50 Cent Sues Car Dealer Over Commercial

B

barrysanders20

PHILADELPHIA - 50 Cent is suing a car dealer over advertisements that he said used his trademarked name without permission.

The rapper — born Curtis James Jackson III — describes himself in the lawsuit as "a hugely popular and extremely successful hip-hop music artist ... known for his good looks, `gangsta' image and hard knocks success story."

The lawsuit, filed in federal court Friday, seeks more than $1 million from Gary Barbera Enterprises, which used the slogan "Just Like 50 Says!" and the 29-year-old artist's picture in a print advertisement for a Dodge Magnum.

Barbera marketing director Eric Gerstein said Tuesday that 50 Cent had recorded a radio station spot promoting the station's giveaway of a Barbera Magnum.

The print ad paraphrased the radio spot, Gerstein said. The dealership explained its position to 50 Cent representatives in May and believed the matter was closed, he said.

The 29-year-old musician, born in New York, now lives in Connecticut.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050823/ap_en_tv/people_50_cent

good looks????? hahahahaha.......gangsta image.....key word IMAGE well then again....he prob is gangsta in connecticut.....now lemme get to my point.....FUKK FITTY

Im tired

yawn.jpg

He trademarked a name which he got off another person. LOL

I'm really starting to get tired of this fifty g-unit crap its worn me out and its worn fifty fans out...

Do these cats sue becuase they can? What harm was done?

I bet if it was a $100,000 Car 50 would be cool with it but its not.
(there 24k Brand new)

man, no Live8 to sueing a car dealer
50 is ate up!

Just my 2 cents
Dreaminginstereo

i think they're nice cars. but 50 cent is a bit full of himself, the only thing i think thats cool that he does is throw everyones beats on a cd and pick them that way.

[color=sky blue]Wow...Sometimes I don't understand this board...Cats get mad when others bite their drums, samples, sounds, rhymes etc...And you get mad cause 50 doesnt want someone to use his likeness to make money off his name without breaking him off some bread or getting his permission...

Its called business, the same way business in which if you sample a beat, and you plan to use it on a cd which will be manufactured and sold, you need permission, sample clearences, you gotta pay to use things that are not yours...Simple fundamentals of business...Now I don't know about the intricacies of this case, but this type of stuff happens all the time to celebrities...James Galdofini of the Sopranoes sued Best Buy for Millions for using his likeness in Adverstisements...Like some of you wouldnt do the same...:rolleyes:

But most of you have your throwaway soundclick beats copyrighted and with vocal tags on them so nobody uses them without your permission. Why do you do this? To protect yourself so somebody doesnt blow up and make it big with your music without giving you the proper credits and financial restitution. U would be pissed if someone made it big while you stayed in the valley of bedroom producers?...

[/color]

Last edited:
WHo in the world got mad about this other then 50????

Valley of bedroom Producers? we gotta start somewhere, so whats your point?
So let me know of a SAFE place I can share my music and not worried about someone jacking it for chopping samples from?

thanks
Dreaminginstereo

Last edited:
barrysanders20 said:
The rapper — born Curtis James Jackson III — describes himself in the lawsuit as "a hugely popular and extremely successful hip-hop music artist ... known for his good looks, `gangsta' image and hard knocks success story."

LMAO

DreaminginStereo said:
WHo in the world got mad about this other then 50????

Valley of bedroom Producers? we gotta start somewhere, so whats your point?
So let me know of a SAFE place I can share my music and not worried about someone jacking it for chopping samples from?

thanks
Dreaminginstereo

[color=sky blue]

A. Either you got in your fag body and caught feelings

B. You didnt read my post accurately

C. You lack the mental capacity to get what I was saying...

or

D. All of the above...

Because the post wasnt to demean anyone, especially my fellow futureproducers, it was to show you, that most would do the same thing, and we all have done the same thing, so why get at 50 like he's being an idiot...Thats why I gave several examples...

And...If you read my post, I cited an example of another celebrity doing the same thing...But then again, you are probably option D.[/color]

Last edited:
George Foreman got paid for being around that grill. I bet they couldn't have put George's Name on it without coughing up some loot.

They could've had him do the commercial but they wouldn't have sold as many.

50 is right.

^^ Yea he's right...if not he would have ended up like John Madden...Madden hasn't gotten paid since '00 for the Madden football game series. These peoples names are brands.

Back