Album Covers?? Camera??

Justin Rockwell

Do ya'll think it would be crazy to take a picture for an album cover on a 7.1 megapixel camera?? I do plan to dump the picture in the computer for effects/lettering etc.

I know nothing about photography specs.......just wondering if 7.1 is good??

I saw a very good picture taken on a cellphone lol, it looked kinda professional lol.

It's not so much about the camera's resolution as it is the lighting, and the editing and processing.

A picture taken at 7.1 MP with the wrong lighting will still look bootleg

j.troup exactly right! Any camera your going to use it comes down tothe Lighting & Editting. And with Photoshop by your side you can make a **** box Kodak, into a ****ing Canon.

Justin RockWell said:
Do ya'll think it would be crazy to take a picture for an album cover on a 7.1 megapixel camera?? I do plan to dump the picture in the computer for effects/lettering etc.

I know nothing about photography specs.......just wondering if 7.1 is good??

I saw a very good picture taken on a cellphone lol, it looked kinda professional lol.

are you talking about a point and shoot or a dslr
its more about control of the camera (beatmaker term tweakamania)lighting and mood .

As long as it's a clear good quality pic and hi res (Size around 1500)
your good because the designer will do their photoshop magic (If your
using a designer and I hope so, so we don't see a bootleg looking
home made amateur cover lol).

it all bout lighting nd and feel plus if ur designer iz gunna hook up a background to ur pic i suggest u dnt take a pic with a lot of shyt behind try to keep it a solid background makes it easier for the designer nd helps to ur advantage

I do it as a hobby but I've been doing it for many years and have done many professional projects. i see a lot of good recommendations here but what's missing is one key point, NO CROPPING! don't cut any part of your body out of the pic unless your positive how the cover will be designed. get standard shoulders up, torso up, full body but make sure our hands are in the pics etc. allot of times people look at pictures and think they are great photo's so they will be great for a design project but don't realize the limitations they put on the designer when they start taking pictures that leaves out hands, torso's legs, feet etc. the designer can crop the picture however need be especially with a camera that's 7.1 MP. now, what's really important also is the lens. if you have 7.1MP but a sh!tty lens it will still look like trash.

everything else mentioned here is real important but i just saw these things left out in the comments.

Image quality is the most important thing with digital cameras and camcorders. HP makes high megapixels cameras that make images look like complete trash. You're looking for a digital camera with good image quality.

If you're looking for high end digital cameras, look at the Nikon D80 or a Canon EOS series.

If you're looking for medium priced cameras, look at the Fuji Finepix 6XX or 7XX series.

If you're looking low priced cameras, look at the Canon SD series or Fuji S series.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get a great pic with a 5 MP camera if you know what you're doing. The whole MP thing has really just become a marketing tool for camera companies to hike prices, there are other camera factors far more important than MP size. The untrained eye can't even tell the damn difference.

make sure you give the designer plenty of pictures to deal with and get a real photographer to take your pics. trust me you dont want your joint to look bootleg. this is something i just did for some one. and i had to find all the images. all the images are from multiple sources.
riot_music_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
DaOriginalBlade said:
You can get a great pic with a 5 MP camera if you know what you're doing. The whole MP thing has really just become a marketing tool for camera companies to hike prices, there are other camera factors far more important than MP size. The untrained eye can't even tell the damn difference.

True, the human eye only sees at 20MP anyways.

Yeah, I took a photography class once, and they said "whether or not you spend $10 on lighting or $1,000, any lighting is better than none. I mean you could take it in your room with a lamp or something pointed on you with all your lights on or something.

Back