Beats. FREE downloads. Pros VS Cons

mobeatz

Anyone want to weigh in on the pros VS cons of FREE downloads?

Tagged or un-tagged.

If your beats are 128/mp3 rate what can go wrong? I mean is someone going to make a record with a low quality MP3 file?

The free dl is a tool used to shoot up the charts and direct traffic to your other non free beats. you make a new mainstream beat from scratch with the intent of making it free and if enough people take you up on your free offer it will rise in the rankings making your profile visible near the top and then they click your soundclick and hopefully browse for more and buy. Marketing.

robot is dead on right, it is known as a leader loss and is the same model used by phone companies when you get that free phone.

The free dl is a tool used to shoot up the charts and direct traffic to your other non free beats. you make a new mainstream beat from scratch with the intent of making it free and if enough people take you up on your free offer it will rise in the rankings making your profile visible near the top and then they click your soundclick and hopefully browse for more and buy. Marketing.

^Pretty much this.

Let me ask it this way. What can you do with a 128Kb/MP3?

In other words, would there be any value in it other than practicing a rap or song over it?

Or is a 128Kb/MP3 demo acceptable?

The question is not so much the free Download, but the free LOW quality MP3, download.

I hope that makes sense

In other words, would there be any value in it other than practicing a rap or song over it?

The question is not so much the free Download, but the free LOW quality MP3, download.

I hope that makes sense

Yeah it makes sense.

128Kb is still listenable. What's so bad about it? You're not gonna get a mainstream hit with a free download or lease anyway, they're more for mixtape/promotional uses. Doesn't have to sound like it came outta Dre's studio. I guess if you're really serious about your artistry you'd cop Exclusive Rights to a beat and work with the WAV/Session files. Low quality free downloads are aimed at those who wouldn't question the whole ''128Kb'' thing, they see ''Free'' attached to a beat and bring your page attention in return. Talented dudes who go in over Free 128KB DLs, could still make something listen-worthy and gain attention so I guess there is value there.

Just a view on the whole thing.

Yeah it makes sense.

128Kb is still listenable. What's so bad about it? You're not gonna get a mainstream hit with a free download or lease anyway, they're more for mixtape/promotional uses. Doesn't have to sound like it came outta Dre's studio. I guess if you're really serious about your artistry you'd cop Exclusive Rights to a beat and work with the WAV/Session files. Low quality free downloads are aimed at those who wouldn't question the whole ''128Kb'' thing, they see ''Free'' attached to a beat and bring your page attention in return. Talented dudes who go in over Free 128KB DLs, could still make something listen-worthy and gain attention so I guess there is value there.

Just a view on the whole thing.

Thanks. That is what I wanted to know. I understand the freebie part. But I wanted to know if someone would be willing to pay for the high quality audio files if the already got the 128/MP3.

So it still has to be tagged regardless I guess

Yo MoBeatz I listened to your beats and they're cool, they have a nice ambience goin

Tho your low end is a little wild on most tracks, how's your monitoring?

Yo MoBeatz I listened to your beats and they're cool, they have a nice ambience goin

Tho your low end is a little wild on most tracks, how's your monitoring?

Thanks for checking me out.

In short. My monitoring situation is not good :)

I'm using 5.1 speakers for now

Can you be a bit more specific about the wild low end? Too much too little, too fat too thin LOL

I'm thinking of picking up some Rockit(KRK) monitors.

Quality don't mean **** no more. A Loud and smushy 128mp3 is in style now. If your ears don't bleed at low volume, it's not good enuff. Quality gets no respect, just make it sound like Shawty Redd, and you good to go.

Last edited:
allright, I don't hve alotta time, but at first glance:

The snare in It's you is a little muffled, could use some spark, and the bass could be a bit deeper (but not louder)

The Bassdrum on Romantic Jam is too loud, and it doesn't sit in the mix very well, I would use some compression to make it sound a lil sweeter..also after hearing it again, the bassdrum isn't always in the pocket (or too much in the pocket) it needs a little groove to it

The low-end on Your voice is way too much, especially on the pads..when the drums come in it sounds a little distorted (keep the meters off the red, it causes clipping which may hence the distortion) you need to put a highpassfilter (or other envolope-controll plug) on the pad,this gives the drums some breathing space, there's almost no headroom in the track, especially when the different sounds come in. But the track has a real nice feel! I like it very much, just needs some mixing.

My Angel, again way too much low, try compressing the bassline, esp the bassline, it's just everywhere and way too loud (This article adresses phasing which could come in handy when you mix: http://www.videomaker.com/article/12246/)
The reverb on the snare (prob. a Hall) is too artificial for my taste but maybe you were goin for that effect.

I'm not a pro by any means tho, so don't take it as gospel, just what I'm thinking about it, trying to help a fellow producer :D

peace

allright, I don't hve alotta time, but at first glance:

The snare in It's you is a little muffled, could use some spark, and the bass could be a bit deeper (but not louder)

The Bassdrum on Romantic Jam is too loud, and it doesn't sit in the mix very well, I would use some compression to make it sound a lil sweeter..also after hearing it again, the bassdrum isn't always in the pocket (or too much in the pocket) it needs a little groove to it

The low-end on Your voice is way too much, especially on the pads..when the drums come in it sounds a little distorted (keep the meters off the red, it causes clipping which may hence the distortion) you need to put a highpassfilter (or other envolope-controll plug) on the pad,this gives the drums some breathing space, there's almost no headroom in the track, especially when the different sounds come in. But the track has a real nice feel! I like it very much, just needs some mixing.

My Angel, again way too much low, try compressing the bassline, esp the bassline, it's just everywhere and way too loud (This article adresses phasing which could come in handy when you mix: http://www.videomaker.com/article/12246/)
The reverb on the snare (prob. a Hall) is too artificial for my taste but maybe you were goin for that effect.

I'm not a pro by any means tho, so don't take it as gospel, just what I'm thinking about it, trying to help a fellow producer :D

peace

Thanks for taking the time to give some detailed feedback! Really preciate it.

I'll check the link.

I hope that makes sense
people will rap on it regardless and put out albums full of those mp3s hell Itunes releases are 128kb mp3s arent they

Back