All of u still buying CDs are the reason da industry is fuked up!!!

Ear2thaground said:
What I'm talking about is the fact that you feel that its OUR responsibility as consumers to make this change. That responsibility lies within the shareholders and corporate execs of the failing companies. You can't make the paying consumer the excuse why your business is failing. Of course digital distribution will dominate one day, but it's not going to change overnight. I understand where you are going, but most consumers are pretty ignorant the damage that may or may not be happening to companies because of their dependency on a format that is soon to phase out. Why would any of them care that a business is not at it's peak when they are still being delivered what they want? Until digital distribution is the primary form of distribution then it's the companies responsibility to find another way to maximize profits not the consumers.

My point is to stop pointing the finger at the consumer. They are getting what they want. No point in bitching to the customer about how they are affecting sales when they are buying what they want. They don't care that so called artist is not getting his fair share when it is percieved that everyone is a millionaire with their rented props and ridiculous advances.

Good point.

You're right, it's the execs' fault and THEY should fix it.

Maybe I worded it wrong. I should have said they are a small part of the problem.

But it is annoying hearing people regurgitate tha same old BS the execs sold to them, that we should feel sorry for the artists, just so that they can milk as much more money as they can from CDs.

Meanwhile, the artists are paying for their ineptitude because they're being dropped and new artists aren't even given a chance.

These guys don't give a sh*t about the artists. Most of the money from CDs goes to them, not artists, that's the ONLY reason they want to keep it alive. And the more we try to keep CDs alive, the longer this generation will keep downloading music for free and soon it will be too late to monitize file sharing because a whole generation will expect music to be free.

what part of not everyone has a computer let alone a fast internet connection or a bank account with a debit or credit card to even be able to purchase music online don't you republic suburban ass n*ggaz understand?

that's why the cool kids had the biggest underground buzz in the industry and only sold 4k first week because of thinking you can survive strictly digitally and over-estimating what people have access to.......

Jackpot ProductionZ said:
what part of not everyone has a computer let alone a fast internet connection or a bank account with a debit or credit card to even be able to purchase music online don't you republic suburban ass n*ggaz understand?

that's why the cool kids had the biggest underground buzz in the industry and only sold 4k first week because of thinking you can survive strictly digitally and over-estimating what people have access to.......

That's one of the problems. I said in my first post, people want A LOT (gigs) of music for VERY LITTLE money.

That's why I think that model that troup derscribed was the best idea yet.

Right now, they're trying to sell music online like they were selling CDs, that's to expensive for people nowadays, people want to fill their ipods and hard drives.

Search online and see how many songs are traded online a day. THAT'S what needs to be monetized. We don't need to invent a new distribution system. The public has already decided. We just need to monetize it at a REASONABLE price.

The music industry runs on gimmics. The fact is, as far as hiphop is concerned America loves ****ty rap. And I don't see that changing anytime soon. Music isn't going to get any better cause the only thing selling is dumb ****, ESPECIALLY if it has a dance to go along with it.

It's like... dudes are too lazy.
And there's no effort in any of this.

And the artists these days don't care about anybody unless they are trying to cut the millions.

But as far as songs being too expensive... I mean I don't know about that. Everybody wants everything handed to them for free on a silver platter, and they wanna keep that platter and cash that in later for profit as well.

Last edited:
calmAss said:
Good point.

You're right, it's the execs' fault and THEY should fix it.

Maybe I worded it wrong. I should have said they are a small part of the problem.

But it is annoying hearing people regurgitate tha same old BS the execs sold to them, that we should feel sorry for the artists, just so that they can milk as much more money as they can from CDs.

Meanwhile, the artists are paying for their ineptitude because they're being dropped and new artists aren't even given a chance.

These guys don't give a sh*t about the artists. Most of the money from CDs goes to them, not artists, that's the ONLY reason they want to keep it alive. And the more we try to keep CDs alive, the longer this generation will keep downloading music for free and soon it will be too late to monitize file sharing because a whole generation will expect music to be free.
Artists getting less than they deserve is nothing new. It has been like that for decades, but they don't have to sign to a major label. You can always go independent if you would like to cut out a lot of the bull**** that the majors provide.

Jackpot ProductionZ said:

Co-sign. I don't feel sorry for these artists. Man art and money don't really mix anyway. As long as they can put food on the table and a roof over their head who gives a ****. People need to read the fine print before they sign a contract.

Last edited by a moderator:
i cram to overstand. how exactly are people ruining the industry by still buying cds? most people want songs not albums? say's who?

why would the majority of money go to an artist that 99% ain't paying any money out of pocket and which the vast majority never even break even in terms of dollars put into them if their on a label, major or indie, regardless of how the music is distributed?

Inverted314 said:
The music industry runs on gimmics. The fact is, as far as hiphop is concerned America loves ****ty rap. And I don't see that changing anytime soon. Music isn't going to get any better cause the only thing selling is dumb ****, ESPECIALLY if it has a dance to go along with it.

It's like... dudes are too lazy.
And there's no effort in any of this.

And the artists these days don't care about anybody unless they are trying to cut the millions.

But as far as songs being too expensive... I mean I don't know about that. Everybody wants everything handed to them for free on a silver platter, and they wanna keep that platter and cash that in later for profit as well.

I think that's far from the truth, most of the stuff that's selling it's stuff that's solid. The stuff with all the dancing gets more air time and sells more ringtones but it's not selling albums. The recent successful Hip Hop albums have come from Lil' Wayne, Young Jeezy, Rick Ross, Kanye West, Nas, Jay-Z, etc... The only successful " ringtone rapper " has been Soulja Boy. People still buy ALBUMS, but what they won't buy is CD's with singles ( for the most part ) they'll just download the MP3 or ringtone.

calmAss said:
This is a response to the TI video saying we should buy his album if we like it.

Let me break this down.

In business, you should find out what the people want and make and market a product or sevice to cater to that need.

It has been clear for about 8 to 9 years that people DON'T want CDs anymore.
People want:

1. Files - files that don't get scratched after playing it a couple of
times. Files that you can put on your ipod, phone or usb and
carry it around with you easily.

2.Lots of files - which means they want music to be MUCH cheaper
it used to be so that they can fill the ipods and hard
drives. They don't want to pay the same price for mp3s
as CDs when they are less quality, they don't have
a nice booklet and they cost less to make and
distribute.

3.Ease of access - They're sick of going to the store to find the CD
want is not available or is sold out.

4.Songs over albums - Most (not all) people are into songs more than
albums. Usually they will go through an album
and pick they favourite songs and put those
on their music player and play it on shuffle.

Now surely after knowing this, the music execs would have found a way provide and monitize this service. But noooo, they liked all the money they were making from CDs and are to scared to change. Unfortunately, they hold a lot of power in the music industry preventing and attacking anyone trying to find a way to monetize this new system.

And YOU (the guys buying CDs) are helping them. They use your empathy for the artists to keep you buying CDs so that they can delay the change and they are TRYING to use fear to make the listening public to do the same. That's like Underwood (the typewriter company) trying to force us to ditch computers and go back to typewriters cause they're not making money from it anymore!

They need a kick up the ass. As long as you keep buying CDs the longer they will take to change.

So fuk them and their CDs.

I think you have your post anology mixed up my friend....

The music industry has declined over the years based on album sales and downloads, industry artist are taking big hits because of the loss of their music selling, because of downloads and the quality of music. Alot of the reason the music industry has declined is due to the contribution of our economic status as well, people are just not buying anymore and are taking advantage of the "pirate error" meaning the creation of the almighty download and cd burner.

just this year usher has loss approximatley 6000000.00 that's roughly $500,000 x 12.00 a cd(+ or minus a few dollars) - roughly to pirated downloads. Now that's a hell of a loss when considering money spent, time to create the album, engineers for mastering and promotion etc.

earlier on when the music industry was in its prime (as far as assets and monetary collateral) artist such as Michael Jackson, Prince, R Kelly's early years, Mary J. Blidge, Busta rhymes etc during the 90's and so on did not have the challenge of these things because #1 cd burners, you tube, and downloading had not been invented yet (or released whichever came first) #2 the generation respected the artist on a musical level vs a "i want it now level" or "phuck it, i can burn it" idea

lets not forget the pre condition the music industry was in before these devices were into play, major labels were the only way to get music out and the levels of talent was greater more diverse because you were judged based on real talent, delivery and appearence and it was hard to get a deal especially if you could not "cut" it. now adays you download reason and your an "artist or producer" instantly !.

so you think..............

the major labels could afford to give out 1,2,3 million dollar budgets because the artist was so talanted and gifted along with album sales and prior records that signing an artist with a 1 million dollar budget could easily return 15 to 25 million on their investment.

and then theres this..............

The home studio, producer, engineer was not as common as today..
with respect to that note - its still the same as far as engineering and production theory are concerned reletive to the teaching and knowledge realm , but not everyone can be that engineer or producer alot of people "think" they can, production is more than making a beat, you have to be a well trained instructor as well. but since the evolution of Reason, FL, and the software based studio, alot of elementary artist have the notion that "making a beat or "bangor" , is what a producers role is when in fact its totally a sense of falsehood and guitar center is the only one profiting from this. i mean half of these people on here (not saying all !)could not write a song to save their a$$, i am not talking about bullsh! either i am saying either a true hiphop piece or an rnb hit without using profanity in his or her work.

alot of young people want everything to happen for them today, when they are not willing to sacrifice HARD WORK and dedicate themselves to learning proaudio, study and gain knowledge from true experts or goto school.

My wife and i saw T-Pane live and it made me sick as phuck, that dude cannot sing worth sh!. WTF is going on now... he should have "autotuned" the whole concert.

This and alot of other key interest have "killed the music industy's potential".

Last edited:
Ear2thaground said:
Artists getting less than they deserve is nothing new. It has been like that for decades, but they don't have to sign to a major label. You can always go independent if you would like to cut out a lot of the bull**** that the majors provide.

Going independent won't stop the fact that people don't want your CD, they want the files for much less than the CD, wether you like it or not.

Co-sign. I don't feel sorry for these artists. Man art and money don't really mix anyway. As long as they can put food on the table and a roof over their head who gives a ****. People need to read the fine print before they sign a contract.[/quote]

You need money to make quality. You need to hire quality producers, songwriters, musicians, engineers ect. And you can't tell artists that as long as they can eat, the're ok. Arstist have relatively short careers compared to most other occupations. The money they make needs to last their WHOLE life.

redboy007 said:
I think you have your post anology mixed up my friend....

The music industry has declined over the years based on album sales and downloads, industry artist are taking big hits because of the loss of their music selling, because of downloads and the quality of music. Alot of the reason the music industry has declined is due to the contribution of our economic status as well, people are just not buying anymore and are taking advantage of the "pirate error" meaning the creation of the almighty download and cd burner.

just this year usher has loss approximatley 6000000.00 that's roughly $500,000 x 12.00 a cd(+ or minus a few dollars) - roughly to pirated downloads. Now that's a hell of a loss when considering money spent, time to create the album, engineers for mastering and promotion etc.

earlier on when the music industry was in its prime (as far as assets and monetary collateral) artist such as Michael Jackson, Prince, R Kelly's early years, Mary J. Blidge, Busta rhymes etc during the 90's and so on did not have the challenge of these things because #1 cd burners, you tube, and downloading had not been invented yet (or released whichever came first) #2 the generation respected the artist on a musical level vs a "i want it now level" or "phuck it, i can burn it" idea

lets not forget the pre condition the music industry was in before these devices were into play, major labels were the only way to get music out and the levels of talent was greater more diverse because you were judged based on real talent, delivery and appearence and it was hard to get a deal especially if you could not "cut" it. now adays you download reason and your an "artist or producer" instantly !.

so you think..............

the major labels could afford to give out 1,2,3 million dollar budgets because the artist was so talanted and gifted along with album sales and prior records that signing an artist with a 1 million dollar budget could easily return 15 to 25 million on their investment.

and then theres this..............

The home studio, producer, engineer was not as common as today..
with respect to that note - its still the same as far as engineering and production theory are concerned reletive to the teaching and knowledge realm , but not everyone can be that engineer or producer alot of people "think" they can, production is more than making a beat, you have to be a well trained instructor as well. but since the evolution of Reason, FL, and the software based studio, alot of elementary artist have the notion that "making a beat or "bangor" , is what a producers role is when in fact its totally a sense of falsehood and guitar center is the only one profiting from this. i mean half of these people on here (not saying all !)could not write a song to save their a$$, i am not talking about bullsh! either i am saying either a true hiphop piece or an rnb hit without using profanity in his or her work.

alot of young people want everything to happen for them today, when they are not willing to sacrifice HARD WORK and dedicate themselves to learning proaudio, study and gain knowledge from true experts or goto school.

This and alot of other key interest have "killed the music industy's potential".

I hear and agree with you, but you're talking about the quality of the music, which is not the focus here.

Look at it from the perpective of these 17 yearl olds. Most of them love this new music out right now. They have no problem with the quality.

What do you think they're filling they're ipods with?

The problem is with the way and format the music is sold. THAT'S the REAL reason people are stealing music.

Last edited:
It's the artists responsibility to understand what they are getting into before they sign the contract. No excuse.... No sympathy from this guy.

****... lol....
My bad fam. I like this discussion though.

It the rise of the netlabels..

As more and more people start putting **** out for free this business model becomes more and more unsustainable.. The quality does diminish becuase you have more people putting out material, but with the rise of the DAW its already happened. The difference here is that instead of the label acting as a filter for the **** you have to look online through blogs and other things to seperate the wheat from the chaff.

Music sales are going to continue taking hits, the folks who thrive are going to be the inovative ones who figure out what else they can do (ring tones, touring)..

CD's may have better quality than a mp3 but honestly do you think that the average consumer is going to really care? Its always a matter of convience and an ipod is a hell of lot more convient than a cd player..

I don't think files should ever replace CDs. Like many of said here, album art and the CD art nurtures the audio: For Our Eyes. I guarantee you that the album however will be moving into a solid digital format where mp3 players will have graphic displays of the album covers. Yes, it will be a device like an iPod but rich with video and visual content to complement the music. I think that's where we're heading. Myspace is going to be a mecca for buying mp3s, and this money will go directly to the musicians (and their management), without reliance of an office building in New York with the sign "Record Label" on its door.

Mp3 = convenience. All the industry needs to do is make mp3s readily available for download and buying, because right now, LOTS of people are still scared of signing up for iTunes or Rhapsody. Anything with an application form is scary, and that's something they have to eliminate. Buying songs right off Myspace pages is the future. I promise that.

illapino said:
I don't think files should ever replace CDs. Like many of said here, album art and the CD art nurtures the audio: For Our Eyes. I guarantee you that the album however will be moving into a solid digital format where mp3 players will have graphic displays of the album covers. Yes, it will be a device like an iPod but rich with video and visual content to complement the music. I think that's where we're heading. Myspace is going to be a mecca for buying mp3s, and this money will go directly to the musicians (and their management), without reliance of an office building in New York with the sign "Record Label" on its door.

i say that about cd vs vinyl.. and look at vinyl.. it is can outsell cds on some releases due to the fact that its a special edition better art and released in a limited run..

cds will go this route as well..

Spinner87 said:
I download albums
mostly because i don't wanna stand an hour and a half in the cd store listening to an album and deciding if it's worth buying
i'd rather sit home surf around the net and talk with friends on msn and listening to the album.
i buy albums if it's really good without skipping songs
i don't buy cd's for the record companies but for the artist that i respect for their hard work

well said spinner, i agree.

illapino said:

Mp3 = convenience. All the industry needs to do is make mp3s readily available for download and buying, because right now, LOTS of people are still scared of signing up for iTunes or Rhapsody. Anything with an application form is scary, and that's something they have to eliminate. Buying songs right off Myspace pages is the future. I promise that.

Check the link to the idea I posted above.

People listening to music on ipod headphones don't care about music quality.

point blank the reason why sales are down is because of the econmony and the fact the average albums have 2 to 4 gud songs and the rest is fillers

Back