Nu-Metal dead?

[][][][]ROK[][][][] said:
Ever heard of a little band called System of a Down? Nu metal cant be dead beacuse they are really hot right now.

Dude, really.

1. Do you think you were the only person to watch Mtv or listen to rock radio in 2001/2002?
2. SOAD aren't nu-metal.
3. No, they aren't hot right now.

System of a Down is kind of in their own category. Not totally nu metal, not thrash... They dont fit any molds really. Mostly metal though wouldnt you agree?

someone mentioned metal in the late 90's suck. Korn's been around since 96, if I remember. Cannibal Corpse isn't "nu metal" either. SOAD isn't new metaI.

I"m not old, but people have to realize that what they grew up with as teenagers is their scene. I graduated in 97, and I was into Pantera, Testament, White Zombie, etc. I"m sure guys who's teenage years fell in the eighties thought L.A. Guns were the sh*t. Anyways, the radio friendly hard hitting power cords of the mesa boogie age is not as prominent. Doesn't mean metal has died. It is going through a trend right now. Now you hear less polished (garage sounding) bands like the Strokes breaking ground. Back in the nineties, it was grunge; in the 70's and 80's, punk. History repeats itself, but in a new form. Rap, Rock? That was done by Run"DMC and Aerosmith. Hell, Aerosmith and a few other bands were doing something real close to rapping on a few tracks. Anyways, I've had enough beer tonight, so goodnight.

Last edited:
not dead...just going on to the next step...we all know whats coming

what's comming next..?
don get me wrong...i m hardcore fan of rap metal but even new inkinpark and korn is not satisfying...

Unsystematic said:
someone mentioned metal in the late 90's suck. Korn's been around since 96, if I remember. Cannibal Corpse isn't "nu metal" either. SOAD isn't new metaI.

I"m not old, but people have to realize that what they grew up with as teenagers is their scene. I graduated in 97, and I was into Pantera, Testament, White Zombie, etc. I"m sure guys who's teenage years fell in the eighties thought L.A. Guns were the sh*t. Anyways, the radio friendly hard hitting power cords of the mesa boogie age is not as prominent. Doesn't mean metal has died. It is going through a trend right now. Now you hear less polished (garage sounding) bands like the Strokes breaking ground. Back in the nineties, it was grunge; in the 70's and 80's, punk. History repeats itself, but in a new form. Rap, Rock? That was done by Run"DMC and Aerosmith. Hell, Aerosmith and a few other bands were doing something real close to rapping on a few tracks. Anyways, I've had enough beer tonight, so goodnight.
i m class of 98.. hehehe we are from same era....
and i feel you
when 3dolla bill manson's anit christ, and childrne of korn came out i was blasting thos tracks in my dad 95 BMW haha
back than those sound were so frsh but now everyone sound same..

"nu-metal" doesn't mean rap metal. nu-metal is more defined by the style of guitar playing. (yes i do play guitar)

RanCIDmilk said:

i m class of 98.. hehehe we are from same era....
and i feel you
when 3dolla bill manson's anit christ, and childrne of korn came out i was blasting thos tracks in my dad 95 BMW haha
back than those sound were so frsh but now everyone sound same..

I used to listen to white zombie, pantera and korn (actaully came out in '94). SOAD is technically considered "nu-metal". They started in '95, but so did slipnkot. Not really hitting the scene until their 2000 major debut. "nu-metal" is basically people trying to "bring back metal" hence the name "nu-metal". Metal was never really dead, it just switched generations. Like other styles of music. New generations take over where the ones before left off. Look at jazz. The big band era has been over for 60 or 65 years, younger people like brian setzer and a slue of other younger artists are doing big band. Scenes never "die" they change. Metal is not dead!

geoff_emerick said:

I used to listen to white zombie, pantera and korn (actaully came out in '94). SOAD is technically considered "nu-metal". They started in '95, but so did slipnkot. Not really hitting the scene until their 2000 major debut. "nu-metal" is basically people trying to "bring back metal" hence the name "nu-metal". Metal was never really dead, it just switched generations. Like other styles of music. New generations take over where the ones before left off. Look at jazz. The big band era has been over for 60 or 65 years, younger people like brian setzer and a slue of other younger artists are doing big band. Scenes never "die" they change. Metal is not dead!

Very good point dude(said in the tone of voice of snake from the Simpsons)couldnt have put it better:cheers:

geoff_emerick: good point. excuse me, 94' for Korn then. My mistake. All the pot smoking in my teenage years ran my highschool years together making my memory kind of fuzzy. Anyways, you summed it up quicker and explained it better than I did. I agree.

...core seems to be the new fad. Hardcore, metalcore, emocore, mathcore, applecore. Just sounds like punk metal to me.

Korn sucks and Nu Metal is dead, get over it. I agree that subgenre names are retarded but bands like Norma Jean, As I Lay Dying, and From A Second Story Window are taking over the underground. Bands like Thursday and Across Five Aprils are taking over the popular hard music scene. Straight Edge and Hardcore is taking over. Moshers are replaced by Dancers. Face paint and masks are replaced by long hair, now get the heck over it.

Nu-Metal is like grunge i think was good when it was out but it peaked and everyone started to sound the same.. Yeah the core sound is taking over i think. im not a fan but what the hey, i can live in hope of a pantera reunion..

i think what u really mean is that when Kurt Cobain died grunge died also...the rest were fakers!!!

i think the whole "Nu-metal" thing was producer Ross Robinson's fault!
But his Productions Suck now and are in poor taste....

i like nu-metal. i want more korn like bands but they always have a flaw in them keeping them from being heavy enough. i kinda gave up on it all. Korns latest cd was enough to satisfy me for a while. i just couldnt not get enough... it was sooo ****in heavy.I decided to look for some more music like this, and slowly but surely found nothing that compared in my opinion.

I wasnt talking about Cobain i was talking about grunge being so popular people tried ti imitate and they failed. A bit like what thefuzmixman has just said about korn.

Good music is good music. I grew up on hair bands. Most sucked really bad, but the great ones like G&R still demand respect. The same goes for nu-metal. Admittedly, nu-metal has lost momentum, but deserting them for "The" bands and 70's throwback bands is just following the industry hype. Bands like The Hives, Jet, and The Vines will be gone in no time. They are marginal at best. Funny that nobody mentions Linkin Park. The simple fact is, following industry trends is like following a blind man through a packed club. They generally think they know where they're going, but usually end up in the ....ter. Saying nu-metal is dead is simply oversimplifying matters. The bad nu-metal bands that we put up with for awhile are dead, not the good ones.

CrackBack said:
Good music is good music. I grew up on hair bands. Most sucked really bad, but the great ones like G&R still demand respect.

No, G&R doesn't demand respect Axle does. Once dubbed as the "bad boy" of rock music and is now, the butt of every joke in rock music. People like that are jokes and survive on ego. Same thing happened with Ozzy. He used to drink piss and eat birds, but seems to me like now he can barely get around his house. It's all one big show. Ozzy's kids didnt even cuss 5 years ago. Its a big fvcking act.

-Geoffrey

5 years ago they were too young to cuss. lol. ozzy has lost his mind from all the .... he did when he has done in the past. its a underlying message that MTV has put out saying "don't do drugs...ever."

well at least, i put my crack pipe down... till the show was over..or a comercial break...then i start fiending again, you know, getting those waves that flush over my body, like heat flashes, but less femine and more macho, cuz im very masculine. I know girls who smoke crack. they have such pretty teeth, and they give me head often.... no, they don't. that's a lie. wait...

what's crack again?

Back