[Debate Who's better? Nas vs Jay-Z]

Who do you think is better Nas or Jay-Z?

• Nas

Votes: 54 52.4%
  • Jay-Z

Votes: 49 47.6%

• Total voters

Echolocation

This really just for fun to see who and why you like the one over the other. Here's my take on it to me Nas's style is more hiphop while
Jay-Z's style is more rap. In my opion Nas has the better uses of metaphors and delivery of messages, but Jay-Z has a one of a kind flow and better hooks and punchlines. Honestly I like them both, overall I prefer Nas because I like how he gets some kind of a point across in the majority of his lyrics.

On another note isn't Jay-Z and Nas supposed to be working on a project together or something? Just the idea of it sounds hot to me can only hope for something akin to a Redman and Methodman album which a sequal to is long overdue.

i cant call that one honestly. nas is dope but he is very inconsistent. i think jay z is better at making songs and albums though. i also think jay z makes music too make money and is holding back lyrically so its hard for me too actually judge. if it was a nas album produced completely by primo versus a jay album i would go with nas

i don't really listen to any eastcoast stuff, but i'd definitely pick Nas over Jay Z. Nas got some krazy lyrics, he seems more ill on the mic then jay z, in my opinion

well i just heard the song black replublcan and lyrically nas kills jay ON THIS SONG. There is plenty of great songs from both of them. I must say Jay is more commercial and more consistent . While nas is often more deep and poetic like in his rhymes but doesnt have a urge to apeal to radio or give off an commercial image. Check out black replubican here http://xxlmag.com/online/?p=6167 Im from texas must dudes never heard illmatic or can name a nas album thats how much he is hurting on the commercial side of the game and although it doesnt effect skills it does effect status in the game

Last edited by a moderator:
Justin Blanco said:
well i just heard the song black replublcan and lyrically nas kills jay ON THIS SONG. There is plenty of great songs from both of them. I must say Jay is more commercial and more consistent . While nas is often more deep and poetic like in his rhymes but doesnt have a urge to apeal to radio or give off an commercial image. Check out black replubican here http://xxlmag.com/online/?p=6167 Im from texas must dudes never heard illmatic or can name a nas album thats how much he is hurting on the commercial side of the game and although it doesnt effect skills it does effect status in the game

They both seem to be fairly commercial at this point it's just Jay-Z is more commercial of the two. Ever since there fued between them began there's been a on going debate over the two well matched. I dunno about the whole consistentcy thing nas is pretty consistant at what he does and that's make solid hiphop. I suppose his production on his songs can be viewed as a little inconsistant because he has alot of different styles, but I think that's just a bigger testiment to his skill since he's not doing just all pop and club bangers. The only status I see Nas caring about is his skills on the mic he's that kinda cat. I think Jin's the same type of way and they'd make for a ill collabo they both rip dope lyrics.

I liked the comment made by clarhck5 about a all Primo album that'd be dope along with some tight collabos that would do wonders for Nas's status. A Nas album produced by Primo with collabos from artists like Jeru The Damaja, Afu Ra, MOP, Freddie Foxx, Common, Non Phixion, Mos Def, KRS-One, Rakim, Guru, Mary J Blidge, Alicia Keys, Christina Aguilera and for good measure Jay-Z would ultimately kill obviously I doubt all of the above would happen, but I could see a primo nas album with some of the above being capable considering primo's worked with all of them and nas and primo have worked together in the past plus alot of them are NY artists.

TheRiddler said:
Who would win in a battle?

In a freestyle battle I think it would depend on who went first if Nas went first I think Jay-Z would take it because of his punchlines, but if Jay-Z went last I think Nas might take it because of his dope lyrics and metaphors. That or who ever's better at freestyling. Honestly id be much more intrested in seeing Jin vs Eminem vs Juice freestyle now that would be intresting.

Last edited:
Echolocation said:
They both seem to be fairly commercial at this point it's just Jay-Z is more commercial of the two.

I think nas is consitent too just not as much as jay , but nas is no where near commercial as jay. When you have a double album out and you only got 1 vid thats not commerecial, when people don't know you got an album out thats not comercial. HE USED TO BE MORE COMMERCIAL BEFORE 2000. I havent heard a song on the radio (im sure they play it in the New York are) wit nas since the I am.... Album . And i don't know whats up wit nas since stillmatic he doesnt sound hungry i go back to new york state of mind on illmatic and this dude had so much emotion and sounded real hungry. Hopefully Hip hop is dead will be like that, Hopefully it will get radio play, and hopefully there will be at least two videos.

The reason this has always been such a huge debate is because they seem so similar on the surface, have alot in common, but at the same time are so different they can't be compared.

If you dig beneath the surface, Nas is in the category of Black Thought, Lupe, Talib, Mos Def, ect. and dominates.

Jay's in the category of 50 Cent, Dipset, Lloyd Banks, Fat Joe, and dominates. Whenever you cross over from one to category to the other, subliminally preference of music come into play with your decision.

This is why some think Cam or 50's better than Nas but know neither Cam or 50 hold a match to Jay. Some think Lupe or Blackchild is better than Jay, but know neither holds a match to Nas. Pretty deep, huh?

You ever see on a Madden game how people give overall points to a team, if we did that for rap, it would be

Jay-z : Swagger9/Wordplay9/Punchlines9/Concious Lyrics7/Consistancy7/Song Creativity(picking beat, adding singers, making classics, ect.)7.5

Nas : Swagger7.5/Wordplay8/Punchlines8/Concious lyrics10/Consistancy6/Song Creativity9

They both end up with an overall 8.5 average

Nice one deRaNged! That sums it up! I'd add that Jay should pick the beats for Nas but that's kinda offtopic, isn't it.

i gotta say hov because he can swicth it up better then nas.with jay-z u get a story,a clever message, club bangerz etc wit nas all u get is his point of view and a bleak message and even if u a nas fan u gotta admit that.

All I know is that Jay-Z is suspect after that last album...he may have caught the "retirement syndrome" that Michael Jordan and all of the other old cats get when they try to come out of retirement.

I prefer Nas over Jay because Nas get's into the political/religious flow..even though Jay showed that in "minority report" Hell they are both good rappers they need to collab and sell the best album of all time.

Sirflex10 said:
All I know is that Jay-Z is suspect after that last album...he may have caught the "retirement syndrome" that Michael Jordan and all of the other old cats get when they try to come out of retirement.

I prefer Nas over Jay because Nas get's into the political/religious flow..even though Jay showed that in "minority report" Hell they are both good rappers they need to collab and sell the best album of all time.

They did do a collab allready Justin Blanco pointed it out anyways here's the link. http://xxlmag.com/online/?p=6167

Now I dunno what Jay-Z caught, but his collabo is about as good Micheal Jordan was at baseball by comparison to basketball you figure it out.

Last edited:
you can't knock either for their accomplishments in hip-hop and it is really tough for me to judge because each has their own uniqueness. but i have to stick with Nas Escobar. jay is really good and his success is due to his style fitting the industry formula. but nas, his style is sick and he gets a point across everytime. it is unfortunate that nas sold as many albums but he remains to me to be stILLMATIC....

TheRiddler said:
Who would win in a battle?

Freestyle battle.....Jay-Z wins hands down.

And I'm a NaS fan.

But honestly Nas and Jay should do a full collab album..

Last edited by a moderator:
Jay-Z
just because he got that swagger I like
**brushes fake dirt off his shoulders**

bR1 said:
Nice one deRaNged! That sums it up! I'd add that Jay should pick the beats for Nas but that's kinda offtopic, isn't it.

No ****. Let jay pick nas's beats because Nas has a rough time.

It seems to me that as they get older, I find myself leaning more toward Jay-Z, but when I was younger I thought Nas was iller.

Jay-Z knows how to make an album (RD, BLuprint, Dynasty, Black, AG)

Even on an off album like "In my Lifetime" series the man still has hits.

Nas...not so much.

Back