Big K.R.I.T. Doubts Sampling’s Future In Hip Hop

Sampling ain't even now, lol. Niggaz is late as hell.

... samplers, sign up for University of Phoenix.

It's a wrap.

That's what happens when you sell out to a label like Def Jam...

Krit must of been a dirt broke nigga in order to sell his soul/creativity like that.

I ain't hating on Krit love his music don't respect anything else about him.

man its hard out here for a producer, lol

yup. Soon, creating music will be a sunk cost, or artists will be owned by corporations. I mean, employees. Well that's the same. And I'm not talking about labels.
Well that's almost the case already with the 360 contracts... that's the way to go. Otherwise bye bye music as in bye bye middle class musician.

Everyone will be either super broke doing it, or ultra rich from other venues.

Sampling doesn't pay off on a major scale in 2012. People forget quickly though...just a few years ago, sampling dominated not only in hip hop, but neo-soul(Melanie Fiona, Estelle, Trey Songz, ect). The industry as a whole is o
in a bad place right now. When they're cutting corners on advertising/marketing, development, production/engineering in general as well as distribution, why would they not cut out middlemen with sample clearance. It's as over for producers, engineers, artists in general on a major scale as it is for "sampling" in this era. It's over for keyboard producers...ain't no more Storches like there ain't no more Primos.

Hell, you can't even put out mixtape and promo material these days without getting sued, but at the same time majors are paying $1500 to 3500 for an album cut? You used to get 2-5k just to hold a beat that might make an album. That's the trickle down from everyone being BROKE.

Music hasn't even come to a halt, it's reverted back to a craft for the passionate when for the last couple decades it's been a cash cow. Do what you want with your music if you're passionate about it. Better to make minimum wage doing what you want then trying to keep up with "what's in" and always falling short making nothing because your music isn't genuine. Especially in a time when a flash in the pan career is the most anyone can expect.

Not just referencing sampling, just referencing anyone who thinks they need to change the way they work to further their career.

Last edited:
Well I guess if it's over for keyboard producers and samplers. Nothing left to do but be a mouse producer hahahaha.

Especially in a time when a flash in the pan career is the most anyone can expect.

Now you are the devil.

BUT! I will revert back to my old theory of.... ANYTHING you can get out of making music.... is a positive. Even if you just make enough to start yourself a few Espresso stands (with women in bikini's working in them).

Can you further break this down in regards to the keyboard producers?

Absolutely. "Keyboard based" producers who don't sample and make beats from scratch now come a dime a dozen. So therefore, before you ever make it into a bracet of establishment where you can stand to make real money, you get replaced by another kid with a midi controller and Fl who can make your same sound. So why would they pay anyone what they're worth before they just go find the next guy to undercut you.

No more $100k a beat and rights because you created the track from scratch. As soon as you're able to demand that, you get replaced by another with the same sound. In 1999 the game was about being smart enough to demand everything you have the right to. In 2012 the game is about being smart enough to waive everything so you can keep getting work.

So as a from scratch keyboardist in 2012, even after a few placements on records, once you bend over for a paycheck, you aren't getting what Just blaze was making as an entry level sampler a decade ago. You'll never make it to a status where you're positioned to ask for $100k a track like storch once could along with a good split and rights because you wrote the entire composition of a song. Before that happens, they'll call in another kid to jack your style and start him back where you started, lol.

No one samples anymore. Time for us to stop convincing ourselves every kid in america doesn't have access and enough talent to make most of the tracks found on 2chainz new album. So what would they pay extra for? Quality doesn't sell anymore than garbage these days. There's no incentive to persue a "better quality'.

They just want the cheapest most effective job done so they can cash in more in the end.

Heard the mix on Slaughterhouse's new album? That's Eminem's camp. They can't even pay for real engineering anymore. I coulda done a better job mixing an album that came out of shady/aftermath? Who'd they get to do that? Someone qualified who was so underpaid he didn't care...or someone for a hook up price?

Either way, music game all around. Same reason you see a new artists everyday, but vets are rapidly disappearing. Why pay nelly/storch/maserati/whoever what he feels he deserves when you can put out a new guy who's too dumb to know he's being raped...when he finds out...drop him and put out another new guy.

Sampling is the small part of the equasion. The fact that KRIT has already figured out skipping that step keeps more money in his pocket let's me know he's watching the money in his pocket. That let's me know how close to an end to his career he already is. They'll find another KRIT when he starts wanting his proper cut.

How can people that grew up on sampling be so against it? Sampling wasn't an option when HIphop was in it's prime it kinda went hand in hand. Your music contains the musical DNA of an artist you respect or admire. YOu brang a little part of him back to the contemporary. At least that's the way I think about it.I think producers that are against sampling were just mad that they couldn't do the shit right. Now them mofos happy that sampling might get taken out of the equation. Sorry but sampling aint going nowhere. People are gonna get tired of the generic synths. I'll put money on it.Once everybody switches over to non sampled production, you're gonna get one big sample based producer and then everyone is gonna hop back on the sample train to emulate him. How the hell can you even have Hiphop without sampling? That shit goes hand in hand.

if youre an actual piano player, theres money in being a "keyboard producer"

labels pay you to replay samples now more than ever, ive been contacted by a bunch of camps to do that for their producers
also touring still brings in millions of dollars in revenue, being skilled enough to be a touring musician has its pros.. lots of cons as well but it still has its pros
plus you can always teach bullshit ass lessons as well, i made a killing in money off teaching piano lessons to little kids and old people. 25-30 bucks an hour, straight cash, you do 16 of those in a weekend and make you a cool 500 bucks by monday.

theres no money in being a producer, traditionally. Ive been said it, people said i was lying. THeres money in music, just not how we know it. Its a beautiful thing in my opinion, but then again i'm a classically trained pianist with a college degree from a prestigious school. So i'm aware of a lot of the options and we study a lot of the patterns of the music industry and how the different business models

you may have to do some things you didnt think you were doing before.. but all you have to do is find the companies that arent losing money and figure out how to get them to utilize your music. It's all about having an insane network.

and just working. It's not gonna get easier, you gotta be 3 steps ahead of what everybody else is doing. That whole "what is Johnny Juliano doing to sell lots of beats" way of thinking is retarded. You'll never sell more beats on soundclick than Johnny or SSO or Vybe. Never. Even if they laid out the blueprint for you to do it, you still wouldnt. It's life.

but the sooner you get off the internet, and go out in to the real world, meet with people, talk with people outside of genre and outside of your field. You realize that people really do appreciate music. You dont think Nike & them big boy companies appreciate music? I mean where would apple's advertising be without songs? You land one of those gigs and youre good for at least 2-3 years.

moral of the story is. Get outside, breathe fresh air, and study some young billionaires (who didnt inherit all their bread) in other fields of entertainment/fashion production and you'll see different concepts that you can apply to your music career.

@Deranged

Ok gotcha, thanks!

And yes there has been an overall devaluation in the marketplace FINANCIALLY for what we consider to be the 'traditional rap producer' which is why I advocate producers should lean more towards becoming production company entities (think Rick Rubin - Def Jam Records) and/or Instrumental Artists (think Skrillex) if you're more interested in long term financial success in this music business than momentary notoriety and a couple of good-feeling retweets. Getting a discography of traditional placements is no longer the end goal result but instead can open the door to better help establish your brand as you go into either/both directions.

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

if youre an actual piano player, theres money in being a "keyboard producer"

The REDEFINITION of what it is to be a 'producer' in 2012 continues to change and expand, as it should

theres no money in being a producer, traditionally. Ive been said it, people said i was lying. THeres money in music, just not how we know it.

Nuff said....

Last edited:
the value within the music industry is 0. We have no respect or value for music or how its created because we know how cheap and how easy it is to make. Other companies still dont have those skills. So you may find yourself working out of the music industry to make money off your music

Back