music or college dilemma

Damn lateef7842... It seems like your post brought out the life in me. I cant, just cant manage to do any more time in education, like some other people posted saying I should do a degree when I finish college and get a job related to that degree,I cant do that, I dont feel like it. it seems like im missing out on something real big right now, all because I have that feeling that if I left college now, things would go downhill for me. Yeah, I'm still young, people might say im making rash decisions or whatever, but I feel like if I dont do what I wanna do, theres something inside me telling me something is wrong.

I can tell you right now I am hungry to make music, I wrote ONE verse last week, but in my eyes, it was a verse worthwhile. When I finished that verse, it was like one of the best feelings I ever had, it really was.
I decided last week what I'm doing 100%. I finish college in 9 months, last year flew by, so I AM going to finish it. Not because of no shitty fall back plan, but because the subjects I do (business) , actually will benefit my future music career, whether i make it or not, it improves my understanding of the music business, after all, selling a product is the same as selling music pretty much. December is a special month to me, the month of my birthday, and the month that seems to bring change in me, by the end of December, I swear to myself to create a masterpiece of a song, something that others will relate to, something that people will hear and will say 'this really your first song!?' After I finish college, Im going to get a job, and do music as well. I'm planning to move to the States for a few months to take my career to the next level. I guess its kinda early to be thinking of that.

But for now, Im done with lurking around on FP... whenever I have spare time, I am going to be doing something productive, like making music/ writing lyrics. This thread is possibly something that will shape the future ahead of me. Thank you all for your opinions and input... See you in December.

Last edited:
As a musician who's bought a home and a few cars off money I made doing music...the only regret I have is nevewr finishing high school. Because at this point, I do music regardless of the climate not because I love it, but because i have nothing else to fall back on.

I got kicked out of high school a few years short of a diploma. If I had the choice to attend a last year, I definitely would have taken it. And don't fall for the B.S. you got all the time in the world to do music. You only have the year you have left right now for the educational experiences you have now.

It's like putting music ahead of visiting a terminally ill relative, lol.

Damn lateef7842... It seems like your post brought out the life in me. I cant, just cant manage to do any more time in education, like some other people posted saying I should do a degree when I finish college and get a job related to that degree,I cant do that, I dont feel like it. it seems like im missing out on something real big right now, all because I have that feeling that if I left college now, things would go downhill for me. Yeah, I'm still young, people might say im making rash decisions or whatever, but I feel like if I dont do what I wanna do, theres something inside me telling me something is wrong.

I can tell you right now I am hungry to make music, I wrote ONE verse last week, but in my eyes, it was a verse worthwhile. When I finished that verse, it was like one of the best feelings I ever had, it really was.
I decided last week what I'm doing 100%. I finish college in 9 months, last year flew by, so I AM going to finish it. Not because of no shitty fall back plan, but because the subjects I do (business) , actually will benefit my future music career, whether i make it or not, it improves my understanding of the music business, after all, selling a product is the same as selling music pretty much. December is a special month to me, the month of my birthday, and the month that seems to bring change in me, by the end of December, I swear to myself to create a masterpiece of a song, something that others will relate to, something that people will hear and will say 'this really your first song!?' After I finish college, Im going to get a job, and do music as well. I'm planning to move to the States for a few months to take my career to the next level. I guess its kinda early to be thinking of that.

But for now, Im done with lurking around on FP... whenever I have spare time, I am going to be doing something productive, like making music/ writing lyrics. This thread is possibly something that will shape the future ahead of me. Thank you all for your opinions and input... See you in December.

9 months? Yeah, make like Mortal Kombat and, "Finish Him!" But, after that follow your heart. **** err thing else. And, do get side tracked with *******, babies, or drugs. You'll do fine.

You should finish your school as far as my opinion is concerned. Passion is one thing and responsibility is one thing. Your parents have expectations from you so you should be able to compete with that..music is other thing..and who says you can't work on both of them side by side.?

Finish school plain and simple. At least if you finish high school you have the option of going to University. It's stupid to drop out of highschool with a year left. Only way I'd say drop out is if like someone else said you have something immediate on the table. i.e. someone's offering you a deal or a spot on a major tour. Ask yourself this. How far are you in your career? Do you have a sizeable following? Are you doing shows? How much money in the last year have you made off of music? If the answer to all those is negative then finish high school. Don't join the millions just sitting behind a screen saying" I know this is gonna pay off"

As a musician who's bought a home and a few cars off money I made doing music...the only regret I have is nevewr finishing high school. Because at this point, I do music regardless of the climate not because I love it, but because i have nothing else to fall back on.

I got kicked out of high school a few years short of a diploma. If I had the choice to attend a last year, I definitely would have taken it. And don't fall for the B.S. you got all the time in the world to do music. You only have the year you have left right now for the educational experiences you have now.

It's like putting music ahead of visiting a terminally ill relative, lol.

Dropping out of high school and delaying college are two totally different things.

Besides, what's stopping you from going back to school? You could at least get your G.E.D. and go on from there if you chose. Going to school now is easier than ever.

^^^As repeated like 20 times in this thread when dude is saying college, he's referring to what we here in america call HIGH SCHOOL.

And I CANNOT go back to high school unless it's for a football game, lol. I was referring to the missed experiences that you cannot get back. I got my G.E.D. 2 days after being kicked out of HS. Irony is, I was touring with artists under Loud Records BEFORE finishing HS and still think finishing would have been the better option.

I just explained to an entire forum how royalties from album sales are distributed in another thread and realized how oblivious alot of guys in here are to what it means to really have a career in music. I'd think alot more of us should've took the educational route who are pretending following your dreams doesn't involve being responsible enough to work out all the details to correctly follow them.

Just sitting in your moms house making beats all day for the next year you could be finishing HS while making just as many moves in your spare time sounds like the dumbest thing anyone could do. What happens when mom says "go get a job" cause she tired of seeing your stupid dropout face. now you're working a B.S. 9-5 the same time you coulda been at school furthering your education.

Last edited:
^^^As repeated like 20 times in this thread when dude is saying college, he's referring to what we here in america call HIGH SCHOOL.

And I CANNOT go back to high school unless it's for a football game, lol. I was referring to the missed experiences that you cannot get back. I got my G.E.D. 2 days after being kicked out of HS. Irony is, I was touring with artists under Loud Records BEFORE finishing HS and still think finishing would have been the better option.

I just explained to an entire forum how royalties from album sales are distributed in another thread and realized how oblivious alot of guys in here are to what it means to really have a career in music. I'd think alot more of us should've took the educational route who are pretending following your dreams doesn't involve being responsible enough to work out all the details to correctly follow them.

Just sitting in your moms house making beats all day for the next year you could be finishing HS while making just as many moves in your spare time sounds like the dumbest thing anyone could do. What happens when mom says "go get a job" cause she tired of seeing your stupid dropout face. now you're working a B.S. 9-5 the same time you coulda been at school furthering your education.

I never said he should not finish high school. He should finish high school. No doubt about that. I read college, so I thought college in the Amercian sense of the word. My advice still stands. He can go and get his B.A., Masters or Doctorate in what ever he likes after he's put in 5 years of putting music first.

Never said he should sponge off of moms. You missed my point. Every man (or woman) must work to support themselves if able. You get a BS job that will enable you to work on your music. Waiting tables, doing deliveries, whatever ... If your parents will let you live with them and you pay them some rent, cool. If not, get some roommates and get a cheap apartment. You still have to pay your way. It's the same thing you have to do in college. Except, when you're in college, most of your free time is taken up with home work and studying. You don't have the time needed to perfect your craft or to even see what you can really accomplish. Not to mention, he doesn't have to just limit himself to making beats or Hip-hop in general. There is a whole world of musical possibilities out there.

All he has to do is not make any babies, not get hooked on drugs, don't run up a lot of debt, work hard and be honest with himself about his capabilities and talent ( don't tell yourself you're good when, in reality, you suck ). If he does that for five years he will know if this music thing is going be what he wants it to be for him. Basically, the same skills and methods you'd use to be successful in college you'd apply to creating a successful music career. And, if he's done those things he can easily go to school and still be young enough to enjoy all it has to offer.

BTW, he's still going to have to do an internship after college to even get considered for an entry level position in most jobs. If you think he's going to be able to get a degree, then take time off from school to pursue music, then get a internship (against people fresh out of college, I might add) you've got another thought coming.

As far as you're concerned, it's great you got your GED. If you're no longer interested in music or you just want to make a change in your life, what's stopping you? You could go back to school and get a degree in something else you'd like. Plus, some schools may give you college credit for your work experience.

In the end nothing is stopping any of us from doing what we want in our lives but us.

My best friend and I are on the other side of the coin. We both said we'd get some education first. Make music on the side. Get good jobs and be able to spend money on music the right way. None of that starving artists B.S. for us.

He can play any instrument he puts his hands on and he can write music very well. He put college first. Now, he has a wife, kids, mortgage, car note, job that stresses the 'ish out of him on the daily, but he has to keep it cause the economy is sh!t and the chances of him finding something else that pays him what he needs to make ends meet is next to impossible. Know how much time he gets to spend on making music? If he's lucky 10 hours a month. He hates it. He loves his family and will not cheat or leave. But, if he could do it all over again, he would have chosen differently. His words, not mine.

Me? I had my own expediting company. Small, but I was making a good bit of money. And, I've always been good with saving what I make. Bank account was nice. Bought the house I grew up in. Had a couple of chicks I was smashing. Things were good. Economy changed, customers dried up. After the savings ran out I lost the house and I have to start over.

Contrast that with my friends who stayed with their creative endeavors. Most of them are still making money. Granted, they are very good at what they do and not all of them are in music. Some are behind the scenes people. One is a magician. One tours as a Temptation as well as other music themed jobs. Hell, he put his daughter through school.

Remember, you don't have to get rich in music. Plenty of people have good working and middle class lives in the industry. People think because your not a household name, you living in your Parent's basement. Not true.

I'm not trying to down anybody. I'm just saying he's young enough to do his music thing first. If it doesn't work out, school ain't going anywhere. Doing it the other way around is a loser's bet. I should know. I played it safe and lost.

Of course, if he's just getting into music for the glory rather than the art, then it doesn't matter anyway.

^^^Dude, i've done music "professionally" since 2003. That means I haven't existed in a work environment since then. Who's gonna hire me to do anything but music(which I have no problem getting jobs doing). Anyone who can't understand that dilemma commenting in this thread is telling this guy to do something you couldn't achieve.

That's like telling anyone who's gone to college and got a job in the field they studied to just drop everything they know midlife with kids and a wife counting on them to switch dreams. Lol, I'm aware of my college options, actually been. No plan to go back because that's what everyone does these days, and get this, no loans, I paid for mine cash!!! I'm aiight. I could go be a social worker if anyone would hire a guy who hasn't "had a job" his entire adulthood(on paper).

I honestly make more doing what I do. Plan was to one day be a psychiatrist, and trust me, I know I still can. Don't need you to tell me. Sometimes you should step back and realize everyone isn't searching for empty advice.

I just want 401k, lol. One day dude posting who isn't thinking about stuff like that now may. :cheers:

Last edited:
I think that you should quit music and you should quit school.

I do not see the point at working hard at anything. Learn how to enjoy what you have, even if you have nothing. You really do not need to be successful or happy. Just be you.

Man I'm feeling to unsure on what I wanna do lately. I've done 1 year, with 1 year left at college (highschool in uk) and feel like im wasting my time. I wanna write music too, but I keep telling myself I should finish to stay on the safe side. But then, if you're playing on the safe side, it doesn't seem worth it? You have to take risks dont you? If I left college, I won't have the qualifications to get in to university, which is what you need to get a decent job, and then my family is going to look at me in shame. Then it will be either do or die in music. What do you guys think?
Safe is limiting yourself. I would finish out your current degree, and then pursue the music. Can't hurt to be educated in multiple areas.

@2infamouz: he is finishing the British equivalent of High school not American college/university

Back