Is a relationship worth more to you than doing music and making it?

You know you'd hate yourself if you gave up on your dream, and your dream makes drives you, as artists and as men we are healthier when we pursue and complete whatever it might be. In our case a great mix, or remix, or doing a show where you know you didn't half step. The right partner must have realistic expectations of us.

I've been manically depressed over a girl before. We were together for over three years. I felt like I would never find anyone like her, that I was incapable of being loved by anything else, yadda yadda. It's not enough in words to depict my state of desperation and anxiety. Not to mention how much I let myself go in those three years (yeah, I let myself go in highschool.)

long story short, I'm more into the fwb thing nowadays, but because I've opened myself up to a casual love-life, there's so much less stress and petty arguments. You're not actually friends with your girlfriend if you feel insecure around or without her or vice versa. You're depending on someone else, which may seem romantic, but ultimately it leads to two dependant people depending on eachother and not capable of depending on themselves, which creates over-dependence. Attachment. Addiction. Also let me remind everybody that love and companionship existed before romance; romance is a medieval plotline, not the ultimate aspiration of human life.

now get the **** back into music, soldier. full force

Your words, and advice are timely. Ponder them I will. (sorry for yoda speak), woman love that romance plotline to death.

You are not going to become a successful musician.

Go to a real university and get a degree in a technical field. You need to do something useful with your life instead of making music. You need a real skill set. Stop worrying about a music career and get focused!

As far as the girl, forget her. She already has kids. She is a liability. Does she even have a job? How is she taking care of her children?

Dudes be effing up out here. SMH.

Choose the girl man.... I would smash every piece of equipment I own and become an accountant if it meant the difference between Syd and I (my gf)

pursue the music until you made it, then you can move in a big house with her, i say put the career first and get the chick later, you will need her because she loved you before you we're famous, so you can only trust her

man a relationship ain't shit, women come and go and it's ex-girl to next girl. i would never dream of giving up music for a girl, i'd probably end up strung out on heroin or something from the stress of a relationship minus my main outlet. at this point for me it's one night stands almost exclusively, a relationship takes time and energy which i don't have extra of, i'm having to much fun/am too busy right now.

I'm probably late, but I'd follow the music.If she really loved you, she'd understand that and maybe pack to leave with you too.

This is my hierarchy chart, and I suggest you make one too:

God's Decisions > My Decisions/Passions > Spouse (Wife, Not Girlfriend)/Family > Business > Friends > Everyone Else

If I had a girlfriend it would go more like:

God's Decisions > My Decisions/Passions > Family > Business > Girlfriend > Friends > Everyone Else

As sad as it sounds because women come and go and who knows if she's the right one? She may have screwed up your dream, then leave you, then what are you left with? NOTHING.

Talk to her about your thoughts and work things out. Seeing that you "love" her, do not stop talking to her until you come out with a solution.

Last edited:
Go for the Girl. If you truly love her and I mean truly love her stay. A hot beat ain't about to keep your bed warm at night. Talking to people who pretend they're interested in your music don't beat being with someone who cares about you. Hanging with your production team don't beat hanging with your family. True Grown man stuff right there. Step up and take care of yours

i think i'll eventually find this one out. i will say though, making rap music never had me in a depressed state punching a hole in the wall wanting to kill someone.

Where's the OP? Wonder what he ended up doing. I see he's posted recently, so hopefully, he broke up.

You can't give up your dream. You won't be happy. You might think a person means everything, but it'll wear off. You'll take some job that you hate or that leaves you unsatisfied and you'll kill your dream of being a career musician and you'll die inside. If you're really passionate about something, you can live without anyone else, but you can't live without that dream. It might be tough to be alone or without someone while you pursue your dreams, but you'll be better off than sitting at home thinking of what you could have done with your life. And eventually, you'll probably settle down with someone and be able to look back and be happy at your decision to pursue your dreams. I don't think anyone would regret that.

Edit: I should say it really depends on how much you love making music. For some people, it just wouldn't be worth it. I shouldn't project my values onto others, but if you're seriously into music, choosing a girl over music will leave you less happy and unfulfilled than you think.

Last edited:
I avoid relationships at all costs

bmzBf.png

Edit: I should say it really depends on how much you love making music. For some people, it just wouldn't be worth it. I shouldn't project my values onto others, but if you're seriously into music, choosing a girl over music will leave you less happy and unfulfilled than you think.

Choosing a girl over music is stupid. Choosing Music over your wife is even stupider. Especially on a chance/whim. Especially when there is a kid involved in the picture.

I avoid relationships at all costs

bmzBf.png

Well that's the point, the girl you're talking to is what we refer to as a "jumpoff". Lol. One day you'll meet the one you can't brush off that easy, not because she's the stalker type, no, because you actually like being around....her for more than the time it takes to get one off. Until that day, I respect the playa, lol, but that day is gonna come and change your life. It would be sad being 30 having these kinds of texts to post about a chick, at 30, it won't make you look good, it will make you look like you f**k with tryfling people who don't respect themselves, lol.

Don't take anything i said as a diss in any way, just speaking that shyt us old guys up here tend to do from time to time. :cheers:

Back