Best musician in hip hop?

JARAMILLO

I would have to say for me it would be ?uestlove because his an awsome drum player and one the best today in all different genres of music

Pretty void discussion considering that hip hop and rap music are not technical forms. The level of profiency in it is verrry low. So its like "Who is the best in little league baseball?" or something.

Doesnt really matter except for vague and worthless classification of things for the sake of it.

Just what I think. 50 dudes are gonna say Scott Storch for his ability to hammer out quarter note minor chords anyway.

1005 said:
DJ Quik gets my vote..

muhfukka lol... as soon as i saw the thread topic I thought "Oooh i'ma go say DJ Quik" beaten to it. Is it just me, or has he kinda been off it... like his old stuff up until rhythmalism and balance and options was still tight... but under the influence I wasnt as satisfied with, and trauma I'm thinkin he couldve done alot better. I still think when Quik gets old and grows out of rap, we'll still hear him making stuff that plays on jazz stations.. mark my word

Nah, the illest musician in hip hop is Wyclef Jean

Research on him and find out for yourself. No one is touching dude. No chance.

i say madlib, listen to his shades of blue album, he did a dam good job replayin all them songs

Qomplex said:
Dilla still undefeated. RIP

Co-sign. My dude's father was ill in the Impressions. Mr. Yancey knew drums, keys, bass and dabbled with the axe...D'Angelo's Voodoo was INSPIRED by Dilla beat tapes.

The "lacking in proficiency" department is a TERRIBLE assumption. You've got to remember, this music was developed from a lack of resources, NOT a lack talent or for a lack of desire or ingenuity. Those kids on the come-up simply could not afford to hone their natural talents with instruments or devoted instructors. There's a lot of natural musical talent in this genre that never got its chance to blossom and took a different, and unconventional, direction. So, to compare Hip-Hop to little league is more than presumptuous, lol

Last edited:
dr. dre is one of the greatest producers/artists of all time but i think now lil wayne iz da best his freestyles r sick

Dr. Dre.. i doubt it. He's a great producer but his musicianship is in doubt most of the time since his production consists more of bringing together talented musicians to create his work.

I'd say J.R. Rotem. He's unbelievable on the keys.

Mike Dean from Rap-a-Lot. don't know if he's the "best" but he is nice wit it.

Back