Beats - Complexity vs Simplicity

I mean really, what do you all consider danceable from an urban standpoint?

Seemed to be people agreeing with him if you look at the posts,

i mean saying "Pop Records have more groove than Urban Records in 2012" and "Urban Records aren't danceable" are two different things. im pretty sure i saw no one actually agree with that Kevelra on that one part.

I put what I agreed with in boldface.

'tis all.

This could be true...

I see my son dancing all the time. The dances look funny but he and his friends seem to have a good time with the music they find.

Somebody called Labyrinth is on his ipod...

listen to 'earthquake' by labyrinth, the mix is f7cking beautiful. i love it but it makes me sad because it makes me realise how far i have still to go.

Who said urban stuff can't be simple? I don't think it gets more basic than this...Tyga's the king of rocking "simple" radio hits.

listen to 'earthquake' by labyrinth, the mix is f7cking beautiful. i love it but it makes me sad because it makes me realise how far i have still to go.

That's the song he has on his ipod, lol.

I guess I better start listening to my son's music.

That's exactly it. You nailed it with that Dr. Luke comparison. It's kinda like a Beach Boys swag. Lyrics are easy to digest, yet creative and convey a message. Instruments are relatively simple (although there are some really detailed intricacies in there, I'm learning), and a simple melody.

And it works. It's all over the charts. All over the radio. All over EVERYTHING.

What I really want to know is... Is that really what people want to hear? Or is it just what is being pushed through the mainstream?

That's the song he has on his ipod, lol.

I guess I better start listening to my son's music.

haha.,he has taste.you dont need to bother with much of labyrinth's other stuff but..some serious producers in the uk now though, rappers too..

If you want to see the state of music, go to Vegas. I go pretty often and there is only 1 hiphop club (Some closed due to shootings) but everything else is Pop/Dance/Techno stuff. The hiphop they play is like one song then they'll go right back to Pit bull or something.

What I really want to know is... Is that really what people want to hear? Or is it just what is being pushed through the mainstream?

I like it. Katy Perry's album is the shit. Karmin is extremely talented with production and songwriting. Kelly Clarkson's album is ill. And Taylor Swift just made a lifetime fan out of me.

And yeah...people wanna hear it. That stuff isn't cookie cutter to me. Katy Perry's joints are very fresh and stand out.

People wanna hear it, because they keep buying it.

I dont know it but it reminds me of a Whitney Houston biography I was watching over the weekend. They talked about how Clive Davis had to strip away Whitney's Gospel influences and make her music more pop. They said the first version of saving all my love for you was "too Black" according to Clive and he sent it back. Pop music is on some different shyt and it tends to be generic & strip away the essence of the music in many instances.

People need to study the power of the BPM and composition in radio, clubs, and make their music DJ compatible. DJ's love to loop parts of a song with minimal vocals (at the same BPM) and blend the two. Even the drums alone should be significant to the song to where people recognize the loop like "OH....my song getting ready to come in". Technology is good enough to blend songs today from different BPMs but still. That's when you are using your head in any genre based on radio play and club play. Some music people just want to ride to.....cool......don't expect it to get the kind of rotation you want.

Last edited:

a combination of both. Mainstream is only gonna push what they think can be a hit. If it can't be a hit then they're not gonna push it.

What's the diff b/w urban and pop? Or is that urban is a diff name for hip-hop/r&b. Haven't many hip-hop artist always tried to go mainstream/pop because the realize it has better sales or broader audience. Crossover appeal they used to say.I mean b.o.b did a song with Taylor that did real well. I agree that they have diff styles, but isn't that by choice. I mean is Chief Keef ready to go pop.

What's the diff b/w urban and pop? Or is that urban is a diff name for hip-hop/r&b. Haven't many hip-hop artist always tried to go mainstream/pop because the realize it has better sales or broader audience. Crossover appeal they used to say.I mean b.o.b did a song with Taylor that did real well. I agree that they have diff styles, but isn't that by choice. I mean is Chief Keef ready to go pop.

Urban: Future

Pop: Katy Perry

Cheif Keef going pop? that's like water and oil it don't mix And...

21784882.jpg

Which Pop producer do you think are the best? I personally like Stargate very much but there's not so much information about them.

I never felt pop music was too generic.

Pop music just strip things down to their core elements in a way that makes it easy to consume.

"i'm going out to party" resonates more with people than "i'm going to Rebecca's going away party"

listen to this:

or this:

that's the best i've ever heard Nicki. Incredibly simple lyrics but monster hits.

Back