is rock music dead

i find this 'dead' talk amusing.

seriously, if you don't like what you're listening to on the radio, invest in a CD player and don't add to the listenership of the stations.

like 99 percent of you are on Myspace, the freaking social center of the underground-new-interesting world, but you're complaining about not hearing anything new? what the hell.

join ****ing emusic. 10 free albums a month. you'll quickly tire out your bling-hop standbys and lil' wayne single/european imports with that and be forced to explore music purely with your ears for once.

DonaldCrunk said:
i find this 'dead' talk amusing.

seriously, if you don't like what you're listening to on the radio, invest in a CD player and don't add to the listenership of the stations.

like 99 percent of you are on Myspace, the freaking social center of the underground-new-interesting world, but you're complaining about not hearing anything new? what the hell.

join ****ing emusic. 10 free albums a month. you'll quickly tire out your bling-hop standbys and lil' wayne single/european imports with that and be forced to explore music purely with your ears for once.
so who do you think has the best rock music out right now that is better than what we allready heard

Last edited:
TonyV said:
so who do you think has the best rock music out right now that is better than what we allready heard

taste in music isn't absolute like that. there isn't a best.

who has the most innovative, interesting music out? i don't know. There's too much music out there for someone to be able to make that statement.

On the radio? that, maybe, is a little easier to answer. Around here, on pop format radio, the most innovative and interesting stuff is probably new radiohead. at least to me.

again, it's all relative, and the radio isn't _for_ new music. the radio is for advertisers to make money, and music that people know and will listen to.

Vhz said:
And I hate ROCK because it's mostly just Distorted guitar and drum beating, and screaming instead of singing. and noise instead of music!

Listen to some Nightwish, Leaves Eyes or Rhapsody of Fire, then get back to me.

^agreed. I liked them back when The Bends came out (I think that was the album title), with that acoustic track "Plastic Trees"...that was a good album but then OK Computer came out and I started veering away from Radiohead.

Mostly American and British music today is Crap!

I used to listen to one radio sstation, it was in different language that i didn;t understand, it was broadcasted once a week.
I didn't understand a single word, but it was MUSIC!!!

Forbidden_Silence said:
Listen to some Nightwish, Leaves Eyes or Rhapsody of Fire, then get back to me.

Yeah Man! That's more like what i'm talking about!

I'm sick of people listening to Metallica, AC/DC, Slipknot, System of a Down, etc....

Last edited:
TonyV said:

it's a long list, but i'll start it off...

neurosis
high on fire
earth
down
mastodon
baroness
isis
dax riggs (formerly of acid bath)
gojira
cavalera conspiracy (the new soulfly/sepultura project)
deftones
weedeater
cult of luna
om
jesu (RIP godflesh though)
fantomas
pig destroyer

and obviously, tool and radiohead

just go to youtube and check out what any of the above bands have to offer.

Last edited:
Vhz said:
Yeah Man! That's more like what i'm talking about!

I'm sick of people listening to Metallica, AC/DC, Slipknot, System of a Down, etc....

Only band I really listen to out of those is System of a Down. Most of what I listen to nowadays is symphonic or folk metal of some sort (at least as far as rock and metal goes).

Yes! How could I forget about System of a Down! The bassist is working on a project with RZA right now. That should be interesting.

GreenBurn said:
Yes! How could I forget about System of a Down! The bassist is working on a project with RZA right now. That should be interesting.

Say what, say what...System is dope...RZA/Dre=main reason I believed I could make music too...so sounds fresh!

Haha, don't mean to diss future producers at all here.. So don't take me wrong but as I was reading your post what else do I see but a add.. FREE RINGTONE Soulja Boy on your mobile.. Don't take me the wrong way because I know we need advertising to keep this site alive but cmon EXACTLY what everyone is arguing about.

yeah its hard nowadays to hear proper rockin songs
i believe airbourne is bring back the balls to rock, which it so desperatly needs!
they're kinda ACDC-esque, probably something in the water here in australia huh? haha

aaaaah and vains of jenna! their pretty ****in good man

Last edited by a moderator:
2nice said:
and obviously, tool and radiohead

I 2nd That. or third, could be that I fourth that ...if I missed something. -take it all higher, four degrees warmer now, give in now..give in now..- I hate reading lyrics on boards yet I felt compelled to write them..fkn tool.

I think if people just quit sampling and resampling other peoples stuff, learn to sing or pick up an instrument and actually start playing and writing again all the genres will come back to life. Maybe if we started writing music again that moved us and sounds cool again instead of using it to sell products, all the genres would come back to life... Maybe i'm just getting old...

Just like rap and hip hop.. it's dead to others because they hear the mainstream and radio side of it

very true....also, keep in mind the age factor. Good music relates to the days you remember a good time. I remember hearing some Alice n' Chains getting stoned in the 90's...so it's all relative. Same for Hip Hop. For both genre...you have to dig for the good stuff.

There will be some sort of musical revolution next decade I think. But chances are bands or musicians that you like will continue producing albums and you're still going to enjoy them.

Hopefully the new Metallica kicks ass.

I think indie rock is one of the only "genres" of music that is growing artistically. What you hear on the radio is overproduced garbage.

Back