscure about early 70s jazz. Those records have never been secrets to those of us that have a parents' record collection.

PlanetHitzProduction said:
That's why one of my main inspirations is the great Miles Davis. Dude was always pioneering and changing in his music, from Bebop, Cool Jazz, Modal, Avant-Garde, and even pioneered in Fusion Jazz which branched off in the early stages of Hip-Hop... For the times, some called it selling out, but I call it. Business Smarts.

Because he was a genuine musician who knew what will work.

Probably why Kind Of Blue is still one of the most sold albums of ALL TIME.
I think Miles would've been pissed if technology came along that required a lot less talent to play the trumpet.

Personally, I'm all for technology, but some of it is taking the artistry out of the art.

Tyree D. said:
Nothing is obscure about early 70s jazz. Those records have never been secrets to those of us that have a parents' record collection.
70s jazz on a whole is not obscure, but there are plenty of 70s jazz records that you'd be hard pressed to find because... well, they are obscure.

Last edited:
Bezo said:
I'm all for technology, but some of it is taking the artistry out of the art.

IMO it's not taking the artistry out of art it's reducing the skill required to participate at a basic level in this art form and there is a big difference. until a computer can perform quality creative functions from start to finish on it's own that mimic a humans ability to do so then the art is still alive. Hitz you are a smart dude and your post was appreciated i look forward to picking up your 2 cents in other threads.

To me, Premier's hit "legendary status" and has done enough for hip hop that he's allowed to say whatever he wants on hip hop. His opinions are gonna mean a lot more to me than anybody's on FP. If anything, his walk, his talk, and his music is just lookin out for hip hop.

So stop whining. If you don't like it don;t listen to it. No need to hurt his record sales. Show some respect.

premo overrated? what next in here? someone gonna say sex is overrated next. *walks out of room and slams door smh*

Back