Thread: When people take music way too seriously

Thanks

When people take music way too seriously

Sign in to disable this ad
    This is something I've noticed with a lot of musician friends and people on this forum. I think something we all need to remind ourselves is at the end of the day all we do is entertain, if we entertain an audience our job is done.

You should be able to laugh at yourself and your work sometimes. It has taken myself a while to fully internalize this and i think it's the only way you'll stay sane.

This is just a simple thought i wanted to share.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmitri Shostakovich
    A creative artist works on his next composition because he was not satisfied with his previous one.

Thanks
    While there is nothing wrong with entertaining and/or being an entertainer the underlying issue is there are people who, when the word entertain is mentioned, immediately think that music that is entertaining and people who solely wish to do so is devoid of intellect, or, in Hip Hop's case, unconscious. Art and entertainment doesn't and shouldn't have to always be serious, nor does it have to be propaganda. I don't mind being entertained but I'm a selective consumer.
    Last edited by OGBama; 04-21-2017 at 11:17 AM.
    "Once black music leaves its original context, it begins to take on different meanings and serve different functions, and it is interpreted very differently." Portia Maultsby

Thanks
    Music is pretty fun. A few fellas did have a good laugh, when I compared audio production to video games.

Thanks
    That's because they're left-brained and the pursuits of the right-brained are mysteries to them.
    Gregg Juke
    Nocturnal Productions
    The Sonic Vault Recording Studio
    Drum! Magazine Contributor

Thanks
    On a related note, I find a lot of music very funny.

It's good to try and have a touch of humor in your own music, and to know when to laugh at other people's

Thanks
    I just watched The Room last night and the crucial point to me was when Wiseau (I think that's the name) had to make the decision as to how to react to his extremely serious project being laughed at. Damn that's such a difficult position to be in, no matter the choice, my heart goes out to all who take a chance and put themselves out there for scrutiny. It's like getting to the top of the mountain just to see you're only in the foothills.
    Last edited by DataDay; 05-19-2018 at 11:39 AM. Reason: misspell

Thread Information