For all seattle beat makers

joey tunez

Subliminalz Music Team
I don't know if i posted this one on here or not,

but i am throwing a beat battle on june 20th here in seattle.

16 contestants, 4 rounds, $1000 first place cash prize

For interested parties,
send your name (performing name and real name) and no more or no less than two beats (go ahead and leave your tags and all that in if you are afriad of theft)
to subliminalz@gmail.com.
this is important as i use this to see if the skills are up to par to battle.
This isn't really meant to be a big discussion that goes all off topic but any questions go ahead and pm me.

Last edited:
You already got a venue?

Is there an entrance fee? $1000 is alot to come out of pocket. Sponsored maybe?

Peace!

Yessir,

Highdive Lounge - Fremont area (downtown seattle before you get to the U district.

Abseloutly Zero intrest fee.

the $1000 cash prize is straight from my team [Subliminalz Music Team] to the winner. we are currently seeking sponsorship but that looks like it won't happen this year (otherwise the prize would have been even higher).

also worthy of a sidenote: THIS IS NOT EXCLUSIVE TO SEATTLE/TACOMA, if you submit your beats and I select you your more than welcome to come, plane tickets and stuff are your responsibility.
There is a guy from las vegas for example who is flying in on a $200 ticket to swoop that $1000, talk about confidence in your beats!

I hope some of you fp'ers enter.

woah i just realized i made a mistake, i didn't clarify.

there is no entry fee, but no guest list.
producers pay admission like everyone else.
(its like 8 bucks the same as the crowd pays)
but there is no "registration fee or nothing) sorry i didn't clarify, cel just brought it to my attention.

father's day ain't really a good reason...dad's got ALL DAY to spend w/ their families...matter of fact, families should PUSH daddy to go to the battle, compete, and win.

IRONIC...mine as well call the battle WHO'S YOUR DADDY??? (father's day battle...get it?)

lol @ Fyle I get you but to be honest I would much rather spend the day with my kids and enjoy the pleasure of Father's Day than I would going to a beat battle. I was looking forward to the battle until this besides Im having a BBQ that day

I been meaning to network more with fellow fp'er / musicians in general. I might have to drive up from Portland to take part in this....seems like it could be fun.

How's the battle gonna work? Jus show up wit a cd with ur best material?

Last edited:
yesir come on through, send a couple beats to that email so we can consider you (deadline is TOMMOROW though so you gotta be quick) i still have spots open.

as far as how the night goes, yes your are correct. just bring a cd with all your beats on it and it will go right in the cdj.

---------- Post added 06-05-2010 at 12:04 PM ---------- Previous post was 06-04-2010 at 10:09 AM ----------

BAD NEWS:

I recently recieved a message from an important business partner invovled with this years soundwaves beat battle.
sadly they will not be able to participate this year due to cost and a loss in business on they're in.
so this years prize will again be $500 as opposed to the originally announce $1000.

If this affects any of your decisions to continue to participate I more than understand but ask that you please let me know as soon as possible.

I doubt it,

but i wanted to make sure i was on the up and up with everybody just in case it did.

i would wanna be on stage with em after they won like
"oh hey btw your prize is only worth half now" that would be foul. lol.

half a stizzack is still generous!

tell me this though...what do you think are the top 3 main things that prevent producers from entering beat battles?

you would think that there would be more than enough entrants each and every time battles were announced.

honestly, there's probably at least 250 BeetMakerz / Producah'z of different skill levels in King County alone...

1. PRIDE - i had a top notch guy once tell me "hey i am starting to build a name out here, if i go up against some no name and lose, that makes them look great but i look like a fool. nobody remembers goliath for anything but losing to david.

2. FEAR - alot of the younger cats see what goes on at these beat battles (big tune for example) and see people getting blapped out of they're minds and get flat out scared. fearful, i got people asking if they can have someone "easy" or if i'm ever going to throw a "B-team battle" with just rookies (?!?!?). people don't wanna go on stage and get embarassed.

3. POLITICS - as much as you try to weed this out, like an infection it manages to sneak in one way or another. I had a few people say "i would love to battle, but i know i'm gonna lose cause im not a town favorite" thats honestly one of the main reasons there haven't been that many entrants from tacoma despite me campaigning pretty heavy their. this also the reason why i started a NO GUEST LIST policy because people try to bring their entourage in and have a personal cheering section. the fanclub usually doesn't show up if they have to pay.

also keep in mind some people have different reasons all together like scheduling and stuff. but alot of my responses have been one of the three, some more just than others.

1. PRIDE - i had a top notch guy once tell me "hey i am starting to build a name out here, if i go up against some no name and lose, that makes them look great but i look like a fool. nobody remembers goliath for anything but losing to david.

2. FEAR - alot of the younger cats see what goes on at these beat battles (big tune for example) and see people getting blapped out of they're minds and get flat out scared. fearful, i got people asking if they can have someone "easy" or if i'm ever going to throw a "B-team battle" with just rookies (?!?!?). people don't wanna go on stage and get embarassed.

3. POLITICS - as much as you try to weed this out, like an infection it manages to sneak in one way or another. I had a few people say "i would love to battle, but i know i'm gonna lose cause im not a town favorite" thats honestly one of the main reasons there haven't been that many entrants from tacoma despite me campaigning pretty heavy their. this also the reason why i started a NO GUEST LIST policy because people try to bring their entourage in and have a personal cheering section. the fanclub usually doesn't show up if they have to pay.

also keep in mind some people have different reasons all together like scheduling and stuff. but alot of my responses have been one of the three, some more just than others.

FIRST OF ALL, great response!

very thorough.

3. POLITICS - "i would love to battle, but i know i'm gonna lose cause im not a town favorite"

looking back at previous Seattle battles, has an "AWAY TEAM" entrant ever won?

is "favortism" actually an issue? or a non-issue?

thanks,

as far as favortism goes flat out response would be: YES with some qualifying factors.

firstly, ANY event involving voting from humans is subject to corruption (any black people in court know what i mean). leaving it up to a large crowd of mostly drunking people is even worse.

i try to make it a point not to introduce people as "from [enter city here]" to avoid that but we both know some people are more known than others.

as far as what out of towner ever beat everybody.

Marcus D won bigtune last year and he is from auburn, i know that sounds still close to seattle but remember this, he doesn't work with any "circles" well known in seattle. he works mainly with justis and both kinda do their own thing, they lean more towards the 253 than the 206 and he took the whole thing.

as matter of fact, the finalist in last years big tune, were the exact same finalist in last years soundwaves before than. marcus almost won that to.

dave notti also got pretty deep in the game in big tune last year but just sort of ran out of gas at the end.

remember the big commotion about buddy ross a couple years ago?
thats because he had a pretty big first round upset AGAIN DSANE nobody gets more respect (and at times fear lol) from the town than mr.sane but some how the crowd was feeling buddy ross's whole performance that night.

there is a bit of "home cooking" but it can be overcome.

Back