People telling you how to make beat

I feel like you have to follow 90% of the way out the gate, then if you make it that % shifts your way.

Exactly. Nobody wants to hear innovative music unless they already know you.

Look at Kanye. His music was typically 90's when he started out. It wasn't until he was famous that he started experimenting 808's, Twisted Fantasy, Graduation

I keep an open mind with my music. Willing to take advice and such, but if someone says "this is how your music needs to sound" I tell them to go **** themselves. I don't write music for anyone but myself though, so I'm not really stuck with the same standards that people who are producing tracks for other people are. But the same notion applies really, if you're sitting over my shoulder and telling me every little thing that's wrong with my song, I'm probably going to point out every little thing that's wrong with your personality as well, unless you've done something to earn my respect.

Exactly what I'm trying to say

I'm always interested in the audience feedback, at the same time, when the music discovers itself you have to make sure there are no interruptions.

Make sure to keep practicing your beat making skills because overtime, you will be making some super hot beats that can be sold to artists in the music industry. Now it's time for you to go and find the software to make beats!

**** what people think. Make what YOU think sounds good. You want fans who like you for your talent, not your ability to fit their ideals. But sadly, that's what people are used to now and it's expected. but still, **** em.

*Edit:
That doesn't mean ignore feedback and criticism, it's up to you to choose which suggestion will make you and your music better.

Last edited:
People shouldn't close their ears (and their minds) to what others have to say about their music if they are trying to create music that is marketable. On the other hand music is art and who's to say what does and what doesn't sound good.

I have a friend who doesn't know anything about music productions, hell I don't even think he's knowledgeable in the music industry yet he TRIES to direct me on how my music should sound like. I'm like yo, shut the **** up, I'm not making music to please your uneducated ears. Anyone been in the similar situation before?

this. not everyone who listens to your beats is going to be a music expert. what fun would that be?

I think you always should consider the feedback you get. But of course in the end you should make music how you enjoy it.

dude that doesn't even piss me off as much as chump MC's telling you about how they're gonna be the hottest shit in the game rappin' about bangin' models and drivin benzes ...then they leave the studio and get on the bus.

dude that doesn't even piss me off as much as chump MC's telling you about how they're gonna be the hottest shit in the game rappin' about bangin' models and drivin benzes ...then they leave the studio and get on the bus.

hahahah, I know what are You talkin about. You know whats the worst thing? In my city, such a chump mc , got one of the biggest fanbases [*]

@topic
gettin feedback is good, but alot of people just dont know how to give it. They just critisize. Sad but true.

this is also get's to me esp when they think they're the shit just cuz of the amount of followers they have on twitter lmao

Constructive feedback = okay
But don't let him "drive" you the the way he likes that you don't like.
Just say thanks for his feedback and say what you need to say without any confrontation.
Making friends are not easy as making enemies :)

If your friends don't Rap or Produce themselves , then they need to shut up , your handling business for yourself , they want something that they want to hear , but they don't speak for the mass of artists who hear your tracks everyday -AMP

Improve urself,take any advices...at the end of the day,if u havnt satisfied ur friend,how will u satisfy an A&r?

Improve urself,take any advices...at the end of the day,if u havnt satisfied ur friend,how will u satisfy an A&r?
So tell me this. You sit down in front of your computer/drum machine/workstation with your friend, he tells you how to setup your drumlines, how the bass should sound like, how the melodies should be played, how to edit and master your work, and you're ok with that? So you satisfied your friend, but does the feeling of being told on how to lay out your creative doing satisfy you?

My point is, people like that are a distraction and are not helping with my focus. To each is own, but I believe that atmosphere and moods can play a huge factor on creating unique sounds. Producers are not puppets.

So tell me this. You sit down in front of your computer/drum machine/workstation with your friend, he tells you how to setup your drumlines, how the bass should sound like, how the melodies should be played, how to edit and master your work, and you're ok with that? So you satisfied your friend, but does the feeling of being told on how to lay out your creative doing satisfy you?

My point is, people like that are a distraction and are not helping with my focus. To each is own, but I believe that atmosphere and moods can play a huge factor on creating unique sounds. Producers are not puppets.

Well it's about moderation. You should definitely take criticisms from others. Hell, the best advice I EVER got on my music was from an FP member that most people would consider 'hating' (and it definitely was, dude was just angry and shit) but the criticisms were still valid - I see that now.

BUT, on the other hand, somebody trying to run your entire operation is stupid.

At the end of the day it comes down to who's time your on!

If your not being paid for your time then do what you want to do, feel free to tell your friend to **** off. Unless he wants to book a slot and pay for you to engineer his creative direction tell that man to be quiet!

However, most producers will find themselves in the situation where you have an annoying client, trying to offer creative direction with no background knowledge or expertise, but hey, that's the reason they are paying you right??? It will drive you up the wall beacause there is no pleasing some clients. You'll find some have an idea in there head but do not have enough knwoledge to be able to translate that idea into something you can recreate. It's the same as baby being hungry, it can't tell you it's hungry so it does what it can which is scream and fuss until you feed it. Clients will not scream (hopefully) but will annoy the hell out of you trying to explain what it is they are hearing in there head. In that scenario you need to be able to put all your personal opinions and creativity on the back burner.

have to keep in mind that if u are making music for urself or the masses if the masses a comment like that maybe u should take into consideration ...does he like good music??? if so maybe his advice wasnt bad.....,imo

Back