The best rap tempo

russtafari

What do you think the perfect tempo for a rap song is? Perfect meaning that the flow over it isn't too slow (and sounds like just talking) or too fast (and only super fast rappers can rap over it). Just asking for your opinion. To me the best tempo is 96BPM. I don't know why but my flow comes out perfectly at that speed.

94-98 bpms is solid anything above is dancable and slower than 92 is where i notice emcees get more lyrical .....or at least try

prototype said:
94-98 bpms is solid anything above is dancable and slower than 92 is where i notice emcees get more lyrical .....or at least try

thats true but i think the tempo should be at least 100-105 THEN anything below it is lyrical and above it is danceable

Ok everyone is saying the exact same thing "it's between this and that". What you are saying is what everyone already knows, the whole rap genre is in that range. Tempo makes pretty much any genre what it is. What I was asking is what do you think the PERFECT tempo is. I said 96.

Well, if i had to pick a "perfect" tempo it would be 90 bpm. It's a very happy medium for Hip Hop.. It could be a head bobbin or danceable tempo depending on how you freaked the track.

No Problem. I'm sure everyone has a differing opinion or preference for tempo. 90 bpm seems to be a good place to start for me. I either slow it down or speed it up a bit from there.

cappachino said:
78 is too slow

Dirty south songs are 78-84 usually so it's not too slow. Each genre has it's own range. Juelz Santans - Santana's Town is also 78bpm so I suggest you do some research before saying something.

Jos

<sigh>...all of this convo about nothing.

It has little to do with tempo and more about how you structure the drums. The tempo that you feel on a track is less about the BPM's and more about how the percussion is structured and how the MC flows on it.

For instance. If you put rapid hi hats every 32nd note, it's gonna sound way faster than if on the same track you just put a hi hat every 8th note.

So it's more about how the instrumentation is structured than it is about the actual bpms.

Why? Cuz i said so.

Well actually most people structure the drums in almost the exact same way. The snares hit in the same spot usually and that's really what drives the song. I know there are other ways to structure the drums, it's just that hardly anyone travels from the norm.

Back