How long will the CD/DVD format stay around?

Da Youngsta

I run a CD/DVD duplication & print business and its been doing well for quite some time. If you need duplication or print visit the site: CD Duplication | DVD Duplication | CD Packages.

I would like for my business to stay relevant among musicians & companies that need duplication. A question that I have been thinking about for the long run is: How long will the CD/DVD format last?

With everything going digital in 2012, physical things still remain. Books, magazines, flyers, newpapers, etc. Schools could put 30+ ipads or computers in all classrooms and bypass physical books but that would be TOO expensive. Is downloading video games better than buying the actual copy? Cars are still being made with CD/DVD players. Can unknown artists benefit from having their music 100% digital?

I love my business and want it to last for a long time but thinking realistically, how long will the format last?

Discuss.

Just because of car alone the CD format has another 10-20 years. Because unless you have a car made in the last 5 years or so there is no aux out to plug your Ipod, MP3, Phone, etc into. People still rely on cd's in there cars for listening to music. Although I am aware of some of the other work arounds to make it so you can play your mp3's in a car. I still see a lot of people using CD's for that.

Cd's are also pretty good for indie and upcoming artist to get their music out to people at live events. Because when you think about it telling people they have to go online to hear more music from you instead of you just giving them a cd with it on it seems so pointless.

Until there is a format standard among portable devices...which is nowhere near happening.

Or until there is a technological leap in audio production that makes it necessary to go to another medium.

For instance, it became necessary to go to DVD when video resolutions were upgraded. It became necessary to go to HD-DVD when resolutions went up again.

If music starts being mixed in 5.1 as a standard, that'll make it necessary to find a bigger medium. Or when some type of processing comes out that increases the fidelity of the music, it'll become necessary to change the medium.

But until then? Nope.

In my opinion, it won't last that much longer. Blu Ray is quickly overtaking DVD and everyone has an ipod. You should definately do buisness involving blu rays though.

I think 10 years maximum. Vehicles will probably be the biggest "lagger" in the game. Hard drives are becoming infinitely smaller. Vehicles will likely have hard drives installed, with wifi connection (in the car) so that you can download whatever music you want and have it accessed in your vehicle. You will also be likely to sync with your other devices, so you can carry your playlists anywhere from home, to portable, vehicle, etc. The concept of carrying around a cd/dvd, which is quite small in its storage capacity (650 megs to 4 gigs), but quite large in its physical capacity is archaic and will go the way of vinyl.

"Cd's are also pretty good for indie and upcoming artist to get their music out to people at live events. Because when you think about it telling people they have to go online to hear more music from you instead of you just giving them a cd with it on it seems so pointless."

Although this point is true, consumers won't hang on to a market because of indie and upcoming artists.

I don't have an iPod, so be careful with what you claim to be a universal truism, it will haunt you when you get it wrong....

There was a poll conducted by telephone in the mid 20th century about how individual voters were planning to vote on the upcoming presidential election in the USA. The poll predicted a landslide for the republican candidate. In fact the election was a landslide the other way. Why? The company conducting the poll made the assumption that voters of all persuasions were equally likely to own a telephone. The truth at the time was that it was a high end luxury item and was more likely to be owned by those who had republican leanings anyway. Moral, don't assume that the market place reflects your vision of it; do your research before making outrageous claims like everyone owns an "iPod" or a mobile/cell phone or a tablet.....

As for CD/DVD/Blu-Ray, the format will exist forever; a physical implementation may still be in use in 50 years time, but as a curiosity rather than as a useful tool/format.

Computers in classrooms are currently getting that edge in high schools in NSW. This year for the first time, all students from year 9 to year 12 have a school issued laptop computer which they keep when they finish school.

In the immediate future you have no worries but for the long term outlook its mostly speculative because the emerging technology is moving too fast to put any definitive timeline on it. Ten years from now we could be knee-deep in some RFID chip in ya brain shit that can completely change the whole landscape just like if it was 1995 and you asked that question how many people saw Napster coming to shore in a few years after that?

I think that CD's will be with for many years. MP3 is low quality(shitty bas for example).
It's all about technology, when phones or iPods with 500GB/1TB storage and high speed internet let's say 100Mbps became standart in the world people could tell:
"I don't need to go to the store, i can simply buy music in high quality *.wav format".
The major problem with CD is that you buy one you don't get digital copy (MP3/WaV).
People in XXI listen to music mainly on their portable players or phones.
I listen music all day from 8 AM when i go to school,school break until i get back to my home at 14PM. After all day i don't have time for music.

Back