Album Format=DEAD??

one thing we all got going for us....no producer has built a name solely from the web yet...so there is definitely something out there to be done in that vein....but the question becomes....who's gonna be the one that has that idea?

if u doing the same thing eveybody else is doing...i doubt it's gonna be u.....

I seriously don't understand how the little guy has a better chance when he has a smaller marketing machine.

the little guy might have a smaller marketing machine...but you gotta remember that the large marketing machine costs A LOT MORE to run...AND you won't OWN a lot of material you work on...

the "little guy" owns all of his shyt & saves more money in the long-run

(theoretically)

Last edited:
What is your forecast for the future weather on "the field"?

The answer will depend on what your current position is and what your overall objectives are. You have people that have worked inside the music industry for 15 years and never made more than 30k a year but the fact that they get to deal with and hang with music 'stars' and 'important label execs' is enough for them to say they're successful. You have artists that have made millions (cumulative) independently like the Kottonmouth Kings or Insane Clown Posse and they look at themselves as having a successful run while the next person would say Maino was more successful because his song was on the radio and he dropped an album on Atlantic even though his sales were poor. You have some people that would look at a producer that had 6 major placements as successful and look at the other producer that never had a major placement but sells 6 tracks a week to independent artists as a failure even though he's making more money.

What is your gauge? Is it money, fame, respect, notoriety, longevitity, how many no #1 records, album sales, grammy awards, etc...

What is success to YOU?

Last edited:
I think a realistic thinker is neutral. What you see when someone see's a person that's "trying" to be realistic say something negative is that person just trying to bring to light the flipside of the coin the people that are ALL POSITIVE seem to want to ignore. It's like wisdom from your GrandMa "You mess with them little fast azz girls they gon get PREG - A - NENT!"... you can saw "No Grandma she's not fast, she's nice to me" and Grandma says "Yeah, she is! I done tole you" but you go ahead and get with that girl and bam - Triplets. You don't have to listen and there's always the possibility on both sides... somebody just thought about the side you didn't (or didn't want to acknowledge). Some people refer to it as "Going through life with blinders on"...

I seriously don't understand how the little guy has a better chance when he has a smaller marketing machine. Even people that are all over the web and internet beat legends... are not household names. Ask somebody who Timbaland is and then ask them who Boon Doc is... they'll tell you "I love that show".

Your last question is the question that's on the mind of every beatmaker with a dream. I've already posted that I've seen damn near everything tried. I do know that the successes I have seen have come from those people rubbing elbows with people that were already on the inside. How do you get on the inside... don't ask me, lol. ... and once you're on the inside... will you like it. It's like that pretty girl at the club. You take her to breakfast after the club, you hit and everything is good. Then you go to her house and her brother is there on house arrest and her ex boyfriend is visiting her brother and he came by to see his two kids and she sleeps on a mattress in the back room but she found you and you're CAPTAIN SAVE 'EM! you're scared to sit down because you don't want those roaches to crawl into your pockets... it looked good at the club but is it really? Ask Yung Joc.
I agree with alot of this. Some things make got me thinking though.

But was boon doc really grinding that hard. Was he REALLY trying to anything more then post beat videos on the internet. I'm sure he was but he most likely was following the same pattern and doing the same thing that other internet beatmakers are doing.

These dudes who constantly say they gonna blow up are usually doing the exact same thing that hundreds of thousands of people are doing too. Realistic chances are they are not going to make it.

Alot of people who claim to be positive thinkers are doing nothing but tuning out all the bad. This will get them nowhere. This isn't positive thinking. It's being hardheaded and ignorant.

I'll just say it...

There's too much music... it look like the easiest way to not work a real job so everybody wants to do it. Everybody gets a free myspace / facebook / Twitter / Soundclick.

Everybody can make a mixtape / remix tape / CD

Are you special? Tell me how.... (I'm around until 4pm PST)

[QUOTE='[F_or_DEAF];
the "little guy" owns all of his shyt & saves more money in the long-run

(theoretically)[/QUOTE]

that's what we used to say.....so by the time we broke up we had over 100 songs that no one had ever heard before except our homies....

that shyt saty on the shelf for 15 years untill somebody gave us around 7 grand for around 50 songs to do a "re-issue"....

i would have rather took a small percentage from a major back then....it would have given us the exposure we needed....and instead of calling us the wu tang of philly maybe wutang would be the 100X of new york.....

Alot of people who claim to be positive thinkers are doing nothing but tuning out all the bad.

People are saying what I'm trying to say in less words, lol.

:cheers:

People shouldn't throw up their hands and say forget it though... I've outlasted everybody except MANO! Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!!! Hard to kill off Ol Romey Rome! I'm saying that .... it's not going to kill me to keep making music. I don't get discouraged because the music biz is not make or break for me. I hang around to stay abreast of the GOINS ON.... and to keep my beat razor sharp in case I need to use it one day.

Right now... I see this... and my time is valuable.

I THINK I SEE SOME FP PEOPLE IN THERE LOL! Look theres...

placement.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll just say it...

There's too much music... it look like the easiest way to not work a real job so everybody wants to do it. Everybody gets a free myspace / facebook / Twitter / Soundclick.

word...

a whole lot of music...and not enough time to listen to it all...not enough motivation to buy it, and more reasons to just create your own as opposed to consuming somebody else's...

$.02

I'll just say it...

Truth!!!

This is the one thing that gets me every time.

What can somebody do to be different?

It's becoming harder and harder to be noticed.

It's something that even people who aren't serious about being a big time music star can easily access. It's become saturated with everybody that want's to be heard, but most of them wont be. Who really has time to sift through all the garbage to find that diamond in the rough.

The internet has made it easier but also made it harder.

The internet has made it easier but also made it harder.

92.5% of the people on here have never though of that... they only see the easier.

... but I like to bring up the harder if necessary, I don't mind. :)

There is something that can / will be done... you know why... because it has to...

Hopefully, it won't come from some huge corporation... hopefully, it'll come from a regular dude like you and me...

BUT!

I'd put my money on huge corporation.... so sad.

92.5% of the people on here have never though of that... they only see the easier.

... but I like to bring up the harder if necessary, I don't mind. :)

There is something that can / will be done... you know why... because it has to...

Hopefully, it won't come from some huge corporation... hopefully, it'll come from a regular dude like you and me...

BUT!

I'd put my money on huge corporation.... so sad.
awww...don't say that...lol

It's funny you mention this because i've been racking my brain trying to
find out what can be done. Something's gotta change and is going to change.

As much as I love making music, that's not exactly how I want to get into "today's" music industry. I consider myself a businessman before I consider myself a musician even though i'm both. The industry is gonna change, I just gotta find a way into the loop before it does.

ok i gotta question. it may seem off topic but its not. lets say i BUY music is it legal for me to lend out that music to friends for a fee. basically someone paying me to listen to the cd. cause what im gettin at is what if there was like a netflix but music based. no sendin out cds, but more like consumers pay a subscription fee to listen to a catalogue of music i purchased over the years, so no need to pay the royalties to labels cause im streamin music over the net for listening not lettin the music be dl'ed. does it make sense?

awww...don't say that...lol

It's funny you mention this because i've been racking my brain trying to
find out what can be done. Something's gotta change and is going to change.

As much as I love making music, that's not exactly how I want to get into "today's" music industry. I consider myself a businessman before I consider myself a musician even though i'm both. The industry is gonna change, I just gotta find a way into the loop before it does.

There are the CD Babies and Taxi's and all kinds of ish... Imeem's...

So much that its almost overwhelming. Everything an independent person would need is out there... already developed. There's a Pay Pal and Sno Cap for payments. A myspace and Facebook for networking. A twitter to update people when you have new music up. Go Daddy for your personal page.

So you have -

A notification app - Twitter

A networking website with a music player - Myspace, Soundclick, Facebook, Go Daddy

A payment app - Pay Pal / SnoCap

A marketing website - Youtube Channel

What's missing... nothing... there are just too many people in the way doing the same thing, lol.

I guess if you really focused and had them all integrated somehow.... you could do a little something but most people treat them all as stand alones.

One thing I don't get though... is why producers add a bunch of friends that are producers, lol. Shouldn't all of your friends be artists? Do you want your competition right on your page?

you think you are the only one with the songs?

like people can't get the same music for free elsewhere

I think what he's getting at is just a music streaming website, but there are already sites out there geared specifically towards this at no cost. You can pretty much do this on youtube.

I think what he's getting at is just a music streaming website, but there are already sites out there geared specifically towards this at no cost. You can pretty much do this on youtube.

Rhapsody... Napster...

Everything has been done.... got to think harder.

Everybody go to the liquor store... hole yourself up at home this weekend and work it out before Monday.

I'll just say it...

Yes there is, it always existed but we had a music industry that controlled the major distribution pipes to serve as a FILTER. Those outside the system didnt exist and their only alternative was to BUILD THEIR OWN SELF SUSTAINED INDUSTRY! One of the best examples was the early Texas hip hop scene dominated by DJ Screw and the SUC, Rap-A-Lot, Suave House and a few others. They INVESTED and ORGANIZED their own scene to the point you had rappers going Gold in Texas alone and surrounding states. The Bay Area scene was another great example. Eventually these acts would start outselling the major acts in their region which cause the majors to have to move in or else their big investments would take a hit. This all started in NY in the 80's with the independent rap scene and duplicated. So either you got down with the major system or you didnt exist OR you built your 'own industry'.

Now in this Internet Age FILTERS are needed once again because anything that is free and available to anyone not only is not a filter but it helps to devalue the same product your trying to sell. BUILD TIME! U have to know when to plant the seeds....

Rhapsody... Napster...

Everything has been done.... got to think harder.

Everybody go to the liquor store... hole yourself up at home this weekend and work it out before Monday.
lol, im gonna figure out something. I still got a couple more years before I gotta let it all go.

Back