Damn had a lousy performance

Just Clauz

But it was mad fun!

I mean people started leaving, wen't straight out the bar after me and a rap homie came to 3rd song. But after breaking the nerversity, I went ham!

For yall people out there, the best thing about being a musician is performing! Real talk!

nerves in performance are an ever present danger for some and just the cure for others (adrenaline can push you to new heights of performance or can drag you down if it sours too quickly) - ever had your legs go out from under you when performing? you have to get over it real quick or flop then and there (metaphorically, physically and literally)

I posted here awhile back about my first experience at jazz camp and the days leading up to the big concert. I was scared as shit, but I ended up surprising myself with what I considered to be a great performance. Congratulations Just Clauz.

nerves in performance are an ever present danger for some and just the cure for others (adrenaline can push you to new heights of performance or can drag you down if it sours too quickly) - ever had your legs go out from under you when performing? you have to get over it real quick or flop then and there (metaphorically, physically and literally)

Thats it, you jus use the energy from the anxiety and turn it into fuel for your performance. Show the audience how you go hard!

I posted here awhile back about my first experience at jazz camp and the days leading up to the big concert. I was scared as shit, but I ended up surprising myself with what I considered to be a great performance. Congratulations Just Clauz.

Thanks bro

So are you know used to performing? I hear some famous people say that they still get a little bit nervous right before they get on stage

Last edited:
So are you know used to performing? I hear some famous people say that they still get a little bit nervous right before they get on stage

I've heard that, too.
I used to be a dj before I started studying jazz music so that took a small bit of the edge off, but being new to jazz and having to improvise and keep up with other more experienced musicians made me self-conscious. You just have to fail at it alot to get comfortable performing. Kinda like how skaters have to fall alot to land those really great tricks with ease.

Some people have completely different energies once the lights turn on - I def miss performing, but enjoy the talent management and record producing way more. Great job Clauz!

Btw - DMX said he used to be so nervous before EVERY show that he would throw up and have to drink beforehand.

I agree, getting on stage and performing gives you a totally fresh perspective on music and what you're making.

I've been in scenarios where a track I thought was super hot just flops live. You get immediate feedback on your music, sections that lack energy/go nowhere and it really gives you an appreciation for people who put on great shows and keep the energy high the entire time.

Example - Flying Lotus at Poisson Rouge NY

and you know what, getting slapped around on stage and bombing can be the best thing for an artist if you take it well and use it to improve...you aren't going to kill it every single time and that's the danger/excitement of being on stage, you've gotta spontaneously respond to what's happening in the room...I just posted a performance of FlyLo killing it but when he performed here last October in Toronto...he Bombed! It was super weird...people just weren't feeling it and he tried to get the crowd into it but he came across as whiny and insulted the crowd and compared us to Montreal which just made it weirder...even bigger artists struggle with that and i'm sure he learned something that night.

Back