Well-produced music to learn from...

P

Potentio

This is my first post here...

So, hi everyone! :-]

I was listening to Blur's Think Tank last night and I think I learned some tricks just by listening to it from a production perspective. Another one is The Notwist's Neon Golden.

I know about OK Computer, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Closer, and other godly ones....

My question is... anyone know of any other very well-produced rock albums to learn from that haven't gotten the same praise as the legends?

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to FP!

One band that comes to mind is Tool. That's all I can think of right now.

Welcome To FutureProducers.com:cheers:

i think Disturbed - the sickness cd is very well produced also alot of system of the down cds are also in my opinion.

Shovel said:
Welcome to FP!

One band that comes to mind is Tool. That's all I can think of right now.

The last two tool albums are perhaps the best produced rock albums of all time. Click this link to learn how they were produced. Goto www.protools.com, and click on the "Users" tab. Scroll to the bottom and hit "Next Page" than click the link that says "archive". Than click the "Music" catagory. A frame will appear on the right. scroll down to where it says "Tool". Unfortunately you can't directly link to it because the website is all frames. There are also lots of other stories on there too.

Fumbling on Ecstasy said:

There are also lots of other stories on there too.

Indeed! Thanks for the info. I've visited digidesign's site but never got in that deep :-].

I'm going to have to read up on Bjork, Herbie Hancock, and Underworld, too :-].

Thanks for the warm welcome, all :-].

Potentio said:

Indeed! Thanks for the info. I've visited digidesign's site but never got in that deep :-].

I'm going to have to read up on Bjork, Herbie Hancock, and Underworld, too :-].

Thanks for the warm welcome, all :-].

Welcome!!! Glad to have you aboard.

Welcome.

I would have to say that Default has the best produced albums. If you heard the crap they started with, you'd be shocked too.

Same goes for the new album.

Thanks FOE for the Tool link
I know saying the words LINKIN PARK might cause a laugh (im not a fan) but nicly produced album (the first one) dunno about the new one.

Prodigys fat of the land is very well made, older doobie brothers, steeley dan.
Newer stuff like Disturbed (what cameleon said) good stuff.
Nitin Sawney does great indian/brittish style stuff.

Underworld, Orbital, Crystal Method, Thievery corporation.
Pink floyd (not a fan tho) newer chemical brothers stuff.

- Spice girls??! lol.

I think Seal and Sting both have well produced music.
check them out if you are into that kind of music.

Fumbling on Ecstasy said:

The last two tool albums are perhaps the best produced rock albums of all time. Click this link to learn how they were produced. Goto www.protools.com, and click on the "Users" tab. Scroll to the bottom and hit "Next Page" than click the link that says "archive". Than click the "Music" catagory. A frame will appear on the right. scroll down to where it says "Tool". Unfortunately you can't directly link to it because the website is all frames. There are also lots of other stories on there too.

Interesting... I knew Bottrill was heavy into analog. Quite surprised learning that he also used ProTools.

Thanks for the read. Tool, A Perfect Circle, Garbage are a few of my favorite all round produced. Protools may be something to look into in the future, when i'm rich. For the money I was hoping for something a little nicer looking, it's not bad but I can't help thinking the console looks like something out of an old cheezy sci fi movie, like the first star trek series.

Shovel said:

Interesting... I knew Bottrill was heavy into analog. Quite surprised learning that he also used ProTools.

He definitely went hi-tech with the last Mudvayne album

Shovel said:
I think we can add A Perfect Circle to the list. Great production, on both CDs.

Actually, the first CD sucked in terms of production/mastering. It was fairly anemic in the sense that it really had no low end. I still loved almost every song on that album dispite it's production. this latest album however, is great every way around. It's completely full and powerful.

Cameleon said:
i also think kittie has some nice production on the CD's

Yeah, making those girls sound good is more like the work that David Copperfield or David Blaine do....

How about some of the worst production. Some that come to mind:
Deftones- Around the Fur
Tool- Undertow (Still, not as bad as Deftones but could've been better.)
Most Industrial bands on Metropolis or Cleopatra
more to come...

Oh, another good produced album: NIN- The Fragile.

Shovel said:
How about some of the worst production. Some that come to mind:
Deftones- Around the Fur

Didn't Terry Date produce that one? If he did, that will tell you why the production could have been better and I seem to have misplaced my copy.

I personally think that 99% of all new records are produced poorly and/or sound cold and sterile.

A record like Steely Dan's "Aja" or The Clash's "Sandinista" sound soo much warmer and better than whatever's out now.

Back