Metal dudes hate rap?

M

Mr Nice Guy

Most of the metal heads i know hate rap.

Can you stand it?

I love Papa Roach and Evanescence but also R&B and like Rap. Now I guess those two bands are not metal but yeah... Metalica is really good to me too especially The Unforgiven is a dope song.

Yes. Im a metal head and I also rap as well as play guitar. Too many people get stuck being one dimensional.

Before I got interested in rap/hip-hop I was into all sorts of metal, punk and ska.. hardcore, post-hardcore.. whatever you want to call it. At that time I didn't like rap.. Didn't really give it much of a chance though.

Allot of the metal heads i meet really don't try to go deep into rap instead they mostly hear whats on the radio and judge. But not every metal does this, don't get me wrong.

A lot of rap/hip hop heads do the same to Metal. If you like it then listen to it, I wouldn't worry about the genre so much. The metal bands I occasionally listen to include Metallica, Pantera, Soulfly, Sepultura, Slipknot, Stone Sour, Sevendust, Fear Factory, Slayer, Disturbed, Korn, Dream Theater and a few others. I don't mind putting my entire media library on random occasionally :).

Yeah i know, i myself love rock/metal i favorite Band has to be Death the death metal band not the punk one,and my fav album is Sol Niger Within.I like all types of music,even tho most hip hop head then to say every rock song is satanic.

I can easily say Metal/Alternative Rock is among my favorite genres along with Rap and R&B. I have metal head friends that hate rap, not because it's rap but it seems that Metal Heads are more inclined to understand Music Theory and most will tell me that rap is just too simple for their tastes. A lot of Metal Heads are used to hearing breakdowns, time changes, key changes, etc. So when they hear a Hip Hop song on 4/4 time and barely covering 2 intervals in 1 key they tend to get really bored really quick. Rap fans and Metal heads are just trained to hear music in a different way. I'm proud that I can appreciate the two genres simultaneously without leaning to a specific one, but I look for different things when i'm listening to them.

Last edited:
A pretty supportive piece of my fans actually listen to metal or ar part of bands... i did my first show as the only rap act at a metal show and actually got good reception. a lot of people dont percieve hiphop to be the at it is cause theyre so used to whats on the radio

A lot of metal heads are stuck up idiots. Some of the metal fanbase is even worse than the hip hop fanbase. Trust me I got some experience because prior to POP/RnB and Rap I was basically listening to Rock Music, Heavy Metal etc. and learned how to play the guitar. I was a member of a guitar forum and the level of ignorance even towards heavy metal bands like metallica was horrible. I mean how can you hate a band that basically defined the genre ?

elitism? its kind of how like some underground hiphop heads wont listen to someone unless their vocabulary is off the wall... you o realize that some of the first lyrics were "dont push me cause im close to the edge, im tryin not to lose my head?" come on now.

I love rock, progressive rock, alternative rock, heavy metal, nu-metal, pretty much anything heart pumping and gets me going. But, its good to also be able to sit back and chill and just nod your head to tight beats and a good lyrics. You def got have a wide range of musical taste, esp if you are trying to get inot the record label thing. I just love all music!

I definitely can't stand when people are closed in to one genre of music. Music is universal, and for those who bind themselves to one style are only limiting their potential as a musician.

I can easily say Metal/Alternative Rock is among my favorite genres along with Rap and R&B. I have metal head friends that hate rap, not because it's rap but it seems that Metal Heads are more inclined to understand Music Theory and most will tell me that rap is just too simple for their tastes. A lot of Metal Heads are used to hearing breakdowns, time changes, key changes, etc. So when they hear a Hip Hop song on 4/4 time and barely covering 2 intervals in 1 key they tend to get really bored really quick.

The two genres are very different, but I wouldn't say that rock/metal is more complicated than hip hop music. There are plenty of beats that are way more complex and intricate than metal/rock songs. In fact, many times rock/metal songs are completely dull and simple. And there's a ton of "guitarists" that don't really know any theory at all; all they know is power chords!

Last edited:
Back