Chris Hicks named Shakir Stewart's Successor @ Def Jam

brainzzzz

Chris Hicks, former Atlanta Records and Warner Chappell Music executive, has been named executive vice president at Def Jam Records.

The appointment, which was reported by the New York Daily News, comes only a few months after Shakir Stewart, Hicks' friend and predecessor, committed suicide.
Hicks' resume begins with his own business, Noontime, which he founded in 1997. With the company, he formed a joint venture with Warner/Chappell in 2000.

In his career, Hicks has signed publishing deals with some of Hip Hop's biggest stars, including Dr. Dre, T.I., Lil Wayne, Timbaland, and many others.

Def Jam, known for having launched careers of such famous acts as LL Cool J and Public Enemy, has gone through several recent changes, including the departure of Jermaine Dupri

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/...ks-named-shakir-stewarts-successor-at-def-jam

:victory:

Wow @ Chris Hicks getting in the door. That might bring about some change, I can see him doing the same to bring back the West that Shakir was contributing for the South.

Sidenote, don't confuse dude with Chris Stokes, lol.

No more rap swag for Def Jam.

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
Wow @ Chris Hicks getting in the door. That might bring about some change, I can see him doing the same to bring back the West that Shakir was contributing for the South.

Sidenote, don't confuse dude with Chris Stokes, lol.

The West?

Chris Hicks is Atlanta all day. Noontime is OG Atlanta.

Last edited:
^^^Freeze frame, maybe dude I'm talking isn't the same one. This isn't the same Chris Hicks from the Bay. Worked for Noo Trybe and Suave House, was behind Too $hort, did stuff with 8Ball MJG, ect? Big Exec Producer?

lol, my bad. All this time I thought that was the same dude, just checked. One of those times I realize I'm talking old school cats.

well it looked like they was kinda moving in the R&B direction anyway, they had the big name southern acts, but Rihanna, Mariah, ... were the big ticket items

What rappers do they have left that are relevant? Rick Ross leaving Slip-N-Slide is gonna hurt his next album & LL's last album bricked horribly.......

M.L.B. Productions said:
Damn congrats to Chris Hicks. R.I.P. Shakir, they got a good replacements tho

And brainz.. :cheers:
why u giving me congrats..I ain't done **** yet lol

AND WOAH Jackpot back up..Raws left Slip n Slide?! When did that happen?

Last edited:
I gotta holla at chris so I'm the next signed over at dj.

I gotta holla at chris so I'm the next signed over at dj.

what's up with Def Jam anyway? any big releases on the horizon?

Back