Can Too Much Self Marketing and Business Pollute Creativity?

YES!

You are an artist first. The business side of things is just a necessity.

That is why it's still cool to get signed, so that you can pay someone else to take care of marketing and stuff so that you can focus on what you do best, making music.

At least that is my opinion.

Not saying to neglect the business side...

I don't think so. I am considered the mouth piece for my team. Promoting and marketing who we are and what we do really motivates us to continue doing what we are doing currently. It's reflected in the music. Keeps us excited.

Theoretically I would have to say yes... Just because of the current business model of artists that have managers, lawyers, and publicists to handle all of that stuff for them so that they can be free to be creative...

Personally with all the technology out there in 2010 I believe if you have the aptitude to wrap your mind around the business and what technologies can help you permeate it, you could develop a name for yourself doing it on your own for a while. At least until you get to a certain level.

Again, if you have the aptitude.

Theoretically I would have to say yes... Just because of the current business model of artists that have managers, lawyers, and publicists to handle all of that stuff for them so that they can be free to be creative...

Personally with all the technology out there in 2010 I believe if you have the aptitude to wrap your mind around the business and what technologies can help you permeate it, you could develop a name for yourself doing it on your own for a while. At least until you get to a certain level.

Again, if you have the aptitude.

I couldn't imagine not being hands on with the business portion of our career. Even with a manager. The business portion is just as fun and frustrating as the music portion. I guess I have a knack for both.

I couldn't imagine not being hands on with the business portion of our career. Even with a manager. The business portion is just as fun and frustrating as the music portion. I guess I have a knack for both.

I agree, but I was addressing the aspect of the question that said "too much" and I think it can become too much. Imagine one person can spend day and night working on business portions of a plan.

It doesn't pollute creativity, but it definitely cuts into the time that one has to be creative.

The business of music is definitely a full time job. And so is the creative aspect of things.

But when I do have time to be creative, I'm just as creative. Actually, being involved in the business makes me pay attention to trends, etc. So it actually helps me in making music.

It doesn't pollute creativity, but it definitely cuts into the time that one has to be creative.

The business of music is definitely a full time job. And so is the creative aspect of things.

But when I do have time to be creative, I'm just as creative. Actually, being involved in the business makes me pay attention to trends, etc. So it actually helps me in making music.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I think that it can pollute creation. It all depends on the level that you are at. If your a borderline "underground/regional rapper" or a "basement or smalltime producer" obviously your not going to have the same promotional or business responsibilities of some one larger.

I feel that there is a threshold that every person can cross.

For some people it can be a daunting task, and for those unfortunate souls making it in the music business will be an arduous endeavor.

It's about balance, and if you cannot manage that equilibrium you are doomed to failure in the music industry.

I feel you can "hustle" your music up the music chain with your business business since. But if your going to deliver a truly creative and innovative product that changes that game and has people like this is is THE GUY, and not just another producer you have to be fully into art, and the business will pollute this.

For the normal producer, your business hat is your best hat because your product honestly probably isn't something new and innovative, it's just another beat that has some nice sounds, so your going to rely on your business since heavily.

If you have an undeniable talent and product that's when you have the power to employ managers and publicist to get the contacts and things of this nature while you craft your masterpieces. But if you have no master pieces like I said before, you better have one hell of a business hat on to hustle ya **** into the right hands.

in order to be succesful u need a perfect balance of the two... cant get no where being a beast producer and not knowing the business side of it... same way that you cant be the best salesman online promoter and have read all the music law books but have a lame product...

Yes, anything can. It's up to you to maintain balance in your craft and business plan.

you don't lose creativity you just don't use it to its potential. i'm sure the ones who don't promote are a lot better musically than the ones who do. varies though. a lot of composers etc hate talking about politics from what i've heard. but ur always better at what you "invest" your time on the most.

Back