Check Out The New Edition of Producers Edge Magazine

kcsherrell@mac.com

Resident Beatsmith
What's Good FP,

I just thought I would post a link to the new issue (Issue #6) of Producers Edge Magazine. Its a dope magazine and its totally online and free for you to check out!

A couple of months ago I won a contest through Producers Edge Magazine and won a Dave Smith Instruments Mopho and they have an Article in there about me and the win on Page #9 if you want to check it out!

http://catalog.proemags.com/publication/9dc7f6aa#/9dc7f6aa/1

ONE

What's Good FP,

I just thought I would post a link to the new issue (Issue #6) of Producers Edge Magazine. Its a dope magazine and its totally online and free for you to check out!

A couple of months ago I won a contest through Producers Edge Magazine and won a Dave Smith Instruments Mopho and they have an Article in there about me and the win on Page #9 if you want to check it out!

http://catalog.proemags.com/publication/9dc7f6aa#/9dc7f6aa/1

ONE

I was just about to post it wasn't loading cos the wierd "V" thing was on the screen for ages. It's loading now though. I'll check it out when it does. But it's taking ages.

Anyway, why is the link "proemags" instead of "www.producersedge.com" or "www.producersedgemagazine.com"?

Wouldn't it be easier to find if the website's name was the same as the magazine?

And why did they close down in the first place?

Thanks for the link. And H maybe they have more than one magazine

I was just about to post it wasn't loading cos the wierd "V" thing was on the screen for ages. It's loading now though. I'll check it out when it does. But it's taking ages.

I think that's due to the number of people reading at once. I noticed it slows down after I send out the New Issue emails. I've contacted the IT dept for the engine and they say- one of the few ways to speed up the load process is to lower the resolution/quality. No one wants to do that. If you turn the pages normally, the load time keeps up with the page flip, but every so often, at heavy traffic times, it plays catch up on the previous page and loads slowly.

Anyway, why is the link "proemags" instead of "www.producersedge.com" or ...

The magazine is not on a website so to speak...
There's a whole flash based engine at work delivering the digital magazine. It's a portal. Producer's Edge licenses the engine.
Our MAIN homepage is ProducersEdgeMagazine.com and the issues are found there. I like direct links to the mag instead of our homepage. Most cats simply subscribe to our newsletter/magazine and that how most producers find out if a new issue has dropped.

Wouldn't it be easier to find if the website's name was the same as the magazine?

Um..I guess. See above.

And why did they close down in the first place?
Never closed down. We started in print and if you pay any attention to industry news or some of the more serious threads on this forum, you'd hear how NOBODY is staying in print. We did a few issues and got out once we saw the industry turn. Making the change quickly kept us from...going broke and closing down. Digital magazines are still seriously expensive so most of these other brands won't/can't stay around.

Plus no one who did digital mags before EVER had any big numbers of readers. It was just too new an idea. Too many readers didn't get it and some content doesn't translate well. Dudes want to read crap while they are bored at work and most at-work-browsers restrict flash or any entertainment sites.

So there are still challenges, but overall we are doing quite well.

GriffinAvid,

I am really glad you guy's are doing well! You fill a much needed void in this industry! I have always liked your issues and when Scratch and Remix were around with Sound on Sound and others, it was tight, you could always find something to read. Now, though its some foreign stuff and you guys at Producers Edge!

So do what you gotta do to stay around! We need Producers Edge to stay!

ONE

Oh we are going to be around. We were sure to make an engine that could support itself. We try NOT to lean on advertisers as much as other titles. That way we can say and do what we want when we want. Keeps us honest. Plus we try to only focus on stuff that's good to use so we don't have to cover everything. That also means not to bloat the staff and keep it an in-house operation.

We are also working on a few new projects that are eating resources and time. BUT I can guarantee when it arrives it will be quite ill. That's why we were so late with this issue. Enough though- it's not wise to hype up stuff that doesn't exist. You eventually sound real corny.

Our XC Subscribers are very important since they are also the ONLY ones (besides industry cats) that give us feedback. They are deciding *most* of the things we do.
The video format (they vetoed Windows and Quicktime)
The downloads (Subscribers get more and casual readers get less)
The frequency (smaller mags, more often [we're working on that])
The bonuses on holidays (they want more drums, more often)

Coming soon...
Placement and other music opportunities.
Remix contests.
Producer Profiles.
Contests...(Like Sherrell Productions won!)
More gear giveaways
Random gifts for XC Subscribers

The next issue (which is nearly done) has most of this inside it.
Now it's a matter of letting this issue have its turn.
Thanks though. Feedback is ultra important.

Thanks for the response Griffin. I'm looking forward to the updates and will keep checking for more issues. I've got to admit though, i only spent 5 minutes looking since i was kinda busy at the time i was looking. I'll go back later on.

I could see a few small problems though, i hope you don't mind me saying.

The "V" thing i think stayed on the screen. It's been about a day since i saw it though, maybe i was imagining it.

The zoom function was a little weird. Every time i moved the mouse it followed which was a first for me. And when i did zoom in the quality stayed the same. It didn't upgrade to a higher resolution which made everything look a little blurry and a little hard to read since i was trying to read it fast.

I also don't remember seeing a table of contents. This would be great so i can just click on a link i want to read and be taken there to that page instead of having to flick through everything. There should maybe be a preview section too like the ones found in physical magazines. I mean where there's a picture, about half a paragraph with highlights and a link that says something like "Go to page 13" "Or to read the rest of the article go to page 7" or something. This would go hand in hand with the table of contents. This way i can see what i'm interested in quickly and go straight there.

Again, i only read about half a page (the one with the OP's interview) and flicked through a few. Maybe this stuff was there and i just didn't notice it.

And i'm looking forward to those features you mentioned. Would any producer from anywhere around the world be able to enter? I mean would you talk to them via email and do an online interview or would they have to download a form or something and send in the relevant info in a letter? This may sound dumb but i just need a little clarification since i don't know how this kinda stuff works.

Thanks.

Oh we are going to be around. We were sure to make an engine that could support itself. We try NOT to lean on advertisers as much as other titles. That way we can say and do what we want when we want. Keeps us honest. Plus we try to only focus on stuff that's good to use so we don't have to cover everything. That also means not to bloat the staff and keep it an in-house operation.

We are also working on a few new projects that are eating resources and time. BUT I can guarantee when it arrives it will be quite ill. That's why we were so late with this issue. Enough though- it's not wise to hype up stuff that doesn't exist. You eventually sound real corny.

Our XC Subscribers are very important since they are also the ONLY ones (besides industry cats) that give us feedback. They are deciding *most* of the things we do.
The video format (they vetoed Windows and Quicktime)
The downloads (Subscribers get more and casual readers get less)
The frequency (smaller mags, more often [we're working on that])
The bonuses on holidays (they want more drums, more often)

Coming soon...
Placement and other music opportunities.
Remix contests.
Producer Profiles.
Contests...(Like Sherrell Productions won!)
More gear giveaways
Random gifts for XC Subscribers

The next issue (which is nearly done) has most of this inside it.
Now it's a matter of letting this issue have its turn.
Thanks though. Feedback is ultra important.

Yeah, the contest was unbelievable! I have never won anything in my life from a drawing contest! Until the Mopho you guy's hooked me up with that is! You know the Mopho was actually delivered on my Birthday too! SWEEEET!

The Mopho is sick too! I can't thank Producers Edge Mag enough for that! I posted here when I won it and I posted about the article and I appreciate the support you guy's gave me!

Stay Up!

No please. That's what helps us improve.

The "V" thing i think stayed on the screen. It's been about a day since i saw it though, maybe i was imagining it.

The V is a load preview showing the load progress. When it works, you only see it for a second. I'll send another email about that, but they are going to say it's related to the first few days' traffic.

The zoom function was a little weird. Every time i moved the mouse it followed which was a first for me. And when i did zoom in the quality stayed the same. It didn't upgrade to a higher resolution which made everything look a little blurry and a little hard to read since i was trying to read it fast.

It shouldn't do that. It's Vector Graphics so it's not a resolution thing, it's more of a mathematical representation of the letters so it should have infinite zoom. That's an issue I'll have to resolve.

I also don't remember seeing a table of contents. This would be great so i can just click on a link i want to read and be taken there to that page instead of having to flick through everything.

I removed it in this issue since many subscribers complained that it wasn't needed. The engine has a magazine preview section that I need to re-activate. Apparently I missed that checkbox!! Woops.

And i'm looking forward to those features you mentioned. Would any producer from anywhere around the world be able to enter?

I'd say yes since we have so many overseas readers and by popular demand we are covering more Dance Music products. I see the crosss-over thing, but so many *other genre* producers like the style of the mag, it makes sense to add some material for them.

Plus the creative cats like stuff that's not straight made for rap and twisting it into hip hop/rap.

We have lots of sections and articles about programming synths and making sounds. I know that's not too popular among new producers, but I know that's where *most* producers end up so why pretend we don't know that?

If you're not ready to dig into your tools, fine, most can ignore that article, but some are really into making sounds. Sometimes it's more about the synth/sounds than the record. So we try to keep a balance.

I just put The Table of Contents back.
It should about 3 hrs to update.
See how your feedback changes everything.

No please. That's what helps us improve.

The V is a load preview showing the load progress. When it works, you only see it for a second. I'll send another email about that, but they are going to say it's related to the first few days' traffic.

It shouldn't do that. It's Vector Graphics so it's not a resolution thing, it's more of a mathematical representation of the letters so it should have infinite zoom. That's an issue I'll have to resolve.

I also don't remember seeing a table of contents. This would be great so i can just click on a link i want to read and be taken there to that page instead of having to flick through everything.

I removed it in this issue since many subscribers complained that it wasn't needed. The engine has a magazine preview section that I need to re-activate. Apparently I missed that checkbox!! Woops.

And i'm looking forward to those features you mentioned. Would any producer from anywhere around the world be able to enter?

I'd say yes since we have so many overseas readers and by popular demand we are covering more Dance Music products. I see the crosss-over thing, but so many *other genre* producers like the style of the mag, it makes sense to add some material for them.

Plus the creative cats like stuff that's not straight made for rap and twisting it into hip hop/rap.

We have lots of sections and articles about programming synths and making sounds. I know that's not too popular among new producers, but I know that's where *most* producers end up so why pretend we don't know that?

If you're not ready to dig into your tools, fine, most can ignore that article, but some are really into making sounds. Sometimes it's more about the synth/sounds than the record. So we try to keep a balance.

I just put The Table of Contents back.
It should about 3 hrs to update.
See how your feedback changes everything.

OK thanks. I'm glad i could help. I get bored a lot when reading music forums since Gearlsutz is more engineer orientated and a different type of people than most of us here and FP rarely has good threads. If this is as good as i'm hearin it is then it'll probably become one of my top producer sites. Do you have a user forum BTW?

http://forum.producersedgemagazine.com/

We mostly use it as a place to put all the news blasts and press releases. It's not busy at all, but we do have good posts on there.

Mostly forums serve as a place where you can still be involved with production when you can't actually produce i.e. at work or when you're just taking a break -so a forum with all-posts-of-substance is just never gonna happen.

It's weird how all the posts a have high number of views, but few replies. I've asked ALL the producers featured in the mag to post and most say they don't want to hear criticism about their careers from someone who has no career. We try to make the rules tough enough to make it a serious place, but maybe it's too high-brow. I dunno. When we relax the rules you get posts like these...

http://forum.producersedgemagazine.com/Topic385-10-1.aspx

Maybe I gotta find a way to get all the XC Subscribers to post.
We'd be fine if I could get that to happen.

Back