50 Cent Sued for copyright infringement

davmarti

MIAMI
Rapper 50 Cent stole some of the lyrics for his 2003 hit "In Da Club" from a song by former 2 Live Crew frontman Luther Campbell, an attorney claims in a lawsuit.

Richard C. Wolfe filed the copyright infringement lawsuit against Curtis James Jackson, aka 50 Cent, in Miami federal court last week on behalf of Lil' Joe Wein Music.

Parts of "In Da Club," from the album "Get Rich or Die Tryin'", copy "It's Your Birthday," released in 1994 on Campbell's solo album "Still a Freak for Life," the lawsuit alleged.

I would be funny if he lost everything in litigation.

A message left Friday for Wolfe was not immediately returned.

Lil' Joe Wein Music holds the copyright to "It's Your Birthday" and other songs Campbell produced with his rap group 2 Live Crew and as a solo artist. Lil' Joe Wein Music is owned by Joseph Weinberger, an attorney who formerly represented Campbell.

Campbell's song "I Like It, I love It" can also be heard on the 2003 DVD "50 Cent The New Breed," the lawsuit claims.

The lawsuit seeks unspecified damages in addition to attorneys' fees and other legal costs.

Wolfe won a $2.3 million judgment against Campbell in 1994 for another rapper who claimed Campbell withheld royalties.

A message left Friday for Dennis Dennehy, 50 Cent's publicist, was not immediately returned.

It would be funny if he lost everything in litigation

Last edited:
bunch of damn haters.

Message to Luke: YOU CAN'T SUE CUZ 50CENT SAID IT'S YA BIRTHDAY!!!!!

Especially after all of your NUMEROUS copyright infringements...

Doo-Wah-Diddy
My 7 Bizzos
Get Loose Now
Coolin'
Get The F*ck Out My House
Face Down, Ass Up
Mamolapenga

And the list goes on.

Luke...love your music but this lawsuit is crazy.

j.troup said:
bunch of damn haters.

Message to Luke: YOU CAN'T SUE CUZ 50CENT SAID IT'S YA BIRTHDAY!!!!!

Especially after all of your NUMEROUS copyright infringements...

Doo-Wah-Diddy
My 7 Bizzos
Get Loose Now
Coolin'
Get The F*ck Out My House
Face Down, Ass Up
Mamolapenga

And the list goes on.

Luke...love your music but this lawsuit is crazy.

cosign

I can't tell you how disgusted I am with this lawsuit. It is based on the lines "Go Shorty, its your birthday"

Lukes version says "Go Sheila, go (insert a bunch of other names), its your birthday"

That simple line is what all this bullsh*t is stemming from. I guess no one can use peel your caps back, or throw your hands in the air...God da*n lawyers are ruining this country. Fuc*ng ambulence chaser

okay...i aint' think my boy Luke was THAT pressed for money....

Luke Detaches Himself From 50 Cent Lawsuit, Calls Lawyers 'Crooks'
By Nolan Strong
Date: 1/20/2006 4:30 pm

Rapper/mogul Luther Campbell has come forward to comment on a recent copyright infringement lawsuit filed against 50 Cent, over his hit single "In Da Club," taken from 50 Cent's hit album

Attorney Joseph Weinberger, owner of Lil' Joe Records, recently filed the lawsuit in Miami federal court.

Weinberger owns the rights to recordings by 2 Live Crew and Campbell.

Campbell was quick to detach himself from the lawsuit, which claims 50 Cent stole lines from Campbell's 1994 song "It's Your Birthday," from the Miami pioneer's solo album, Still a Freak for Life.

"Let the record reflect that Joe Weinberger and Richard Wolfe are the individuals who are suing 50," Campbell told AllHipHop.com. "They are not suing on behalf of me or any member of the 2 Live Crew.

"These guys (Joe and Richard) that's all they do is go around suing people and use our names. When they do sue people and make money on that catalogue, neither me nor any of the 2 Live Crew members receive any money from that."

Weinberger once represented Campbell and became owner of the copyrights when Campbell filed for bankruptcy protection.

"They stole that catalogue from the members and me and we don't make money from it," Campbell said. "When you read my book, 'My Life and Freaky Times,' you'll get the full entire story surrounding these two crooks and that catalogue."

Neither Wolfe nor Weinberger were available for comments as of press time.

from reading the article i think luke himself isnt suing, its the Jewish guy that OWNS his material that is.

TechnikaL said:
my question is, why is this lawsuit coming out almost 4 years after that song even came out??? :confused:

Chances are, most white lawyers don't pay much attention to hip hop.

TechnikaL said:
my question is, why is this lawsuit coming out almost 4 years after that song even came out??? :confused:

They were waiting for 50 to amass more income, so they could sue for more money.

lmao rappers suing rappers for copyright infrigement is like michael jordan suing Lebron for bein too damn good

Xabiton said:
lmao rappers suing rappers for copyright infrigement is like michael jordan suing Lebron for bein too damn good
Luke is not suing 50. It's the people who own the catalog to Luke's music.

Back