CDs a NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!

S

Spektor

How important is it for upcoming artist.........to know the various forms of audio platforms in order to push their music???

I mean theirs Itunes, Ipod, mp3, and less and less people are listening to CDs, Streaming videos......................................

What would you do as a producer or artist, to have success in this area?

WOuld you make ur music available on Itunes, would u let people know they can dowload your music on Itunes?​

for me itunes would be considered when i've got the mastered product for example a full song including vocals.

And as for cd's i personally buy them for souvenirs, something i can hold onto and ofcourse listen to in my car :)

listen to in your car the biggest reason CD's are still around even mp3 you can fill about 3-5 albums in mp3 form on a CD-r

and for artists when giging/touring CD's sell good but have things like download cards available too
Music Download Cards, Download Cards
you can even sell flash cards with your logo on them filled with pics/videos/and your album(alot of extras great sale pull)
Custom USB Drives, USB Flash Drives

and of course youR cds
CD Replication, DVD Replication by Disc Makers

I posted links to this company because they are one of the best..(the best in my opinion)
plus you get discounts from their companies
cdbaby,hostbaby,bookbaby,filmbaby
and as you know CDbaby is one of the easiest ways to get your music on Itunes,amazonMP3,etc..
Discover Music | Music Distribution | Get on iTunes | CD Baby
Musician Websites | Author Websites | Build Music Website | HostBaby the editing is super deep
Self Publishing on Kindle | Publish Book on iPad | BookBaby
Independent Movies Delivered to Your Doorstep - Film Baby
back to the main topic I say have a variety of items ready to sell
a little bit of every medium
there's always a cat who only listens to Cds
there's always a cat who only listens to Ipod/MP3 play so there's the download card
there's always a cat who has the new jumpoff CD player with the USB port so there's Your Album/Record label's USB flash card
have a merch table at your show/even if it's a free mic night have your wife,cousin someone you completey trust and who has the gift of gab and is business minded to run your table...you could clean up $5 to $1000 a night

Walkinonwater.gif

THE WALKING ON WATER MEDIA/ENT/BUSINESS COACH Antonio
LETS BUILD A RELATIONSHIP TO BUILD YOUR SUCCESS

holy_lamb_media_entertainment@hotmail.com
SERVICES

marketing salesmanship
professionalism sure fire networking
faith and entertainment leadership
time management/organization niche market research
Q & A Music Business/Law Consultation Recording/Production Studio design/organization(includes equipment suggestions for your budget)
artist bio/press kit writing freelance blog posts
business startups development budget development
studio security contact resources

"they speak on malcolm and martin, christians lets speak on luther and calvin"
"My Lord is not black or white he's GLORIOUS"

what exactly are record label USBs? USBs cost too much to buy...one stick cost over 5 dollars!

Cds are really only good for merch but even then the download cards and usb sticks can do the trick and t shirts and hoodies always sell more then cds anyways

Honestly, no one wants to admit this, but flash drives are a waste of time. They are more expensive that CD's, and don't really serve any purpose that CD's can't.

Additional content? So wait. You're gonna put additional content on a flash drive, that your customer then has to put into their computer and view? Why wouldn't they just go to your website to view the additional content?

The flash drive is a pointless middle man there. It's an extra step.

And additional content has been being added to CD's since the mid 90's. You can make a CD like that on your computer. You can burn the audio so that it plays in a regular CD player, but when you put the CD in the CD drive of a computer, the additional content comes up.

That's old technology.

Anytime artists give me music on a flash drive, I stick it in my computer, copy the music off, and format the flash drive. I don't give a shit about your bio, your pictures, your videos, etc. All I care about is the music at that point.

If i like your music well enough, i'll visit your website to get additional content

Everybody likes to scream flash drives because it's something "different" than CD's, but it's really pointless.

What you need to look at is how to help the user do what they are ultimately going to do with music...PUT IT ON A PORTABLE MUSIC PLAYER. If you can eliminate steps in that process, then you're on to something.

Here's a free tip. Get a QR code that when you scan it, it instantly downloads the album to your device.

Then you've just eliminated the need for CD's, flash drives, and all of that.

Honestly, no one wants to admit this, but flash drives are a waste of time. They are more expensive that CD's, and don't really serve any purpose that CD's can't.

Additional content? So wait. You're gonna put additional content on a flash drive, that your customer then has to put into their computer and view? Why wouldn't they just go to your website to view the additional content?

And additional content has been being added to CD's since the mid 90's. You can make a CD like that on your computer. You can burn the audio so that it plays in a regular CD player, but when you put the CD in the CD drive of a computer, the additional content comes up.

That's old technology.

Anytime artists give me music on a flash drive, I stick it in my computer, copy the music off, and format the flash drive. I don't give a shit about your bio, your pictures, your videos, etc. All I care about is the music at that point.

If i like your music well enough, i'll visit your website to get additional content

Everybody likes to scream flash drives because it's something "different" than CD's, but it's really pointless.

What you need to look at is how to help the user do what they are ultimately going to do with music...PUT IT ON A PORTABLE MUSIC PLAYER. If you can eliminate steps in that process, then you're on to something.

Here's a free tip. Get a QR code that when you scan it, it instantly downloads the album to your device.

The only reason I'm screaming flash drives is cause of their size.

If you give someone a CD, that shit will most likely end up in the trash. You can't fit a CD in your pocket.. usually.

I've been on that QR code shit though!

why would any1 wanna buy a cd, when you can just email? if anyones interested ask for their facebook or something

Last edited:
QR codes are the way to go, especially considering you gonna be giving the music away for free anyway, might as well make it easy to access

CDs are cool, but im not gonna go pop a CD in that im handed honestly.. put the QR code on a dope lil flyer, and boom.

That's old technology.

what exactly are record label USBs? USBs cost too much to buy...one stick cost over 5 dollars!

you can even sell flash cards with your logo on them filled with pics/videos/and your album(alot of extras great sale pull)

that's why you have budget for every aspect of your business ..too expensive??? hmm you need to buy in bulk and much cheaper
USB Swing Drive
100 custom-printed drives for just $575
$5.75each if you fill the USB up with a your album,free mixtape,pics,video and sell it for $12.00 each you're at
$1,200-$575=$625 in your pocket

I plan on budgeting for 1000
for $5,200
and loading up 2 deluxe edition albums and 2 mixtapes,5videos,100 pics for $17.99
$1,7990-$5,200=$12,790
repeat as necceassary

this is after I have dropped about 3albums and some compilation/mixtapes
see I plan on selling each albums as below
100,000 downloads @$5.00
which is $3.25 once CDbaby and iTunes get their cut
100,000x$3.25=$325,000

I'm working on a network of 500,000(plus)christians that I get to sign up for my Changing Hearts and Minds Network and joining the "Get Out of the Pews" Campaign (the goal is 2 million)
this will take up to about 12-16 months during that time I will be connecting with this ppl on a spiritual and personal level
getting involved in their "home church functions" and their youth groups
having skype calls with Head Pastors and Youth Pastors
sending out T-shirts,sticker
with Christian "lingo"
like this
Christian Shirts - Page 1 - Christian Shirts @ C28
my website will be a place where christians and christian youth will want to come and hang out in filled with christian based activities that are not boring but something that keeps them interested
they can share testimonies,they can post games they want to play,streaming concerts,streaming studio recording sessions,hooking up with ezine DaSouth,and other partnerships/sponsors/get a couple of more known artists like Kirk Franklin,Lecrae to join up..(I'll be bringing my own ideas to the website and allowing other christians apun approve posting their ideas)

DaSouth.com | Christian Hip Hop, Holy Hip Hop, Christian Entertainment, Gospel Music, News, Music Leaks, Music Videos, Photos, Interviews, Reviews, Blogging, Social Network and more!
I dream,God giving me big dreams
it's about connecting with fans now days giving them an experience not just music...

I trying to do something for the glorious of my Lord...not about me getting rich or having fame it's about supporting my HolyLamb Works Foundation fully and if selling albums can help me do this I going to go hard

Walkinonwater.gif

THE WALKING ON WATER MEDIA/ENT/BUSINESS COACH Antonio
LETS BUILD A RELATIONSHIP TO BUILD YOUR SUCCESS

holy_lamb_media_entertainment@hotmail.com
SERVICES

marketing salesmanship
professionalism sure fire networking
faith and entertainment leadership
time management/organization niche market research
Q & A Music Business/Law Consultation Recording/Production Studio design/organization(includes equipment suggestions for your budget)
artist bio/press kit writing freelance blog posts
business startups development budget development
studio security contact resources

"they speak on malcolm and martin, christians lets speak on luther and calvin"
"My Lord is not black or white he's GLORIOUS"

that's why you have budget for every aspect of your business ..too expensive??? hmm you need to buy in bulk and much cheaper
USB Swing Drive
100 custom-printed drives for just $575
$5.75each if you fill the USB up with a your album,free mixtape,pics,video and sell it for $12.00 each you're at
$1,200-$575=$625 in your pocket

I plan on budgeting for 1000
for $5,200
and loading up 2 deluxe edition albums and 2 mixtapes,5videos,100 pics for $17.99
$1,7990-$5,200=$12,790
repeat as necessary

Yea...and I plan on selling 10 Zillion copies of my mixtape on the internet, at $1 per copy,

10 Zillion x $1 = $10 ZILLION DOLLARS!!!!!

You can throw up all the multiplication you want on the internet, but the fact is, if your market doesn't support the price point for your products, the you're not gonna sell much of anything.

The industry has already proven that CUSTOMERS AREN'T GOING TO PAY EXTRA FOR YOUR "ADDITIONAL CONTENT". Why you think CD's no longer come with DVD's of "additional content"? Because they were just an added cost, that weren't providing any real additional sales.

So why would you spend more money on something, that the customer doesn't want to pay for?

Your mixtape = Free.

Your album = $5.

So you're telling me that you expect customers to pay a premium of $7 for your pictures, bio, and behind the scenes iPhone footage??

You're kidding me, right?

You have to understand your customers consumption habits. Not only how they currently consume music/content, but how they are most likely to consume their music and content in the future.

And that's on a mobile platform. And the fact is there's not a mobile phone or portable mp3 player out there that takes a flash drive.

Your "plan" shows a fundamental lack of understanding of not only technological trends as it relates to hardware and music consumption trends, but also a lack of understanding of the consumption habits of your target market.

That's scary for someone who's selling advice on how to sell music.

email 100 megs??????

Good point, but i meant sending them a link to a hosting website such as hulkshare,megaupload etc
and if we're talking about selling music to a consumer then there are various websites such as bandcamp, Itunes and amazon.

Good point, but i meant sending them a link to a hosting website such as hulkshare,megaupload etc
and if we're talking about selling music to a consumer then there are various websites such as bandcamp, Itunes and amazon.

So what are you supposed to do, tell people at a gig "hey, goto iTunes and download my music"...

And they're supposed to remember your name/facebook page all the way until they get home??

Negative. Not gonna happen.

If you let them walk out of the door without getting their money, you can kiss that sale goodbye.

That's what CD's are good for. Point of sale. Tangible merchandise to exchange during the transaction.

So what are you supposed to do, tell people at a gig "hey, goto iTunes and download my music"...

And they're supposed to remember your name/facebook page all the way until they get home??

If you let them walk out of the door without getting their money, you can kiss that sale goodbye.

That's what CD's are good for. Point of sale. Tangible merchandise to exchange during the transaction.

How about selling the download at the gig? At least Bandcamp has unique download codes available. You would sell a card that has the url and the code on it, so the fan would visit the website to download the music bought at the gig and would probably look around as well..

almost everyone has facebook on their cellphones so if they do like your music theyll add you right away.
Just remember no ones going to buy your music if your virtually unknown

2 deluxe album(songs not included in the original album) and 2mixtapes,exclusive videos,pics that can't be seen on any website
and you can have a link to your website..(ppl buy this kinds of things if they are die-heart fans and gifts for their sister,brother,mom who is a die-heart fans)
to each their own....
your market is not my market
two different playing fields, two different sports
and at shows you should have different kinds of mediums (somethings will sell better than others granted)
alot of ppl will tell you can't do this you can't do that...
and then accomplish your goals..despite all the negative chants
die-heart fans will buy deluxe/exclusive more expensive products
ppl call them haters
I don't call them anything...I just push on doing what I want to do
ppl said oh you can't start a studio/you can't make money off of selling mixtapes of local artists
did both..and accomplished my goals

do what you can do..don't let anyone stop you from going out there and putting your plans into actions
they may not had success in doing what you're trying to do..doesn't mean you won't
if you got the budget do what you want..spend it it's your choice
alot of ppl told the successful Rap Moguls they won't make it..but they did...music still makes money even at a indie level

1.The only “yes” you need to follow your dreams is yours.
2.You’ll regret it later in life, and if you’re delaying it, you’ll question yourself why didn’t you do it sooner.
3.Not following your dreams makes you feel unaccomplished. Eventually, this will stop you from dreaming altogether.
4.It will attract some attention, even from the naysayers ad haters. You will feel strong as you prove the naysayers wrong. As Walter Bagehot said; “The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.”5.People who follow their dreams are doers. Doers have more power to create, influence, and change their environment… and eventually the world.
6.Life feels more memorable, hence you feel/become more memorable.
7.Following your dreams might take unexpected turns, but those are the interesting and memorable challenges of living the dream.
8.Those challenges will help you grow as they make you step out of your comfort zone.
9.Dreams make you take chances, but chances can bring more opportunities.
10.Afraid about it? Good. Being afraid makes you feel more alive, so smash through that brick wall of fear. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes. Elbert Hubbard once said, “The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.”
11.Your dreams and your actions define you. Don’t let others define you with what they tell you to do and not to.
12.You will inspire other to follow their own dreams, even if they know nothing about you.
13.Following your dreams makes you interesting.
14.Who doesn’t love to challenge the status quo?
15.There are no rules in life so why limit yourself to what everybody else is doing?
16.Accomplishing your dreams will spark even bigger dreams.
17.You feel you have something more to live for.
18.Even if your dreams fail, you’ll feel proud you gave it your all to accomplish them. Dreamers tend to fail, but they tend to learn more in life. You learn from failure. So, dust yourself and try it again.
19.It’s your life, live it under your terms!
blessing and love FP Fam

All these rappers say they got guns that spray off 16
I've got a Luke 9 that can take all 16
That's the Bible the one they quote
But they don't care about the author they think he's a joke.

How about selling the download at the gig? At least Bandcamp has unique download codes available. You would sell a card that has the url and the code on it, so the fan would visit the website to download the music bought at the gig and would probably look around as well..

That's fine.

But you wanna capture them in that moment of euphoria you've given them by your live show, that moved them to want to own your music.

Because the purpose to selling music isn't just to get their money, it's to make it a gateway into making them a loyal customer.

If they never download your music once they get home (or lose the card), then you've missed that opportunity.

With a CD, they can pop it in in the car, and continue the experience...continue riding that high.

I'm really saying too much at the moment. Saying way too much.

The game is to be sold...

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

almost everyone has facebook on their cellphones so if they do like your music theyll add you right away.
Just remember no ones going to buy your music if your virtually unknown

Chances are, people aren't gonna stand in front of you and go to your Facebook page on their phone.

Your CD should have your Facebook page printed on it, so they can go to it if they feel the need.

And of course people will buy your music if you're unknown...how do you think you become KNOWN???? lol

Back