[Debate Who's better? Nas vs Jay-Z]

Who do you think is better Nas or Jay-Z?

• Nas

Votes: 54 52.4%
  • Jay-Z

Votes: 49 47.6%

• Total voters
deranged's point that he made...in 2006...makes the most sense. they are two different, they dominate in different categories but overall you can;t say one is better than the other.

I feel Jay because I feel he says as much deep lyrical **** as Nas does but he is a little easier to understand than Nas. People are impressed by cats who completely go over their head (ala Lupe with Dumb It Down.) Both legends, but I prefer Hov.

there actually is a definitive answer to "whos better?" but in which way ?
Jay-z is a better business man (makes more popular songs, beat picking, other business related stuff) , while Nas is probably more important as a rapper than Jay-z . They are both skilled at doing what they aspire to do (make money, or make kinda meaningful music)

California said:
there actually is a definitive answer to "whos better?" but in which way ?
Jay-z is a better business man (makes more popular songs, beat picking, other business related stuff) , while Nas is probably more important as a rapper than Jay-z . They are both skilled at doing what they aspire to do (make money, or make kinda meaningful music)

I would have to disagree. I think there can never be a definative answer for an opinion. That's like the Biggie/Tupac deabate. It all depends on what you like better. Some may hold some attributes in higher regard than others. I feel that people that only pigeonhole Jay as a great business man and don't regard his superior lyrical abilties don't really listen to what dude's saying in his songs.

SmokinAces said:
I would have to disagree. I think there can never be a definative answer for an opinion. That's like the Biggie/Tupac deabate. It all depends on what you like better. Some may hold some attributes in higher regard than others. I feel that people that only pigeonhole Jay as a great business man and don't regard his superior lyrical abilties don't really listen to what dude's saying in his songs.
agreed. i think they are the 2pac/biggie debate of their generation. In the end I think Jay Z will be thought of more highly because of the hits by most people.

SmokinAces said:
if its business, then its definitely Jay-z . If its deeper lyrical content, then its Nas, nobody would say otherwise

IMO..

Jay-Z has the best flow of all-time, best swag out, best at making an album, better wordplay.

Nas is better story teller in his music.

While there both great, Jay-Z gets the win. Now the question was asked, back in 2006 lol, who would win in a freestyle battle? Nas mos definitely.

ill have to say jay-z...i mean i never really liked nas after it was written...after that he only made 2 songs i liked and that was got your self a gun, made u look......and one mic....jay-z's hit list is longgg and consistant u cant name a year jay aint have a hit out multiple at that

I love them both & Nas is still in my top 5 but I gotta go with Jay. Jay murdered Black Republican so whoever said Nas' verse was better is buggin you better listen again...lol. Jay has him in every statistical category except deepness of lyrics. Nas' body of work can't stand up against Jay's.

1.Jay-Z
2.2Pac
3.Biggie
4.Nas
5.Eminem (Yep that's right I said it) Even murked Jay on Renegade...lol.

hmmm, this is a hard one to answer. I wont vote, and this is why:

if you ask me personal opinion, when it comes to sound of voice, rhythm, personality and lyrics, it be nas all day, correction, nas all day when he comes correct,

but as far as overall grind, bussiness, and consistency, it be jay, but jays voice is more annoying, and gets old after awhile. Jay had one of the worst voices around when he first came out, but he made it work

Think about this...seriously.

If you could draft a group of MCs to start a record label, who would you draft, Jay-Z or Nas?

The key phrase being "Record Label"..........meaning you have to sell records.

Reasonable doubt or illmatic?

Blueprint or Stillmatic?

It was written or Vol 2?

Last edited:
Up until 02/03 at most I would say Nas was better; however, Jay has delivered better albums than Nas since then IMO. as of 2008, i think Jay is the better rapper overall, Ether made Jay step his game up

Back