ASCAP... Someone Explain.

D

DayuM Itz BeeZy

I already copyright my work.. what exactly is ASCAP. I was reading something about royalties but I already make all my artists sign contracts about royalties.. so what eexactly is ASCAP gonna do for me?

why are you dealing with contracts about royalties when u dont know about PROs?

Last edited:
if joe blow commercial maker plays your song in his commercial...ascap plays enforcer and collects the cheese for you (i.e. Makes them pay or kneecaps a muthaluva)...of course you know that take a piece before they write you a check...

ONE

DayuM Itz BeeZy said:
I already copyright my work.. what exactly is ASCAP. I was reading something about royalties but I already make all my artists sign contracts about royalties.. so what eexactly is ASCAP gonna do for me?

LMAO.......COME ON MAN.....WTF IN THE CONTRACT DO YOU SAY ABOUT ROYALTIES...LOL.....WHO GON GIVE YOU THE ROYALTIES IN YOUR CONTRACT?...

So ASCAP enforces royalties? It sounds like you guys are saying it doesn't matter what he puts in his contracts if nobody enforces it? What are PROs?

TheLetterL said:
So ASCAP enforces royalties? It sounds like you guys are saying it doesn't matter what he puts in his contracts if nobody enforces it? What are PROs?

im not even sure what some one who doesnt know whos paying his royalties would put in a contract about royalties........... so i dunno @ the first 2

but PROs is short hand for Peformance rights Organizations

thank you...so ASCAP is like SAG for musicians...yeah I guess there is no point in stating that you want royalties in your contract because the artist isn't going to pay them...royalties come from airplay, not recording?

A PRO is a Performance Rights Organization

They consist of ASCAP, BMI, SESAC

The first two are more for popular music and the last being for classical more often than not.

What they do is they survey, venues, radio stations, TV, and any medium your music is played in with the exception of music video because they are considered promotional material and not for sale. They act on behalf of their artists to make sure all PERFORMANCE ROYALTIES due to their artists are paid. This happens quarterly.

They do this world wide and send out checks at two different times so you know what money is coming from what.

This is not for everytime your music is played on the radio because they don't survey everyday, just for 4 days out of the month and if your stuff is played during that time period, you get paid. Now, this also isn't a whole lot of money, but it can be built upon. If you're getting heavy spin across the country then this can be substantial, if it's just local your money isn't going to be big at all.

The Harry Fox Agency is a company that track album and single sales and they collect the money from those sales and send it to the label and then they give it to you.

This is called a MECHANICAL ROYALTY and this is the one most people familiar with and your points determine how much of this money you get, since it is directly taken out of monies generated at the cash register.

This can also be substantial or minimal depending on your level of success, most time an artists will never see any of this money because it is also used to offset any advances given to the artists. Producers don't have to worry about this because if you are signed with a label, your advance is non-recoupable and it is your money and anything generated from it goes to you anyway.

In the music business the person on the album is cover is always the last to get paid, and that's how it happens.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
El-bone said:

The first two are more for popular music and the last being for classical more often than not.

What they do is they survey, venues, radio stations, TV, and any medium your music is played in with the exception of music video because they are considered promotional material and not for sale. They act on behalf of their artists to make sure all PERFORMANCE ROYALTIES due to their artists are paid. This happens quarterly.

They do this world wide and send out checks at two different times so you know what money is coming from what.

This is not for everytime your music is played on the radio because they don't survey everyday, just for 4 days out of the month and if your stuff is played during that time period, you get paid. Now, this also isn't a whole lot of money, but it can be built upon. If you're getting heavy spin across the country then this can be substantial, if it's just local your money isn't going to be big at all.

The Harry Fox Agency is a company that track album and single sales and they collect the money from those sales and send it to the label and then they give it to you.

This is called a MECHANICAL ROYALTY and this is the one most people familiar with and your points determine how much of this money you get, since it is directly taken out of monies generated at the cash register.

This can also be substantial or minimal depending on your level of success, most time an artists will never see any of this money because it is also used to offset any advances given to the artists. Producers don't have to worry about this because if you are signed with a label, your advance is non-recoupable and it is your money and anything generated from it goes to you anyway.

In the music business the person on the album is cover is always the last to get paid, and that's how it happens.

Hope that helps.

you just may have ruined the rosey red view for many aspiring emcees....

"Last to get paid?!?!"

"Man that's some bullshyt!"...

LOL

ENo

one-derkid said:
you just may have ruined the rosey red view for many aspiring emcees....

"Last to get paid?!?!"

"Man that's some bullshyt!"...

LOL

ENo
It is the truth. That's the one thing they don't tell you. The advance is only a loan and that is to be paid back through your mechanical royalties and it has to be paid back in full before you see a dime off of record sales. Also, if you buy anything with the advance money for yourself, ie. chains, clothes, house/apartment etc. the label owns it, not you.

If you don't meet the level of your advance in sales, then whatever you owe goes into what you will owe for your next album., that's called cross-collateralization. And you will be paying off your fist advance for your first album with your second album and you haven't even started paying off your second advance for your second album.

It's shady as hell in the business man.

so in order to sign up with ascap, we need a company like so-n-so productions or blahblah music group or somethin?

BussaNut said:
so in order to sign up with ascap, we need a company like so-n-so productions or blahblah music group or somethin?
If you want to sign up as your own publisher yes...Just a writter No.....

BussaNut said:
you don't have to have it set up, you can get it through them.

you can name it on your application, they give you 5 choices and the first one that is available will be chosen for your publishing company name.

So make sure your get some good names because this will be with your forever.

After you get the name, you can get all the legal stuff done and they send you tax info and everything.

El-bone said:

Hope that helps.

Thorough

TheLetterL said:
Thanks, I took a class in music business 2 years ago and I got all of this stuff in my head. I have no problem sharing it, if it helps people. I've even an artist management contract that their lawyers looked over and agreed to.

So for producers these PRO companies basically help you get your royalties?

Back